Running

trimandson

Do you parkrun? That really helps drive your 5k down.

The park near me isn't big enough and doing laps would probably result in me stopping I work on the basis if I run 2.5k from home I have to run 2.5k back again :)

Ahhhh I see :whoops:

Not yet but I'll have to look into that

Mrs h is doing her first ever 5k tomorrow in Richmond Park with a few friend ...it's probably a similar type of thing , it's helped her get motivated if nothing else

Edited by tonyh29

Mrs h is doing her first ever 5k tomorrow in Richmond Park with a few friend ...it's probably a similar type of thing , it's helped her get motivated if nothing else

It will be that exact thing :) I run Arrow Valley in Redditch every Saturday at 9am, and I organise the junior Parkrun in Bromsgrove. They've been around for years but have suddenly become massive.

Me! Orange wave. Lost a bit of fitness recently so hoping for about 1.36. Won't be too disappointed with anything under 1.40 though as I've got to step it up for London next April.

You manage to get into London through the ballot? I'm doing Milton Keynes Marathon next year to try (try be the operative word) and get in on "good for age", will need to run 3:05 to that though.

So decided to test my legs at Parkrun before great south run next week, ran 18:29 and got 2nd place which is first time I podiumed in a while. Again really good news is Im still carrying a few extra pounds yet running as well as I have anytime post-ironman.

Need some trail shoes......

• Like 1

Me! Orange wave. Lost a bit of fitness recently so hoping for about 1.36. Won't be too disappointed with anything under 1.40 though as I've got to step it up for London next April.

You manage to get into London through the ballot? I'm doing Milton Keynes Marathon next year to try (try be the operative word) and get in on "good for age", will need to run 3:05 to that though.

So decided to test my legs at Parkrun before great south run next week, ran 18:29 and got 2nd place which is first time I podiumed in a while. Again really good news is Im still carrying a few extra pounds yet running as well as I have anytime post-ironman.

Need some trail shoes......

Fantastic time mate. I'll be happy when I'm back under 20.

Yeah got in via the ballot. GFA is very difficult at your age, sub 3.05 on a marathon is tough. Once you go over 40 it's 3.15 which is a lot more doable. In fact it's my target at London so I'll need to go below 1.30 at a half in the meantime.

It will be that exact thing :) I run Arrow Valley in Redditch every Saturday at 9am, and I organise the junior Parkrun in Bromsgrove. They've been around for years but have suddenly become massive.

She did 35.02 today , considering it's her first ever time running outside and she was hoping just to break 40 mins she can feel quite pleased with herself all in all ...

I play football twice a week and badminton and tennis as well , might have to get to the point where I drop one sport and push more back toward my running again ... Even got my Bluetooth Jaybud X's today so I can do away with annoying cables when I run :)

Yeah got in via the ballot. GFA is very difficult at your age, sub 3.05 on a marathon is tough. Once you go over 40 it's 3.15 which is a lot more doable. In fact it's my target at London so I'll need to go below 1.30 at a half in the meantime.

I blew up on my last half a few weeks back, just got my nutrition (or lack of) very badly wrong which was just stupid considering my usual exploits, I finished in 1:37 after walking last 4 miles. Hopefully next week if Im not too far back in the pack I can run sub 1:05 ten mile. When I do my next lot of halves (Hampton Court/Reading) early next year I want to be able to bang out a low 20. If Im not doing that then I havent got a hope at sub 3:05.

Those headphones look cool, I currently run a pair of Yurbuds (Im a floozy for ironman branded kit) but only for lighter training as I like to be able to hear my feet when running hard/racing as I can tell quite quickly if my form has dropped off. At Basingstoke parkrun I have a real issue with people wearing headphones as its a lapped course and some of the slower runners cant hear you coming and get in your way. Nothing worse than 1/2k left your heart is banging and your body is screaming at you to stop and suddenly you have to pull an evasive manoveur because somebody is paying attention to what is happening behind them.

Just got back

Was a nightmare my legs cramped up at the 7 mile mark this time round like last year except it happened at the 10 mile mark so i only had 3 miles to go

6 miles hobbling not fun but i persevered through the pain and finished faster than last year

I don't get it i ensured i was properly hydrated and used energy gels this time it must be a genetic thing or something

Got a time of 2 hours 20 mins yesterday. Was a bit gutted because I was 10 minutes slower than last year and I wanted to get it under 2 hours. But I didn't really do any training, so I can't complain. I always lose my rhythm from Cannon Hill Park onwards, I was on track for under 2 hours at that point. It all seems uphill from then on and I really struggle.

I always get the bug after the run, I really want to get out there now and train to get a better time, but I'll sign up to do it next year and start to lose interest as it approaches.

I think I need to do a few different runs too, I've only done the Birmingham one. I'd like to give the Great North Run a go.

• Like 1

Got a time of 2 hours 20 mins yesterday. Was a bit gutted because I was 10 minutes slower than last year and I wanted to get it under 2 hours. But I didn't really do any training, so I can't complain. I always lose my rhythm from Cannon Hill Park onwards, I was on track for under 2 hours at that point. It all seems uphill from then on and I really struggle.

I always get the bug after the run, I really want to get out there now and train to get a better time, but I'll sign up to do it next year and start to lose interest as it approaches.

I think I need to do a few different runs too, I've only done the Birmingham one. I'd like to give the Great North Run a go.

I'm determined to start running properly now.  I'll go out on my own a few times to get some base fitness and then we can go out together if you like?

Could do the Halesowen 10k route or something :D

• Like 1

I'm determined to start running properly now.  I'll go out on my own a few times to get some base fitness and then we can go out together if you like?

iirc, you don't live far from Haden Hill Park? It's a very good place for a run and a few circuits around there would be a great starting point.

iirc, you don't live far from Haden Hill Park? It's a very good place for a run and a few circuits around there would be a great starting point.

Sounds good to me, anything to get me off my arse and keep me motivated.

Haden Hill would definitely give me some practice on hills! 

• Like 1

Haden Hill and not having an Ipod is the reason I've been putting it off tbh. 

Haden hill breaks you spiritually if you've ran it a few times and it begins to get harder and harder.. I have no idea why, but I hate that cunting hill.

Haden Hill and not having an Ipod is the reason I've been putting it off tbh. 

Haden hill breaks you spiritually if you've ran it a few times and it begins to get harder and harder.. I have no idea why, but I hate that cunting hill.

I do a circuit from my house in QB that takes in Cradley Heath, Old Hill, Barrs Road (a right git), Haden Hill Park, Colley Gate then back home.

Sorts out the men from the boys that one :D

• Like 1

I did Brum yesterday. Started in the orange wave on the left hand side.

Due to not being well for weeks and not really running training for months I knew I had to take it easy. Normally I know exactly what my pace is and can give my finish time to within a minute before I even start. This time I wasn't sure as I'd done so little running recently I didn't know how much I've slowed down.

Last year I went off like a shot through the downhill section onto the Pershore Road. This time I took it a bit more sedately and stayed in a nice comfortable rhythm. Got to the uphill bits around Stirchley and Bournville and I was able to keep my pace fairly consistent while others where slowing right down.

Then just before Cannon Hill Park, I remember really struggling there last year. This year I was still comfortable so I knew I should be OK for the hill. Got to the hill and again just settled into the rhythm and carried on plodding up. On the steepest bit I flew past loads of people who were really struggling.

Couldn't bring out a sprint until the last 200m but still took loads of people. Garmin said 1.35ish mat to mat. They gave me an official time of 1.33.28. But it does seem that anyone who started on the left bank had about 1 min 45 secs taken off their time. It seems their equipment was a bit out. People on the right aren't happy :) Strava reckons the actual 13.1 mile time was 1.33 ish anyway.

So puts me into good shape for London to get sub 3:15.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â