Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 28/10/24 at 23:59

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Calling Bournemouth 'these shitters' is **** ridiculous as well. They're a very good side. All of a sudden if we don't win every time we play we're shite. 

🤦‍♂️

There was some guy about 10 rows back today who kept screaming the same. Kept thinking this guy is clueless and will probably be on VT later! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Every team has days where they're the better side, but don't quite find a way through, where you huff and puff but the final ball or the lucky bounce or the last ditch tackle or the reached toe doesn't go your way and you don't get what you deserve.

This wasn't that, this was the opposite, we got exactly what we deserved.

Those last six added minutes are as bad as anything I've seen from us under Emery. The ball was in Emi's hands at least six times in those six minutes and on each of those occasions within ten seconds it was back with Bournemouth who were running at us - we barely completed a pass, gave away three free kicks in dangerous areas and went to sleep on our marking with ten seconds left. All we had to do in those six minutes was play the sort of calm possession football we'd played for a lot of the game, just complete a few passes, work the ball into good areas and eat the clock - a kids team could have seen that out - we produced 360 seconds of really shoddy play and got exactly what we deserved.

You can make a case for us deserving it in more ways than one - we played the whole game at a level below our best intensity and had we been able to lift ourselves for any ten or fifteen minute period of the match, I think we'd have been comfortably ahead by the time we reached ninety. Instead, we played neat, tidy football, created chances and were the better side throughout, but all while playing well within ourselves - and in doing that we allowed the contest to come to its last act still unresolved. Perhaps in doing that and in allowing the outcome that we were given a chance to raise its head, you can also claim we deserved exactly what we ended up with.

That said, we were the better side, we did play some neat football, we did create a whole lot of chances and we did do enough to make a victory a comfortable proposition, In the context of our season, it's a point gained by a team that are playing well, that have talent depth and organisation and can almost win games in third gear. Almost don't cut it though and I would hope Unai is furious; we've dropped points against Ipswich, Man United and here today that might cost us later in the year.

Like the team, the crowd wasn't quite at it and the referee was a strange one; he looked to me to get most everything right, but also booked thirteen players in a game with all the needle of a preseason friendly, I'm not sure if he was brilliant or bizarre, I'll lean in his favour on this one.

From Bournemouth's point of view, I've seen them play before in this season and they can play a lot better, the sort of lacklustre occasion, with a quiet crowd and a subdued Villa, dragged them into the low intensity of the game and they never really got going - they never stopped either though and you have to give them some credit for the perseverance that got them their equaliser.

That said, I think we deserved Bournemouth's equaliser more than Bournemouth deserved Bournemouth's equaliser - this game wasn't' really about the performance of the away team, more about the careless way the home team went about their own performance..

Bournemouth's fans will be delighted on the way home, I definitely wasn't and I'm still not, but tomorrow in the cold light of day and the context of our season, it'll be hard not to be a happy Villa fan again - this is a brilliant time to support a team who are exceptional but still a little naive - today is a day to learn lessons. I'm sure we will.

Spot on as always OBE. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought the ref was awful, constantly looking to give a foul and yellow cards when some should’ve been just a foul. I’m not blaming him for the result or how off we were, I think the ref was poor for both teams and that certainly wasn’t a dirty match that needed 13 yellow cards.  I thought he was one of our poorest refs this season (for both sides).

I’m prone to an outburst at a referee myself unfortunately but I just didn’t see anything he did wrong today. If I look through our yellow cards, they were all deserved. Most of them were bad, cynical fouls and obvious yellows. And totally avoidable by our players. I didn’t notice Bournemouth’s. It just seems like weekly berating of the referee regardless of how he performs. I thought he was good today and leaned on our side if anything. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And weirdly, I didn't think he was too bad - pretty much all of the decisions were right, his bar for a yellow card was maybe just a bit too low.

Once he booked onana after two minutes (for what was probably a yellow card foul) he had no choice with the rest of the decisions. He had set the threshold and had to stick to it. 

Usually refs let a few challenges go early and then dish out cards like confetti in the last twenty minutes. 

6 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

The equaliser was inevitable. Didn’t put two passes together after we scored. Then constantly giving cheap fouls away outside our box. 

spot on.

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Absolute shit. Still only one clean sheet all season.

Why when we go in front do we let the other team have loads of the ball and not just hold on to it and go for the jugular? It pisses me off.

Poor result and now three of our next 4 games are really tough.

because we struggle to hold off challenges and stay on the ball, we just allow the ball to stay live, instead of killing off the game.

• Like 1

Onwards and upwards… we are  better than we were last season… but if we want to challenge, we need to be beating teams like Bournemouth and Ipswich…

Third time in recent weeks we have seemed to have some hangover from our success in continental competition…

We need to get that sorted…

The defensive positioning to allow their No 9 a free header, was piss poor....The gap between Duran and Cash was embarrassing

You cannot organise like that and expect not to concede.

Plenty of work to be done, on that showing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Onwards and upwards… we are  better than we were last season… but if we want to challenge, we need to be beating teams like Bournemouth and Ipswich…

Third time in recent weeks we have seemed to have some hangover from our success in continental competition…

We need to get that sorted…

I don't see how playing midweek, affects our ability to defend a set piece....that was amateurish.

That's just pure and simple bad defensive positioning....nothing to do with playing in Europe.

of all the players to give a huge gap to, their No 9....It's unintelligent.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Farlz said:

The Bailey/Maatsen double sub was a disaster. Completely lost all control. Should've kept McGinn on imo.

Apart from that though I'm not putting too much on Unai. Set up was good and should've been out of sight before the subs, purely players responsibility today for cocking up many good moments. A very common theme this season. 

In reality, pressure or not.

The differences today were a Ross Barkley foul which lead to a free kick in an opportune area that resulted in a goal.

99 out of 100 times that doesnt happen to us at this stage of the game. ( Mind Ross also scored our goal )

Their keeper also had a generic " I am now prime Buffon " against Villa which keepers seems to have against us.

We had several chances to be out of site and the fine margins in the final third let us down.

As we always say, we will play worse than that and win, and better than that and lose 

We started the game like an elite team.

The likes of Liverpool lost to Forest at home, no game is a given in this League.

It's a tough one to take though for sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Premier league record for most yellow cards in a game is 14 - that's over 32 years, through more than 11,000 games.

One more, and this relatively tame affair would have tied it.

The seven he gave out in the first half of this game matched the record for a first half.

And weirdly, I didn't think he was too bad - pretty much all of the decisions were right, his bar for a yellow card was maybe just a bit too low.

This is a tricky one, because I thought, they should have had 2 penalties....is that good or bad?.....good for us I guess....but is that good refereeing?

That game was never a 13 yellow card game, in a month of Sundays.....So I'm not sure, where his head was.

I'm not a fan of Kavanagh anyway, so maybe, I'm biased.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I’m prone to an outburst at a referee myself unfortunately but I just didn’t see anything he did wrong today. If I look through our yellow cards, they were all deserved. Most of them were bad, cynical fouls and obvious yellows. And totally avoidable by our players. I didn’t notice Bournemouth’s. It just seems like weekly berating of the referee regardless of how he performs. I thought he was good today and leaned on our side if anything. 

I agree.....but a good refereeing performance should be balanced, not on anyone's side.

That game was never 13 yellows.....unless you are saying, we can't tackle without fouling?

Edited by TRO

Obviously we could and should have won that but we didn't take all of our chances and their keeper had a blinder. Our game management in the last 10-15 was not great, I would question bringing Kamara on for Watkins as it made us overly defensive. Cash is increasingly looking the weak link in our staring line-up, he was lucky not to give yet another penalty today and made  a mistake in the Bournemouth goal. Not getting another right back in the summer was a mistake. Tielmans was probably our best player, Ramsey had his best game for a while but we weren't quite sharp enough in the end it cost us two points. Annoying.

Special shout outs to the half time scores insisting Ipswich were still leading 2 nil and Bournemouth unable to bring 2,900 supporters for a 3pm kick off with tickets for thirty quid. It was double bubble for Villa as I am sure they sold the remaining upper tier seats in the dough ellis for twice the price for home fans.

Edited by The Fun Factory

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Obviously we could and should have won that but we didn't take all of our chances and their keeper had a blinder. Our game management in the last 10-15 was not great, I would question bringing Kamara on for Watkins as it made us overly defensive. Cash is increasingly looking the weak link in our staring line-up, he was lucky not to give yet another penalty today and made  a mistake in the Bournemouth goal. Not getting another right back in the summer was a mistake. Tielmans was probably our best player, Ramsey had his best game for a while but we weren't quite sharp enough in the end it cost us two points. Annoying.

The Change of Kamara for Watkins was right.....Our problem was not defending properly, not being too defensive, there is a difference. We was giving the ball away up front anyway, he had to do the change he did.

In our position in the league, at Home, with a full house..... we should be able to see out a 1-0 lead for 10-15 minutes.....If we can't, maybe we have more work to do than we first thought.

The long ball we persisted with after we scored, was tantamount to suicide....we just kept giving it away, and it was just a matter of time.

It was nothing to do with the changes....it was to do with poor defending and poor retention of the ball.

PS If we showed an ounce of the defensive nous we showed against Bayern, we would have got 3 points.

Edited by TRO

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â