The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

From what I can tell about the Owen story, he didn't really settle in Madrid either.  He lived in a hotel the entire time he was there and he didn't mix socially with the other players.  Part of this is understandable, at the time he had a one year old baby and anybody who has had a kid can tell you what being a parent does to your social life, this is probably amplified if you move to a new country and don't have any pre existing friendships or any family members to help with babysitting. Owen probably felt it was right that he spent his time with his wife and child, sadly that probably undermined his career as a footballer. 

think Madrid fans took to Bale at end of last season his goals in the cup final and Champions League win made him a hero.

as for British players abroad hargreaves was probably the biggest success since 2000

I'm not sure I really count Hargreaves.  He was definitely successful, but I don't consider him to be British.  He is a Canadian who's England career was a marriage of convenience. He had never even lived in England until he signed for Manchester United and by then he already had 39 (of his 42) England caps.  I'm not sure whether he travels on a British or Canadian passport but I think he is still a Canadian citizen which suggests he travels on a Canadian passport. 

Edited by The_Rev

he scored a couple of really important goals didnt he? not just the great champions league final goal

from what i can remember he joined madrid at a time when there were properly in the shit and yet somehow they won a fair bit

they won champions league a year before he joined, bit harsh to say they were in the shit. He joined a Madrid who were more workmanlike though compared to galacticos

they had huge money trouble didnt they?

im sure mcmanaman joined in the same summer as they flogged all their star players, suker, mijatovic, seedorf etc all left, he was at madrid before the galacticos and at a time when they were really struggling off the pitch but somehow very successful on it and he also wasnt a galactico and didnt get much game time but refused to give up and leave which is why i think he is so fondly remembered in madrid

was more of a rebuilding Madrid, Suker adn Mijatovic were nearly past it by then, when he joined they still had Redondo, Raul, Roberto Carlos, Seedorf and Anelka and won Champions League that season. next year Perez came in wiped out debt and signed Figo

They solved the money problems with a very very shady property deal with the city of Madrid council. It's still in court now but it was basically state aid.

McManaman joined the season they won the Champions League didn't he? He certainly has two winners medals. He scored and was man of the match in the all Spanish final of 2000, and he came on as a sub in the 2002 final which was the game when Zidane scored that quite incredible volley.

Just found out...

Sky Sports are unable to screen the first quarter of an hour of Barça's eagerly awaited clash away to Real Madrid because no British broadcaster is allowed to show live football between 2.45pm and 5.15pm. The rule is designed to protect attendances at British games with a 3pm kick-off.

What an absolute nonsense.

When I saw the teams, I thought Barca would win.

Sky put Madrid as a 4-4-2 with Isco and James playing as wide midfielders although I assume they adopted more central positions in the game. Barca just looked more balanced to me with their 4-3-3 particularly their front trio which one Suarez gets his fitness up looks devastating. 

The issue I have is their three in midfield, surely they need fresh blood in there now? Xavi was getting phased out last season but started last night and Iniesta is 30 now and isn't quite impacting game as he used to.

On a general thing, it's incredible to see how big this game has become in the U.K now. When I first started watching in 2000 Sky were showing it but you'd be lucky if you got a line or two in a British newspaper.

Now all pubs show it, BBC had it as one of it's lead stories on its news bulletin before MOTD last night and on the BBC website I noticed they did player ratings which you don't even get for the big prem games.

The issue I have is their three in midfield, surely they need fresh blood in there now? Xavi was getting phased out last season but started last night and Iniesta is 30 now and isn't quite impacting game as he used to.

rakitic is there who will be the long term replacement for xavi, but sergi roberto and rafinha arent there and im not sure they will, sergi samper will next in line after that, halilovic after that

dont think it helped last night that busquets has been out injured and looked very leggy by the end

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â