Pre-Match Thread

Probably the most strongest second 2nd string we have ever put out! 

Gauci

Nedeljovic    Konsa      Mings       Maatsen

Kamara     Barkley

Bailey                        McGinn 

Buendia 

Duran

the team for this one is going to be fascinating - with the players that we now have back, it could be a very decent second string.

-------------------------------Gauci---------------------------

Nedejkovic----Konsa-----Mings------Maatsen

---------------------Kamara----Barkley-----------------

Philogene------------Buendia-------------McGinn

-----------------------------Duran----------------------------

Almost exactly the same team as @Kingman for me, but with Philogene getting the nod as he's suspended for the league game at the weekend.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Olsen or Bogarde and even Swinkels isn't out of the question.

I don't think Unai will drop in many of the first team regulars, but I guess it's not impossible.

For Palace, with the trouble they're in in the league, I don't think they can afford to go too strong - their game against Wolves on the 2nd will be massive and they won't want to take too many risks with their squad.

Should be a good game - I'm not sure we'd be particularly delighted with a ninth game in December if we win, but I guess that's a bridge we can cross if we get there.

------------------------------Gauci---------------------------

Nedejkovic----Konsa-----Mings------Maatsen

---------------------Kamara----Barkley-----------------

Young ------------Buendia-------------Philogene

-----------------------------Duran----------------------------

I think three starts in a week for McGinn coming off injury will be tough.  I wouldn't be surprised if they give Zych a start in goal to help with the contract negotiations.

Due to the cost of the CL tickets I was going to give this a miss, but I’ve just checked and my ST seat is still available and I really don’t want to miss Mings playing for the first time since his injury. 

If he doesn’t come on today I’m getting my seat 🥰

• Like 4

Olsen is back so I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. Possible Emery planned to use Carlos here but I think it's vital he's back in the 11 for the bigger games.

Olsen

Ned - Bogarde - Mings - Maatsen

Bailey - Kamara - Barkley - Jaden

Buendia - Duran

Time to utilise the squad with big games ahead:

Olsen

Bogarde      Carlos         Mings      Maatsen

Kamara        Barkley

Philogene                        Ramsey

Buendia 

Duran

Subs:  Martinez, Nedeljkovic, Digne, Konsa, Swinkels, Onana, Tielemans, McGinn, Watkins

Hopefully Mings can get 45 minutes, Kamara 60 minutes and we stay injury free, and through to the next round. 

• Like 1

Win this for a place in the quarter final, we shouldn’t be too dismissive of how Unai approaches this game it’s still a good chance to progress in a competition that we can win. UTV!! I have very fond memories of seeing us lift the League Cup. Ok it’s not as important as the PL, CL or FA Cup, the last one being the only one I need for a full house, in my lifetime and so that would be even better but I wouldn’t put my nose up at another League Cup and winning some silverware takes some pressure off us too.  I might even go for a pint up town!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣……..mate

• Like 1

I think it will be similar team to what we put out v Bologna. Carlos didn't feature today so would assume he'll return unless the plan is to keep him fresh for Spurs given Konsa will more than likely start RB there. Maatsen, Barkley and Duran are must starts.

Palace have Wolves away three days after this so little chance they put out anything close to their first team so should be a comfortable night for us.

Just now, Spoony said:

I think this is a nailed on loss. I can’t imagine we are going to be at all up for it. That was obvious in the last round from Emery and all the senior players. Expecting something like 2 or 3 nil to palace. 

Palace can't win any matches with their first team so a bit odd if they've got backup players who can put us to the sword quite comfortably at VP.

They won't be playing Eze in this one....

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Win this for a place in the quarter final, we shouldn’t be too dismissive of how Unai approaches this game it’s still a good chance to progress in a competition that we can win. UTV!! I have very fond memories of seeing us lift the League Cup. Ok it’s not as important as the PL, CL or FA Cup, the last one being the only one I need for a full house, in my lifetime and so that would be even better but I wouldn’t put my nose up at another League Cup and winning some silverware takes some pressure off us too.  I might even go for a pint up town!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣……..mate

Erm no you won't, you dvb.

Mate 😉

• Haha 1

Is this typically a round where Premier League teams rotate against each other, almost in an unspoken agreement? I could go research that but I imagine someone here might know better. If it's typically rotated, rotate it. But have the bench loaded.

I'm fine with all the reserves starting this, I don't know if Mings will: your first game back being a start seems ambitious. But, who starts instead in his spot? Needs must maybe.

Not at all tempted to use this to "make up" for the weekend: the next 2 weeks are an absolute drain performance wise, and we could beat Palace by a damned American football score and it wouldn't change today.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Palace can't win any matches with their first team so a bit odd if they've got backup players who can put us to the sword quite comfortably at VP.

They won't be playing Eze in this one....

Well the Wycombe B team came pretty close to putting us to the sword. This is absolutely no reflection of Villa’s or Palace’s quality I just think Villa firmly won’t want (or give a shit about trying) to win this 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Well the Wycombe B team came pretty close to putting us to the sword. This is absolutely no reflection of Villa’s or Palace’s quality I just think Villa firmly won’t want (or give a shit about trying) to win this 

Well seeing as thousands of people are paying to watch it they bloody well should. 

• Like 1

Our best chance of winning something, Emery will not want to go out at home to Palace that's for sure. 

The first Cup is always the hardest to win, once that's out of the way it's makes it easier to win others, Emery will understand this.

I can see us starting a strong 11 (I don't think we have a weak one tbh) Duran for Ollie, Kamara and Barkley for Onana and Tielemans, Philigene in and Mateson for Dignes, maybe Ned in for Cash. The big one is Mings for Torres,  can Mings last 90 minutes and will Emery risk it.....I think he will. UTV 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Gauci 

Kosta         Carlos          Mings       Maatsen

Bailey        Kamara       Barkley       Philogene

Buendia       Duran

This

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think it's a different mentality going away and playing players you've never heard of in unfamiliar surroundings to playing at VP where things are nice and comfortable. Also the players on the night probably thought they could beat a league one team at 50% so that impacts on the performance.

Palace were actually fantastic today and should've beaten Spurs by more than 1-0 but I don't think they'll risk likes of Eze and Wharton against us, it will be more Will Hughes and Joel Ward selections. In their season Wolves is a far bigger game than Carling cup currently.

We should have enough to win this in 90 minutes.

Edited by VillaChris

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â