The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I see what you are saying, but I've just reached the point where I shrug at Barcelona. They thumped another team who only have about 10% of the resources available to the big two in Spain? Whatever.

The arguments around Spanish football (which clearly is unfair, in terms of the income from TV money) and the dominance of the top two will continue for a long time.  However, Barça weren't playing against some pub team.  In the first half they were unbelievable.

People prefer different things when they watch football.  However, if I really want to watch a game that will be tight, there are dozens of mid-table clashes across Europe to choose from every weekend.  I prefer to watch a team as sublime as Barça whenever I can, because I'm not sure when or how often I'll see a team that plays such great football (or players as entertaining as Messi and Iniesta) again in my lifetime.

I expect them to win, comfortably, when they play league games, particularly at home.  So does everybody else.  Many find it boring, but I think they're incredible to watch.  And as I say, the argument exists that they and Real are so far ahead of the others that it makes their clashes against other La Liga sides almost pointless, but there are many decent sides in the Spanish League and it's certainly not a weak league overall.  Barcelona in particular just happen to be one of the greatest sides of all time, and it looks like they may be getting their groove back again.

There are many other good sides in the Spanish league. Valencia and Atletico Madris could easily hold their own at the top end of the Premiership and both clubs have performed well in Europe over the years.

They finished sixth a couple of seasons back, but I don't think anyone ever actually expected them to be in the top four at the end of what was an excellent campaign.  Understandably, many neutrals were willing it to happen, though.

The arguments around Spanish football (which clearly is unfair, in terms of the income from TV money) and the dominance of the top two will continue for a long time.  However, Barça weren't playing against some pub team.  In the first half they were unbelievable.

Yeah, but how hard to the opposition even try these days?  You know you are going to get beat heavily at the Camp Nou, especially if Barcelona score early.  How many teams chase every ball like their life depends on it when in all honestly it is probably more prudent to save your energy, avoid getting silly suspensions and take your inevitable humping?   I have no agenda against Barcelona, I think you only need to go back into this thread (or possibly an old Champions League thread) to see me say that their demolition of AC Milan last season was one of my favourite moments in football in years, they were absolutely breathtaking.   I just have severe questions over the quality of the opposition in La Liga, and the motivation of that opposition. 

That's what I like about La Liga, below the big two the other two spots are always open. Given the size, history and tradition Valencia and Atletico Madrid should always be 3rd and 4th and it doesn't work like that.

Since 2000 Depor, Celta Vigo, Malaga, Villareal, Betis, Sevilla, Real Soceidad have all represented La Liga in the champions league (Osasuna lost in the pre qualifiers one year aswell) and you've had a load of other teams in the Europa league, remember Alaves.

A lot of those clubs have had really good runs aswell in the two competitions.

Now compare that to Premier league, Leeds,Newcastle, Everton losing in the pre qualifers, Spurs and Man. City since they've got rich are all it can muster/

Yeah, but how hard to the opposition even try these days?  You know you are going to get beat heavily at the Camp Nou, especially if Barcelona score early.  How many teams chase every ball like their life depends on it when in all honestly it is probably more prudent to save your energy, avoid getting silly suspensions and take your inevitable humping?   I have no agenda against Barcelona, I think you only need to go back into this thread (or possibly an old Champions League thread) to see me say that their demolition of AC Milan last season was one of my favourite moments in football in years, they were absolutely breathtaking.   I just have severe questions over the quality of the opposition in La Liga, and the motivation of that opposition. 

I know you don't have an agenda against them and do recall you praising the side and their players in the past.  I can see what you're saying, too, and there are few managers who can really motivate their players in totally the right way to take on Barça for a full ninety minutes.

Still, few teams truly keel over against them - I think that Barcelona are such a good side that most teams still have to put plenty of effort in to keep the score down to single figures.  Take the match yesterday, for example: Levante were very poor in the first half (mostly due to the fact that this is the first game of what could be a difficult season for them, I reckon, although obviously lining up away to Barcelona isn't going to help!) but, for me at least, that didn't detract from my enjoyment of Barça's truly amazing play.  In the second half Levante were much better and pressed fairly hard, and managed to only concede the one further goal to prevent what could have easily been a thoroughly crushing defeat, well into double figures to nil.  Admittedly, there is the caveat that Barça took their foot off the gas in the latter forty-five, but that doesn't mean that Levante didn't work hard at the same time.

Still, few teams truly keel over against them - I think that Barcelona are such a good side that most teams still have to put plenty of effort in to keep the score down to single figures.  Take the match yesterday, for example: Levante were very poor in the first half (mostly due to the fact that this is the first game of what could be a difficult season for them, I reckon, although obviously lining up away to Barcelona isn't going to help!) but, for me at least, that didn't detract from my enjoyment of Barça's truly amazing play.  In the second half Levante were much better and pressed fairly hard, and managed to only concede the one further goal to prevent what could have easily been a thoroughly crushing defeat, well into double figures to nil.  Admittedly, there is the caveat that Barça took their foot off the gas in the latter forty-five, but that doesn't mean that Levante didn't work hard at the same time.

I'm not sure that it's a case of teams putting in effort to keep the score below double figures. I'd suspect that it's much more a result of goal difference not really mattering in La Liga.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Levi, but your post reads like you're contradicting yourself?  I think that sides often have to put in quite an effort against Barça to prevent scorelines from becoming historically embarrassing, but not necessarily to protect their goal difference.

(Disclaimer: I don't shell out for the package that has BeIN Sport, so I don't get Spanish football and thus did not watch).

I was more looking at it from Barca's point of view. Getting the three points is all that matters as far as the table is concerned, unless Barca have reason to fear that they'll be level on points with Levante. By the same token, there's no reason, at least as far as the table is concerned, for Levante to expend any effort in keeping the score down.

If I was managing Barca in that situation, I'm putting in kids at halftime, and I'd do the same if I'm Levante's manager. There's no reason to risk injuries which would affect more important games in the future contesting the incontestable.

Garbage time, indeed.

Ah, I see your point, and it's a fair one.  That certainly happened on Barça's part in the Levante game; there was no point in continuing to play at such a high tempo and risking injury, etc.  However, as I mentioned before, Levante improved in the second half.  Although Barça were no longer pushing, Levante still pressed and worked hard.  I reckon the reason for that, despite goal difference not mattering, is simply a matter of professional credibility.  Barcelona in first gear, without Messi, would still demolish almost any side not putting an effort in/fielding a very weakened lineup.

As it was, the result was 7-0 and no-one was really surprised.  Some even claim to be 'bored'.  For me, particularly in the first half, I was greatly entertained.  As for the Spanish League as a whole being boring, that's a different argument entirely.  Though it certainly is unfair in terms of wealth distribution.

It should also be pointed out that the Primera uses head to head and not goal difference to sort out tie-breakers so once the 3pts was secured it doesn't matter what they won by as it has no bearing on a tie-breaker with Real Madrid and it gives them the tie over Levante.  Only a complodicated threeway (giggety) tie between Barça, Levante and A.N.Other would invoke goal difference and that probably ain't going to happen.

Yeah, that's what Levi was alluding to.  So it doesn't matter how many Barça/Real win by against any other teams bar each other, as long as they get the three points, and similar for sides lower in the table playing the bigger clubs.  It can make things boring in that respect.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â