Thomas Tuchel - England Manager

stewiek2

12 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Tuchel got Kane scoring a shed load last year did not watch enough but did he make him play as striker only not wherever he fancies?

let him drop deep but not as deep as he drops for england, he went in to midfield but not full back

more importantly he had runners go past him, kane is only part of the problem, southgate's bigger issue was that when kane dropped deep he didn't have the balls to get attackers to run past him, the summer was ridiculous when kane when on the edge of our D and the counter was on but no one was ahead of him, instead kane tried to carry the ball out and failed because he hasnt got it in him

Son showed how well it can work, bayern did it too, drop kane deep and have Palmer push on, it can work

• Thanks 1

Great appointment. He is probably the best we could have attracted at this point. Top manager with a massive desire to win. I can look forward to watching England play now for the first time in years. 
I think he will also pick players based upon their ability to do the job in his team, as opposed to who they play for. All in all, great news. The fact that it may also have annoyed Daily Mail readers is just the cherry on top. Good day for England.

3 hours ago, wishywashy said:

The Mail have not taken it well, releasing their usual incredible xenophobia but not even trying to mask it or pretending that it is anything but that.

Means it's a good appointment.

The owner of this shit rag was pro nazi before the war. This is amazing. 

• Like 1

the DM have proper gone for it haven't they

"there are countless english managers but our snobbery is blocking them"

i mean that's simply not true is it? our league hasn't been won by an english manager, the CL hasnt been won by an english manager, i will be wrong here but isnt eddie howe the only english manager to qualify for the CL this century??

same as all things in life, if we want to moan about hiring a foreign manager then we need to look at ourselves first, other than howe and potter there are no candidates for the role and tuchel has a better club record than both

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Which was exactly my point about him undoing the positives that Southgate instilled.

Slate him all you like, but Southgate was very good at the latter, whilst being very poor at the former.

I think the best appointment would have been someone who could carry on those positives but improve the tactics side.
I don't think Tuchel is that. I think he'll undo a lot of that positivity.

If the tactical improvements are enough to make up for that remains to be seen

Tuchel has been appointed to get England over the line in a potential QF/SF v a France/Spain. That's the sort of scalp England need to take to give them the confidence to win a final as let's be honest scraping past a Slovakia isn't going to do much and then England just played like a plucky underdog in the final v Spain and were lucky not to be 3-0 down by 70 minutes.

What I'm looking for is Tuchel to come up with a tactical masterplan that fools another manager of a high ranking nation. His record suggests he's up to it.

Only danger is he did lose the two domestic finals at Chelsea on penalty shoot outs so there you go England go back to losing them with a German in charge. 😁

2 hours ago, Giro said:

The way they put German in capitals 

It ain’t the 1940’s anymore, going on like he’s the second coming of hitler 

Given their public support of Oswald in the 1930s they'd probably prefer if he was.

Crazy that they didn't even try to (not so subtly) dog-whistle like they usually do and just went straight to blatant xenophobia 

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giro said:

A patriot 😂😂😂

Powell is totally clueless, Southgate had Hasselbaink as the strikers coach for the last few years. Think the keeper coach was also Martyn Margetson who is Welsh. Why wasn't he spamming articles in those times if that is his issue.

His reputation seems to suggest that he tends to fall out with the hierarchy, so he is likely to test the big egos of the FA.

So it would seem to be a case of whose patience will give way first.

Recent England outings have suggested that there isn't quite the depth of talent we assumed there was.

I've long thought England had a mentality problem, and so Tuchel will be looking for a miracle.

My younger self wanted England to have an English manager when we appointed Sven. I've grown (older, wiser, fatter), and no longer really care where they're from.

Anyone who wants the job should be first assessed for their sanity, but assuming they know what they're doing, if they want to manage England, and we think they're good enough, then I'm fine with it.

Tuchel seems to be a real marmite character, and will be interesting to see how the players react to him.  They seemed to like the softly softly Southgate approach, and not sure they'll get that from Tuchel.

The clubs on his CV are impressive, but the successes at them are perhaps a little underfeeding underwhelming when you look at them in detail and add context.

He's a better manager than I thought we'd end up with though, and I hope he brings us success. I'll be watching England at the next major tournament with optimism I've not had for a long time. Much like Southgate at the start, he has my backing until he proves he isn't capable.

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

His reputation seems to suggest that he tends to fall out with the hierarchy, so he is likely to test the big egos of the FA.

So it would seem to be a case of whose patience will give way first.

Recent England outings have suggested that there isn't quite the depth of talent we assumed there was.

I've long thought England had a mentality problem, and so Tuchel will be looking for a miracle.

I just think, what is there to fall out about at international level? Club level I can think of lots of things..mainly around transfers but also its day to day contact and stress build up with players/board. 

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I just think, what is there to fall out about at international level? Club level I can think of lots of things..mainly around transfers but also its day to day contact and stress build up with players/board. 

Capello fell out with them over an incident with Terry. I think they suspended him and Capello wanted him as captain

While the Mail headlines are characteristically thick as ****, I have a little bit of sympathy for the view that 'international football should be the best of ours versus the best of theirs'. I'd not mind the idea that not only should the players be English, but so to should anyone involved in the coaching staff.

But while that isn't actually a rule, it would seem slightly daft to impose a handicap upon ourselves. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the DM have proper gone for it haven't they

"there are countless english managers but our snobbery is blocking them"

i mean that's simply not true is it? our league hasn't been won by an english manager, the CL hasnt been won by an english manager, i will be wrong here but isnt eddie howe the only english manager to qualify for the CL this century??

same as all things in life, if we want to moan about hiring a foreign manager then we need to look at ourselves first, other than howe and potter there are no candidates for the role and tuchel has a better club record than both

I'd have been fine with Howe but I think the doubts there is would he have been able to take the final step given Newcastle lost the league cup final under him. Still he's comfortably the best English candidate out there based on last decade.

Carsley not ready and he says as much in the interviews he gives.

Potter been out of the game for last 18 months so really needs to take another club job and prove Chelsea was more a circumstances issue.

Beyond that it's very slim pickings. I personally rate Steve Cooper but a) he's Welsh and b) most of Leicester fanbase already want him sacked so would be a very unappealing appointment for the fanbase.

Tuchel appointed to win something so let's see what the situation is by July 2028.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â