Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 28/10/24 at 23:59

6 hours ago, VillaTO said:

Not sure who was supposed to be picking up Evanilson for the equaliser (i only saw a short clip of the goal on Twitter), but surely Emery is giving someone a bollicking for that.

He was only the centre forward, to have that freedom....you couldn't make it up.

I think Unai's response was typically diplomatic after the game, but someone will cop it....and I think I know who it might be.

1 hour ago, jim said:

Disappointing, can’t afford to drop points against the likes of Bournemouth at home.

Jim they are a decent side, but as we was peppering the centre of the goal, they just grew in stature.....and OFF the ball, they was more committed than we was. They just got stronger as the game unfolded.

I have to give them credit, to take the game to us, after we scored, showed character.

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

We're 3rd and I'm pissed off about the result 

Me too....It's the naivety of seeing out a game that's pissed me off.

We do make hard work of things at times.

before anyone else says it......The position in the league and the performance/result of the game, is 2 different things.

The position of us in the Champions league, has nothing to do with it either.

The game has to be assessed on its own merits.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We have to remember that Emery is dealing with a squad who are young and aren’t used to the Wednesday night adrenaline rush of playing Champions League football under the floodlights. It’s going to be very hard to get them firing again in a run of the mill PL fixture.

It’s very noticeable that the older players seem to retain the consistency better, but the younger players always dip on the weekend after a big CL night.

Not sure there’s a lot a coach can do about that in the short term. They’ll learn from these kinds of games, and learn how to manage the emotions and the recovery better.

I genuinely think we are overthinking all this mate.

We started the match like the superior and an elite team. I thought we were playing well and were set to blow them away.

We were just wasteful in the final third and lapsed in concentration at the most crucial time.

We also always seem to fail to acknowledge that the opposition have a say in procedures which eclipses " paper ".

They defended very well and their keeper was brilliant.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely think we are overthinking all this mate.

We started the match like the superior and an elite team. I thought we were playing well and were set to blow them away.

We were just wasteful in the final third and lapsed in concentration at the most crucial time.

We also always seem to fail to acknowledge that the opposition have a say in procedures which eclipses " paper ".

They defended very well and their keeper was brilliant.

I think if the Ollie goal stood it would have been a routine 3-1 win. The longer they held out, the better they looked fans vice versa for us, even though we scored.

• Like 1

Frustrating game to be honest, Villa seemed to be dominant for large periods but the keeper was immense.

As has been said not seeing out a 1-0 lead is very poor.

However on another day Villa win that game 3-1.

The more we draw matches which on paper we should be winning will mean allowing other teams a sniff at third and fourth.

Villa could have really nailed down a strong shout for top three with winning this game. 

But unbeaten in eleven (I think) is good too.

Standards now are high, this is good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Premier league record for most yellow cards in a game is 14 - that's over 32 years, through more than 11,000 games.

One more, and this relatively tame affair would have tied it.

The seven he gave out in the first half of this game matched the record for a first half.

And weirdly, I didn't think he was too bad - pretty much all of the decisions were right, his bar for a yellow card was maybe just a bit too low.

Moat of them seemed to be cynical tackles that too am attacker out after the defender was beat

Saw complaints for seemingly every villa yellow card, onana, mcginn and digne were the easiest yellow card decisions you'll see all weekend 

The last 10 mins was awful why can’t we just keep the ball it was just a matter of time until they scored..Don’t think we had a shot on target after goal we always needed a second goal

We have wasted 4 points against  Man Utd and Ipswich and now another 2 points this will cost us at the end of the season and definitely won’t finish in the top 6 especially with our next games  against top 6 teams which so far have lost to.

A completely different performance to our Champions league game so frustrating 

Edited by Coolman

What a painful end to a game we may have put to bed for our efforts on another day. We didnt put it to bed today though.

When 6 mins was announced i felt it was ominous. Punished and left feeling like, while it wasnt a memorable grind, that our efforts were decent enough to command three points.

Sure, Bournemouth had some incisive moments and threat, but they were by no means leaving Villa Park like our lot.

Disappointed.

Edited by A'Villan

It was a free header for them, poor concentration from us defending a free kick. Subs were all OK. The chances we had we should have been out of sight, sometimes football is just like that, their keeper was impressive and would have probably saved their goal on the form he had shown. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Once he booked onana after two minutes (for what was probably a yellow card foul) he had no choice with the rest of the decisions. He had set the threshold and had to stick to it. 

Usually refs let a few challenges go early and then dish out cards like confetti in the last twenty minutes. 

I suppose you could say at least this ref was consistent!

A foul that warrants a booking shouldn't matter if it's in the 1st or 101st minute to be honest.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

It was a free header for them, poor concentration from us defending a free kick. Subs were all OK. The chances we had we should have been out of sight, sometimes football is just like that, their keeper was impressive and would have probably saved their goal on the form he had shown. 

The keeper had a blinder and we were wasteful in the final third apart from that I thought we purred like a Persian cat for the majority of the game

We were the better side, created plenty of chances, then didnt handle the last 15 mins very well. It happens and it cost us 2 points. It felt like we were given chance after chance, especially with the Cash and Bailey penalty incidents, and still couldnt see it out so some would concede we got what we deserved with the fouling at the end. Duran should have scored, and their keeper did have a Bristol City vibe to him with his moment in the sun. Fair enough, they did what we did at their place last season by nicking a point with the last kick of the game. 

2 wins and a draw this week- fine in the scheme of things. Move up to 3rd with Arsenal likely to drop to points anyway and Chelsea/Newcastle hopefully draw. Top in the UCL, 1 defeat all season, extremely high standards being adopted as the norm- I really cant complain with where the club is at. Feel a lot better this morning, just listening to my manager sum it all up perfectly. Humble, Respectful, never criticising decisions or refs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

2 wins and a draw this week- fine in the scheme of things.

before the fulham game i said i wanted 7 points from the 3 games this week. honestly i'd have rather dropped points yesterday than tuesday. it was a frustrating one, but it's still been a good week.

• Like 1

Don't think it was underestimation but our players didn't seem 100% at the races. Whole team played a bit sloppy and like they thought they would win if they just kept at it. Focus wasn't all there and it needs to be. CL hangover perhaps, it's a a thing as tons of clubs new to the competition will know.

Another learning experience. 

Edited by sne

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very unlike us after scoring. Just couldn't keep the ball at kept going long. 

But tbh the game should have been wrapped up way before that with the amount of chances we had.

Concise and apt.

but I can't help thinking, its harder to score than to stop others from doing so.

I will cut them some slack for missing opportunities.....but not for conceding such an avoidable goal.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â