Thomas Tuchel - England Manager

stewiek2

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

same as all things in life, if we want to moan about hiring a foreign manager then we need to look at ourselves first, other than howe and potter there are no candidates for the role and tuchel has a better club record than both

What is it about Potter's record that means he is any more a contender than say, Gerrard, Lampard, Dyche, Bruce etc?

He did an excellent job in Sweden and on the strength of that got the Swansea job. He then took Swansea to tenth in the Championship, which I'd say is par at best, considering they'd just come down from the Premier League. 

He then finished 17th, 15th, 16th and 9th with Brighton, and saw his successor do a better job with the same tools.

He then crashed and burned at (the admittedly batshit) Chelsea car-crash. Although he still seemed to do an worse job to what both Pochettino or Maresca have done. 

I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but I'm pretty sure that if Frank Lampard had the CV above, people wouldn't be putting his name forward as an obvious England manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tuchel has been appointed to get England over the line in a potential QF/SF v a France/Spain. That's the sort of scalp England need to take to give them the confidence to win a final as let's be honest scraping past a Slovakia isn't going to do much and then England just played like a plucky underdog in the final v Spain and were lucky not to be 3-0 down by 70 minutes.

What I'm looking for is Tuchel to come up with a tactical masterplan that fools another manager of a high ranking nation. His record suggests he's up to it.

Yep, that's exactly what he's been hired to do.

But will his tactical masterplan work with a bunch of players who aren't happy and hate him? Who knows

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yep, that's exactly what he's been hired to do.

But will his tactical masterplan work with a bunch of players who aren't happy and hate him? Who knows

Chelsea players were generally with him to the end unless I missed something. The bigger issue there was half of the squad being sold in the early days of Boehly which created complete instability. He was sacked at PSG two months after playing a CL final so was still getting major performances out of them. We know from Unai it's silly to just write off someone if they haven't won CL at PSG.

Bayern's the one you can point to with squad disharmony. However he still got one over Arteta when Arsenal were generally seen as the favourites in that tie and a Neuer error stopped him beating Real Madrid so that tactical acumen should translate well to international management imo.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

the DM have proper gone for it haven't they

"there are countless english managers but our snobbery is blocking them"

i mean that's simply not true is it? our league hasn't been won by an english manager, the CL hasnt been won by an english manager, i will be wrong here but isnt eddie howe the only english manager to qualify for the CL this century??

same as all things in life, if we want to moan about hiring a foreign manager then we need to look at ourselves first, other than howe and potter there are no candidates for the role and tuchel has a better club record than both

Bobby Robson, Harry Redknapp and Frank Lampard also did. 

• Like 1

Absolutely buzzing for the appointment. 

I see Neville is having a fit at an English man not being appointed. English people should be banned from coaching. They're 98% some of the laziest out dated coaches in world football.

Lightyears behind and still dominating by class of the early 2000s where 'defences win titles' 'you don't pass the ball across your own box'and 'you've got to be up and at it.'

The sooner the likes of this lot stop trying to get jobs or disappear from our TV screens the better.

I do wonder why we don't have more decent English managers.  In the PL we have 5 Spanish coaches and 5 Brits (edit, 6 actually), only 2 of whom are English. There are 14 or 15 Spanish managers in La Liga.

Is it as simple as the PL and even the Championship being such a draw for overseas coaches that Brits don't get as many opportunities, or is there something else happening in Germany and Spain ?

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I do wonder why we don't have more decent English managers.  In the PL we have 5 Spanish coaches and 5 Brits, only 2 of whom are English. There are 14 or 15 Spanish managers in La Liga.

Is it as simple as the PL and even the Championship being such a draw for overseas coaches that Brits don't get as many opportunities, or is there something else happening in Germany and Spain ?

In Germany and also Italy coaching is a different profession completely to football. Its be compared to why an F1 driver rarely becomes an engineer after retiring.

They have real coaching schools and I read in Germany they train 600 hours more to earn a coaching badge than in England but still have to renew it every 3 years

In England a coaching job is usually recommended to the most recent big name retiree as they know the game

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

Tbh I'm more pleased about the appointment because now he can't be man u boss than anything else 

Not sure about this.

In Championship Manager 01/02 I simultaneously guided Villa to Champions League and England to World Cup glory.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In Germany and also Italy coaching is a different profession completely to football. Its be compared to why an F1 driver rarely becomes an engineer after retiring.

They have real coaching schools and I read in Germany they train 600 hours more to earn a coaching badge than in England but still have to renew it every 3 years

In England a coaching job is usually recommended to the most recent big name retiree as they know the game

... and yet the biggest club in the country has hired a former big name player who has just got his last club relegated.

Quite surprised on the 18 month contract, doesn't exactly scream long term appointment does it.

If the hierarchy asked Tuchel to simply replicate what Southgate did then he could, because what Southgate did was limited. Tuchel can organise a defence, as well as a midfield and an attack - the guy is x3 on Southgate. I see us winning things finally.

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Absolutely buzzing for the appointment. 

I see Neville is having a fit at an English man not being appointed. English people should be banned from coaching. They're 98% some of the laziest out dated coaches in world football.

Lightyears behind and still dominating by class of the early 2000s where 'defences win titles' 'you don't pass the ball across your own box'and 'you've got to be up and at it.'

The sooner the likes of this lot stop trying to get jobs or disappear from our TV screens the better.

In fairness that's not what he's saying.

He's saying that the FA have questions to answer as to why we've seemingly now fixed the problem of our players being as technically gifted as others in the world - the days of hoofball are now gone - but why are we failing to produce managers with CV's and experience like Tuchel.

I think the reason is that we don't have clubs with mobility within football. Look what we've had to do to get to the Champions League. It's out of reach of the majority of English clubs. Only 5 or 6 clubs can reach those kinds of heights, therefore there's only 5 or 6 jobs available to pick up that level of experience. The English manager with the most Champions League experience is Frank Lampard...says it all really.

He speaks well I am confident he is a better coach than Safegate.  Question really is if he is as lucky.

Exciting times hopefully he picks players in their positions and not shoe horns players in because who they play for.

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

in germany its a lot more regulated and structured (the shock!) 

football in general is more about signing for a club and those clubs owning the facilities, the clubs may be linked to schools etc or share the facilities but from my experience here rather than the UK they don't have general use pitches, they don't have leisure centres in the same (and that goes for all sports) i genuinely don't have a clue if they have an over arching equivalent of sport england, its not a case of 10 like minded lads at work want a kick about go rent a pitch for an hour, and then of course all of those clubs have their coaches*

years back when it was sven and capello there were stats around how many people did their badges and england was miles behind the other major european nations, costs were blamed, i thought part of st george's was to try and fix that but thats not being seen yet

and then like you say we put a lot of emphasis on ex players whereas again using Germany as the example tuchel, klopp, nagelsmann, flick, low, streich, they're all ex footballers but not succesful ones, as much as anything else there seems to be a trend that they had injury problems in their career and did their badges and coaching around their injuries, instead in english football we get clowns like micah richards, what did jack wilshere do when his career went down the pan? sat on his money and eventually disappeared, seemingly if he was german he would be a coach by now

* it is a killer though, the over 35 vets team in my village do 2 proper bibs and cone training sessions a week and then a league game on a sunday, they cant just have a fun kick about for an hour, its still proper coaching drills, i aint got time for that shit

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Quite surprised on the 18 month contract, doesn't exactly scream long term appointment does it.

I’m ok with that, the international manager gig should be a tournament by tournament assessment because I think too many players get comfortable as they know they get called up when they are favoured by a particular manager.  

If the players are good enough they’ll get called up whatever (hopefully) and the core will build the bonds needed.  

Just sick of going into tournament after tournament knowing exactly what is going to happen, what style, what flaws there are…it’s the easiest predictive outcome and after eight years of it I’m sick of it.  

I like to see how Tuchel does in the next 18 months and then reassess again.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â