Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 28/10/24 at 23:59

I’m not concerned that 20 people rated the ref good or very good, what in the god name game were they watching. One of the worst refereeing performances I’ve seen, giving yellow for standard fouls and then not giving a card for the foul on Bailey, 

I thought it was a sub par performance from Watkins, Ramsey and Rodger’s. Also there was no way Barclay was going to win that race and should have took the player out at the half way line. Need to be better at game management 

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've seen talk of a couple of penalty claims - one would have been the Bailey incident where they claimed handball, what was the other one?

The other was the Cash incident where Semenyo (I think) got booked for diving.

To be fair I got them mixed up, i thought the Bailey handball was the luky one to get away with, those are so subjective.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

JJ having a decent game playing really (really really really) narrow didn't do much to help Rogers who was having one of those days which are inevitable given his remit to get it and run. He was pretty rubbish though.

This one is going to piss me off for a while but a point is a point, they'll have to make the other 2 up elsewhere.

3rd in the league, all of those people saying that you miss 4th place not winning games like that, maybe you are right but what if we get it by 1?

Bournemouth incredibly fortunate, we'll get some luck another day.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who?

The Bristol City keeper, we played against him back in our Championship days when we were in the middle of Smith's playoff charge, I think he was around 18-19 and their third choice at the time? I think we must have had about 25-30 shots and of the ones on target he probably saved about 10+, think we won thanks to a penalty but one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen come out of absolutely nowhere. It's scarred me for life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

**** off lucky last minte words removed

Referee can stick his 13 cards up his shitter as well

Juat back from the game.

Ref was truly an end of a bell. Spoiled the game.

Annoyed we couldn't secure the 3 points at home to a poxy team like Bournemouth. Need those points in the bank in preparation for playing the bigger boys.

We go again....

• Like 2

It's funny, arguably that was probably one of our best attacking performances of the season, if Kepa was in goal we'd probably have won that very comfortably: we certainly played like a team that should have won 4-0 for about 85 minutes.

But such is football. Annoying result but we move onto Palace/Spurs.

EDIT: Ridiculously unfortunate not to win.

image.png.c53d3ff58109a71a4f7b8c2e35e510cd.png

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The other was the Cash incident where Semenyo (I think) got booked for diving.

To be fair I got them mixed up, i thought the Bailey handball was the luky one to get away with, those are so subjective.

Definitely lucky. On another day that’s given 9 times out of 10.

37 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

I’m not concerned that 20 people rated the ref good or very good, what in the god name game were they watching. One of the worst refereeing performances I’ve seen, giving yellow for standard fouls and then not giving a card for the foul on Bailey, 

I thought it was a sub par performance from Watkins, Ramsey and Rodger’s. Also there was no way Barclay was going to win that race and should have took the player out at the half way line. Need to be better at game management 

People are just complaining about the ref for no reason. I think he got everything right. The yellow cards were fair enough and consistent for both sides. Most were blatant, cynical and stupid by our players. The ball out of play looked out and was given by VAR. He gave us the rub of the green with the Cash lunge inside the box. He gave us good advantages a few times and brought play back to give us a free. He made the right decision with the Bailey handball too. I can’t think of a single decision we should be complaining about. Moaning about the ref for the sake of moaning about the ref. It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by juanpablosaliceband
  • Like 1

If I'd have wrote this reaction as I left Villa Park I'd have been well pissed off and writing bollocks. Now I've had time I can reflect that 99 times from 100 we are winning that game by 3 or 4 goals. We controlled the game for 75 minutes and then scored and for some unfathomable reason surrendered that control.

Shit happens, although the reason I and many of us are so pissed off is that this kind of shit now rarely happens to us. With Emery as manager I'm confident it will be a long time until it happens again.

Oh and the ref was dire. 13 bookings, 3 or 4 of them warranted. There wasn't a bad tackle in the game as shown by the physio not coming onto the pitch for either side.

• Like 3

Austin McPhee got a chewing out from Unai midweek for poor defense on set pieces.  I feel a bit sorry for him after the last minute goal.   I bet, they spend some time working of set piece defending this week.  Rightly so.

Second time at VP since the last ball dropped against Sheffield utd at home before Xmas last year. What a way to spend 6 hours journey for this 😂. Think I'm cursed.

Throughoutly deserved to be ahead at the moment in time, but weirdly enough probably just as deserved with that equaliser. Thought Matty Cash had a good game kept their winger 'semenyo?' in his pocket mostly. Such as shame the last 10 mins or so we just forgot the way the Don had taught us how to play. It was inevitable.

On A luckier day we would have scored 2 before half time. Having said that still feel our final third still needs some polishing. Just of those days hopefully players dust themselves off , take it on the chin and learn their lessons, and move on.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Every team has days where they're the better side, but don't quite find a way through, where you huff and puff but the final ball or the lucky bounce or the last ditch tackle or the reached toe doesn't go your way and you don't get what you deserve.

This wasn't that, this was the opposite, we got exactly what we deserved.

Those last six added minutes are as bad as anything I've seen from us under Emery. The ball was in Emi's hands at least six times in those six minutes and on each of those occasions within ten seconds it was back with Bournemouth who were running at us - we barely completed a pass, gave away three free kicks in dangerous areas and went to sleep on our marking with ten seconds left. All we had to do in those six minutes was play the sort of calm possession football we'd played for a lot of the game, just complete a few passes, work the ball into good areas and eat the clock - a kids team could have seen that out - we produced 360 seconds of really shoddy play and got exactly what we deserved.

You can make a case for us deserving it in more ways than one - we played the whole game at a level below our best intensity and had we been able to lift ourselves for any ten or fifteen minute period of the match, I think we'd have been comfortably ahead by the time we reached ninety. Instead, we played neat, tidy football, created chances and were the better side throughout, but all while playing well within ourselves - and in doing that we allowed the contest to come to its last act still unresolved. Perhaps in doing that and in allowing the outcome that we were given a chance to raise its head, you can also claim we deserved exactly what we ended up with.

That said, we were the better side, we did play some neat football, we did create a whole lot of chances and we did do enough to make a victory a comfortable proposition, In the context of our season, it's a point gained by a team that are playing well, that have talent depth and organisation and can almost win games in third gear. Almost don't cut it though and I would hope Unai is furious; we've dropped points against Ipswich, Man United and here today that might cost us later in the year.

Like the team, the crowd wasn't quite at it and the referee was a strange one; he looked to me to get most everything right, but also booked thirteen players in a game with all the needle of a preseason friendly, I'm not sure if he was brilliant or bizarre, I'll lean in his favour on this one.

From Bournemouth's point of view, I've seen them play before in this season and they can play a lot better, the sort of lacklustre occasion, with a quiet crowd and a subdued Villa, dragged them into the low intensity of the game and they never really got going - they never stopped either though and you have to give them some credit for the perseverance that got them their equaliser.

That said, I think we deserved Bournemouth's equaliser more than Bournemouth deserved Bournemouth's equaliser - this game wasn't' really about the performance of the away team, more about the careless way the home team went about their own performance..

Bournemouth's fans will be delighted on the way home, I definitely wasn't and I'm still not, but tomorrow in the cold light of day and the context of our season, it'll be hard not to be a happy Villa fan again - this is a brilliant time to support a team who are exceptional but still a little naive - today is a day to learn lessons. I'm sure we will.

Mostly fair I'd say, on the intensity though I think it's part of what we are, how Emery wants us to play. We don't do the murderball thing, or the rock and roll football thing. Which is almost certainly to do with trying to conserve energy and get deeper into the season at a higher level than was possible last season. 

That said, if we manage the ball and the game better we're all chuffed with another 3 points. Emery looked **** incandescent coming back to the tunnel so I would think we'll learn from this result. 

It's entirely possible we get nowt from spurs and Liverpool away. We'll need to not shut the bed about it and get back on track after the break.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Dropping points vs these shitters, Ipswich and united is not good enough

People say this, but if we didn't, we'd be clear at the top of the League.

Some perspective is needed.

We are still doing well.

People can talk about " easy start " all they want but there is no " easy " game in the League.

We've now basically played half the teams in the League and are third, as well so ( so far ) successfully navigating a Champions League campaign.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People say this, but if we didn't, we'd be clear at the top of the League.

Some perspective is needed.

We are still doing well.

People can talk about " easy start " all they want but their is no " easy " game in the League.

We've now basically played half the teams in the League and are third, as well so ( so far ) successfully navigating a Champions League campaign.

Calling Bournemouth 'these shitters' is **** ridiculous as well. They're a very good side. All of a sudden if we don't win every time we play we're shite. 

🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â