The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yeah agree. First hour was brilliant then turned into shite. Brandos performance was weird in that movie although I know there was a reason for it I can't remember. Drunk I'm guessing?! But can't remember the story if someone can refresh my memory

I love Apocalypse Now - Brando turned up 150lb overweight so they had to film most of his scenes in constant shadow - for me Robert Duvall steals it and I can never get over how young Laurence Fishburne looks (he lied about his age to get involved.)

Yeah agree. First hour was brilliant then turned into shite. Brandos performance was weird in that movie although I know there was a reason for it I can't remember. Drunk I'm guessing?! But can't remember the story if someone can refresh my memory

I love Apocalypse Now - Brando turned up 150lb overweight so they had to film most of his scenes in constant shadow - for me Robert Duvall steals it and I can never get over how young Laurence Fishburne looks (he lied about his age to get involved.)

Despite getting paid a ridiculous amount of money for a short period of work Brando couldn't even be bothered to read the source novel. The doc Hearts of Darkness is worth watching to see the toll it all took on Coppola.

francis-ford-coppola-apocalypse-now.jpeg

The-strained-making-of-apocalypse-now.

Interesting article on that...

When Brando arrived, he shocked everybody – he was enormous, maybe 300 pounds. "You couldn't see around him," says Frederickson. This gave Coppola palpitations, as he had envisioned Kurtz as a lean and hungry warrior. Also, what the hell was he going to wear? There was no Green Beret uniform on earth big enough!

Yeah Chris I thought it was meh too. I think it's just one of those cinematic artsy thingies for purists. Excellently shot and probably an example to novice directors on how things are done etc etc, but not that accessible. As a result, I suspect it's 'the done thing' to say it's great.

Raging Bull is great.

It's all becoming clear...

I've never seen the whole AN yet. Always found it too boring to get through it all. But I've decided I will.

Talking about comedies I've just watched The history of the world Part 1. That is a sick film. :) I like Mel Brooks, though there are a few dull moments here and there. But at least 6/10.

Whilst on the subject of Robert Duvall has anybody seen this?

41HA76Y3ASL._SY355_.jpg

Duvall alongside Ally McCoist as a Scottish football manager.  How surreal can you get?

its really shambolic

I recently bought the Aliens box set on Blu-Ray. I've never watched any of them properly before. Sat down and watched them all fully engrossed.

I thought that Alien3 was the best one.

The dank and dinginess of it gives it an atmosphere that none of the others have.

Although Alien gets extra marks for those white knickers Sigourney Weaver wears.

Interesting.  Can't say I've ever seen somebody go for 3.  The first two are both very highly regarded in the own right as two very different types of film, but 3 seems to fall short to most people.  Oh, while I'm here, don't even bother watching Alien Resurrection.  Appalling.

The best Alien film is Alien, of course, but 3 is I think a bit of an overlooked gem. It's grimier more personal film than Aliens, and while it has it's flaws theres nothing outright bad about it. The Assembly Cut makes it a genuinely good film imo.

It also does the entire world a favour by killing off Newt within a minute of the film starting, and thankfully long before her mouth opened.

I always get struck at just what an awesome looking piece of work it is too - some of the shots of the planet early on, all the exterior shots really, look brilliantly grim and foreboding and inhospitable, like a post industrial wasteland writ large over an apocalyptic landscape. It even gets right down into some of the design - the flares they use for lights and torches look brilliantly cobbled together with few concerns for operator health.

Resurrection, meanwhile, only has a single saving grace - Winona Ryder being in it. Overwise it's a recently expelled boozy kebab consigned to celluloid for 2 hours you'll never get back. Hopeless bit of trash shot with bizarrely whacky 'Frenchness' throughout that only helps make entire thing feel like some abortive attempt at satire.

• Like 1

I've never seen Anchorman

I feel a part of my life may be incomplete

Probably depends on whether you like Will Ferrell or not. If you do then your life is very much incomplete. Plus it has a lot of quotable lines. An annoying amount if you ask people who don't like the film :D

I really like " stranger than fiction" and thought he was great in that

Into the Wild. 

Liked it a lot, have gained much respect for Sean Penn as a director. 

Great soundtrack too. 

Tragic story though, although having read a little more about the real life version of events, he (McCandless) came across a little less sympathetic.

• Like 1

Into the Wild. 

Liked it a lot, have gained much respect for Sean Penn as a director. 

Great soundtrack too. 

Tragic story though, although having read a little more about the real life version of events, he (McCandless) came across a little less sympathetic.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but Vedder did a good job on the soundtrack. 

McCandless was a well-meaning idiot. With just a little bit of preparation and thought he could have done all that and lived to tell the tale. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â