The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

It's just par for the course when you go to the elite clubs, you manage for a year or two, get sacked and then pop up somewhere else.

Unless of course a British coach ever turns up somewhere like there. Sacked and they'd probably be just allowed back in to manage in the Conference.

With his salary i guess its not a problem as he gets a big pay-off, Champions League in the bank and will have other clubs sniffing around.

Arguably his reputation is in a much better state than when Mourinho left 2 summers back

Big question is where does that leave Clement. West Ham maybe?

Edited by Zatman

so if Barcelona do the treble with a lesser squad than 2009, think it will prove to me that Guardiola is no great manager as I doubt people will say the same about Enrique

so if Barcelona do the treble with a lesser squad than 2009, think it will prove to me that Guardiola is no great manager as I doubt people will say the same about Enrique

I dont think you need Barcelona to win in order to prove this to you!

• Like 2

Firstly, that's a little simplistic because you need to take into account your opposition when assessing whether winning with a lesser side is a better or equal achievement from one year to the next. Also, it doesn't automatically follow that Guardiola isn't a great manager just because he happened to achieve what he achieved with a great squad. That's 2 possible logic fails there.

• Like 3

lesser squad but a far better attack. If they win its because of the front three. Like i said before, I think its the best front 3 any club has ever had. 

Guardiola built the core using the younger players. He didn't have forwards worth a combined £130m (really it's even more when the entire cost of the Neymar deal is taken into account) in his first season. Messi, Iniesta, Busquets were not world-class when he arrived. Not taking away from what Enrique is doing but the job Pep did was incredible.

dont know. Busquets wasnt but the other 2 were just hitting world class in 2008. Iniesta was one of best players in Euro 2008 and was Barca best player the season before and Messi everybody knew had the ability but questioned his fitness

luis enrique will be remembered in the same way, he was ok, had world class players that got him through

the reality is that yes he does have world class players but he still has to get them playing, he's got 3 strikers and plays with 1 up top and 3 wide, has to get that balance right

pep in a similar fashion had a team full of world class players but he still had to get them to work as a team, and they didnt half work as a team, i will always believe that what made barca a special team (and spain, and atletico now) was how hard they worked off the ball, shape, organisation, desire, their ability to press and win the ball back was what made them great, the possession stats werent just daft because they kept the ball for ages, they also stopped their opponents from controlling games, that comes from pep, same as it comes from simeone at atletico, its one of the hardest things to do in football, IMO its why english teams are so poor at the moment, we dont know how / are too lazy to press the ball as a team

Pep's Barcelona was one of the best teams I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

That makes him a great manager for me. I don't care how good the players he inherited were.

the front 3 was so good they werent even highest scorers in their league ;)

My calculations are that the Real Madrid front 3 got a combined total of 75 in la liga and Barcelona's 81 even though Suarez has missed a large chunk of the season. Ronaldo scored more than Messi but Neymar and Suarez are well ahead of Benzema and Bale. 

Luis Enrique needs to do it somewhere else, as I've said before he failed at Roma, did alright at Celta Vigo but as it stands I'm put him in the Bernd Schuster category of managers although probably higher if he gets a european cup on his C.V.

Barcelona appoint based on philosophy more than anything. Rijkaard got the job after relegating an Eredivisie side. Pep had moderate success with the B team. Martino was a relative unknown. They actually wanted Enrique last summer after Tito had to suddenly resign but he had just been appointed by Celta.

I don't agree that anybody could've done well, especially on the verge of a treble as they are currently primed to do. They were at a low ebb after the failure of last season. Pep's set-up had become stale and needed restructuring. Enrique did that, the transitions are a lot more direct and they are now very potent on the counter. He generated a backlash for even attempting this. Halfway through the season the fans wanted him gone and his exit seemed inevitable with the announcement of new club president elections. Yet he persevered, it clicked and they are on the verge of their best season since 08/09. He deserves tremendous credit for this.

I agree he deserves credit and winning the treble would be a great achievement. But I was speaking more generally on the Barca job. People can tell me Tito was a tremendous manager because of what he did at Barca, and I'll think they're wrong. Certainly more down to the players.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â