World of Warcraft

The_Rev

Spent 2 boring hours before the server went offline getting my engineering up to 230ish. My bags are full of all sorts of useless shit but by tomorrow I should have acquired some tasty inventions. MC cap, underwater breathing, uber gimp fire res, bombs, whatever sam used to open the gate in BRD, jumper cables to bring people back to life, and of course the Death Ray!

Repair bots are useful in instances too, and Sam do you have something that can make you walk on water or did I imagine that?

We must do a full BRD run as well, to get the lads attuned to MC and to get hold of the buffed drops. I went there after the patch and some of the drops are ace, theres some fire res boots I need too. The only problem is finding the way around, I swear, theres boss after boss after boss its a total maze.

I agree Dan, BRD is the only instance it's possible to get completely lost in!

Trouble is, unlike LBRS/UBRS I only did BRD maybe 2 or 3 times max, so don't know my way around at all well.

More Warcraft comedy gold!

Nicked from the Dashers general thread, where there was much bleating. Basically, some girl died in the US, so her family and WoW friends organised an online funeral for her.

In Winterspring. Yes, that high level contested area.... Cue the action!

Ganked!

I might be a bit sick, but the sight of the guild riding towards the "funeral" together made me laugh so much I spat my coffee out at work!

Yeah, i saw that a couple of weeks ago.

Part of me laughed out loud.

Part of me thought the people who did it were clearings in the woods.

But advertising that there will be something like this on a realm forum and not expecting any violence? Just stupidity? There are plenty of non contested areas on the game, arent there?

Oh, we now have a 60 mage who can make the good water. And you know the Felhide cap dropping boss? You might want to sit down here, but she didnt drop the cap! Seems like it only has a 99.9% droprate!

mon teh spellpower! (Nayson has 290)

An explanation of +damage and +healing items

There is some confusion about how these effects work and how effective they are, so I wanted to explain what they do.

When an item has the effect "Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 20", the damage dealt or hit points healed by one of your spells will be increased by a fixed amount up to 20. The actual amount that the spell is increased by is not determined randomly, but by which spell you are casting. You are not receiving a random bonus value between 1 and 20 whenever you cast a spell. Some random items, such as those with the property "of Shadow Wrath", indicate that they provide "+X Shadow Spell Damage". The actual amount of the bonus is again determined by the spell being cast. There are a few items that do provide a random bonus, such as Dreamweave Gloves, but their effect notes the randomness by stating that item's bonus as "up to 1 to 19." Once again, the bonus received could be reduced depending on the spell being cast.

Spells with longer casting times such as Fireball and Greater Heal will receive the full bonus listed every time they cast the spell. Spells with instant or short cast times receive a fraction of the bonus listed. As an example of such a spell, Flash Heal (Rank 7) only receives approximately 43% of the item bonus. Talents or other effects that might change the casting time of the spell will not change the bonus; the amount received is a property of the spell being cast.

Most long duration Damage and Heal over time spells have the bonus divided amongst every tick. So Renew, which lasts 15 seconds and heals an amount every 3 seconds, has 20% of the bonus applied each tick. In a similar fashion, channeled spells also have the item bonus divided amongst every tick of the spell's duration.

Lower level spells receive a greatly reduced benefit from these effects.

These effects all stack. So if a Mage is wearing 3 items that provide up to +20 Fire damage, you will have a combined +60 to Fire damage. This means every high level Fireball cast will inflict an extra 60 damage to the target.

These bonuses are also added to the effect of the spell before the 50% bonus from a critical spell hit is applied.

Note that there is currently a bug in the game that affects heals over time such as Renew and Rejuvenation. The +healing items worn by the caster are only providing the appropriate healing bonus if the caster is also the target of the spell. Direct heals such as Greater Heal work fine, and the +Healing bonuses are being appropriately applied. Damage over time spells are also working properly. We're working to fix this bug, but currently I can not provide any kind of ETA on the fix.

To get the full damage or heal bonus, a direct damage spell or direct heal spell must have a casting time of at least 3.5 seconds. So spells such as Fireball and Greater Heal gain the full effect from +damage or +heal items. Frostbolt has a 3.0 second casting time and an additional secondary frost effect, so it also has a reduced effect from +damage or +heal items. Each Frostbolt gains 81.4% of the listed damage bonus. Casting time reduction talents such as Improved Frostbolt will not effect the amount of bonus applied. The percentage amount of the bonus decreases as the base casting time of a spell decreases.

Here are some other examples of damage or heal bonus coefficients for direct damage and healspells.

Shadow Bolt (3 second casting time): 0.857

Smite (2.5 second casting time): 0.714

Wrath (2.0 second casting time: 0.571

Flash Heal (1.5 second casting time): 0.429

Scorch (1.5 second casting time): 0.429

Fire Blast (instant casting time): 0.429

Daelo

Game Designer

I've never played WoW, but I saw this on theonion.com and thought of you guys:

Baby, You Mean The World Of Warcraft To Me

April 19, 2006 | Issue 42•16

Come on, honey, why do you have to be like that? You know that you're my Elven princess. My one and only. I would dare say that there is no one in all the realm who doesn't know of our love. I have sung your praises from the mouth of the Shadowthread Cave to the Stranglethorn Vale of the Eastern Kingdoms. I've introduced you to my comrades-in-arms in the Ulster guild, and they all accept you as kin.

And now you want to dissolve the greatest love ever to brighten my basement?

When we met, I was looking for a group fit to take the Zul'Gurub instance. But as I stocked up on provisions at the convenience store before my quest, and our eyes locked, I realized that I was not looking for a group, I was looking for love, and I found it in you. You are the sun, the moon, the Cinderhide Armsplints of the Monkey. There is so much we have to offer one another. Unfailing loyalty, a Strength of 250, someone who can go out for snacks in the heat of battle. Can't you see we're made for each other?

Darling, no orc can keep me from you. I would make my way into the heart of Moonglade and fight an army of trolls just to be by your side. I would go up against Varimathras, the ruler of the Undead himself, if he so much as hinted that he was a danger to you. Make no mistake, I would get aggro on anyone who would threaten you.

This is, of course, provided the system is not down due to a faulty patch.

Don't you see that I did it all for you? My love for you exceeds Level 60, higher than anyone thought possible in this fantastic computer universe. My spirit soars when you are near. You restore my mana with a kiss. I even named my epic mount after you. Her name is Helen, and her hair shimmers in the sunlight, and together we ride forward into destiny.

I would climb the highest peak of Mount Hyjal to toil for 100 days and 100 nights in the mines in order to extract the precious ore so that I may fashion you a necklace of the finest thorium. My warrior, Hammuster, devoted his game's life to the professions of mining and smithing just so that I might accomplish that very thing. All you need do is join me in the WoW and hold the necklace up to the virtual sun. Then you may see the efforts I have expended to create this thing of beauty for you. The dishes can wait until tomorrow.

Helen, my mage, when I was ganked by a lowly rogue from Tennessee in the Caverns of Time and stripped of my treasured belongings, I rose from the grave with one purpose in mind. I had to be resurrected, not to seek revenge, but to return to you.

There is no other way to put it: You take my breath bar away.

Why do we need to go out to have fun? Everything we could possibly want is right in WoW. Fine dining, theater, romantic sunsets—they're all there. The outside world just costs money, and I don't have a magic breastplate to protect me from people's stares. Come with me so I can treat you like the princess you are.

Please, baby, if you leave, you will increase by 32 percent the chance of doing direct damage to my heart. Please reconsider.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47492

Ah, but ive never been seen hitting anything with a stick, or a sword or a mace!

Exactly, you get a bird to fight for you!

Nah. She just wiggles her tits at them, and i clearing in the woods em while they arent looking.

http://media.putfile.com/Double-Deathray-FTW

View it in 800.

Watch as me and dan go lazergun happy! (and i forget that i moved my deathray button to a different part of the screen)

I think its the way that (s)he absolutely gets sent flying at the end that makes it for me.

Oh, and i did one on my own the day i got my deathray:

http://media.putfile.com/Gnomish-Death-Ray-ftw-

view it in 800

It can crit nicely :)

Â