Random Band Battle: Dire Straits vs The Police

maqroll

Dire Straits or The Police?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Dire Straits or The Police?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 18/10/24 at 17:00

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I know he was born there, but didn't he grow up in Newcastle?

He did but of all the acts to come from Newcastle, you just about picked the worst two :D 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

He did but of all the acts to come from Newcastle, you just about picked the worst two :D 

It's just meant to be a broadly accessible poll.

I really liked the Police when I was a kid, but when I think about their songs now, I'd probably only ever want to listen to three of them: Can't Stand Losing You, Spirits in the Material World and Everything She Does is Magic.

As for Dire Straits, I also really liked them as a kid, but went years without giving them a listen other than hearing Sultans of Swing on the radio.

But I've gotten back into the Straits lately. MK is a rare technical guitarist with feel, and he has a singular style. The songs are smart and the production style holds up.

That said, I completely understand the criticism they receive as a sort of Yacht Rock-adjacent, pretentious, wine and cheese band.

And the headband thing. 

😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

O Sting, where is thy death? 

You could forgive someone for thinking he's been dead for a while, and that this is a glimpse of Hell:

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

You could forgive someone for thinking he's been dead for a while, and that this is a glimpse of Hell:

Sorry, was Sting in that video? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

That said, I completely understand the criticism they receive as a sort of Yacht Rock-adjacent, pretentious, wine and cheese band.

I like yacht rock 😒

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

I like yacht rock 😒

I like some of what is classed as Yacht Rock. Like Steely Dan. Hated them when I was a kid, but I get it now.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â