Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/10/24 at 22:59

17 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

We've ran out of steam, but I think that's as much to do with the fact we have so many injuries, and players coming into the first eleven with little match fitness and minutes.

Could have been much worse.

Be good to get injured players back after the international break.

Bit of a worry after 7 games, no?

I disagree.

We showed them respect they didn't deserve. Treated them like a good side like Fulham or Forest.

They deserved to be pissed on and mocked. We could and would have scored 4 past these if we let loose and went at them. They wouldn't have scored 4 in response.

We just haven’t clicked yet this season and today was another example of not quite getting it right. I really don’t think we are close to top form and yet we have had some great results. I think we’ll get better as the season progresses and we just need to keep in it until then which we are doing.

Although we’ve all been watching our defending from behind the sofa, I actually think the form of our attackers is not quite right. Ollie, Leon, Rambo or McGinn have not been at their best yet this season. Rogers has been hit and miss. Jaden has been good defensively but offered little in attack. We’ve relied heavily on Jhon to get us so many of our points.

Our forward players will come good but you can see why Unai was so interested in Felix. I think we are really missing Moussa to be honest. 

Anyway. You can’t fix everything at once. Feeling annoyed at not beating Utd is massive progress. We’ve watched them batter us for years. We are getting better and better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to see what would have happened if the ref hadn’t bottled it and sent rashford off. 3 games in a row with the Ipswich midfielder and Bayern centre half too that players should have seen second yellows. No guarantee that playing against ten men would have helped today, but seems to me teams get away with more against us…

• Like 1

ManU setup to stop us from playing. It worked, but it's a sign of the respect that other clubs have for an Emery team & Villa as a club.

The officials were poor again. No second yellow & red for the kids meals kid whose name escapes me, an offside in the first half that became a throw in for then, numerous times that kid with the infinitely punchable face stood still & then just dropped to the floor like the ground dropped out from beneath him, over & over. "If in doubt, give it to ManU!".

The game itself was terrible. But that was the way that ManU wanted it because they know that if we could have played, we would have beaten them.

They are basically Crystal Palace & it's wonderful.

Its even funnier because I have a Devon Red ManU glory hunting clearing in the woods mate currently telling me that ManUs current demise is worse than what Villa went through in the past decade or so & crying about it being so unfair. Which is both hilarious & baffling at the same time, but it's giving me an opportunity to welcome him to the real world.

And it is glorious. 😁😂

1 hour ago, jim said:

No Duran to save the day this time. A tad concerning we haven’t really got going and saved by moments of magic ™️.

Two points per game in the PL and three wins from three in the cups, is the other perspective.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Piss poor against a team who were as there for the taking as they'll ever be. 2 points from the last two games isn't a disaster but it's certainly dropped points and very frustrating.

This really is it. We were sooo lethargic on the ball and first touch at times was abysmal. We need to get things moving quicker if we want to break down teams here for a draw.

however I have no question that our squad is better than Uniteds. How times have changed where a string united side competes with a half first string villa side for most of the game and basically come to park the bus against us. 

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's also important to not lose to the teams in direct competition with us as the points worth double really. 

Absolutely. 

But we also need to win games against teams like this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bit of a worry after 7 games 

Not really given we've never played modern champions league before and aren't used to playing a higher standard football three times a week, and that we've got loads of injuries or not quite match fit players.

When we've got a fit Onana, McGinn, Kamara, Ramsey, and match fit Bailey, Jaden, Barkley, and Buendia our midfield press and pressure in the final 3rd will be better.

• Like 1

The only thing more irritating than Garnacho falling over everytime he got the ball was the ref falling for it every time!

How anyone could give that ref a good rating is beyond me, he just couldnt help himself blowing that whistle.

That is one poor man utd side!

• Like 2

Four sets of substitutions, three yellow cards, a delay for a knock to Carlos and umpteen free kicks, including the ones that take ages to set up where rat hit the bar and Digne blazed over.

Then the ref left the pitch for almost seven minutes.

And added six.

The rest is I guess subjective, he might have given United everything because he felt those were the right decisions, but the timekeeping wants looking at, he stopped the game when we had a bit of momentum and ended it at a time where only one team was ever going to win it.

I hope it's something the club formally complain about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely. 

Agreed, but was a tough game after Bayern and we had a lot of our first team out 

McGinn, Konsa, Onana, Ramsey. Think having to play two wingers wasn't ideal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed, but was a tough game after Bayern and we had a lot of our first team out 

McGinn, Konsa, Onana, Ramsey. Think having to play two wingers wasn't ideal. 

Oh absolutely, we looked physically and emotionally exhausted - more a comment on this United side - they're fourteenth for a reason and the reason isn't luck.

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely. 

November is going to be interesting looking at the schedule. 6 points at Spurs-Chelsea last two seasons but I'd happily take low risk draws like today from both fixtures.

Get the feeling we'll be playing catch up going into the packed December schedule but plenty of winnable home games that month.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Four sets of substitutions, three yellow cards, a delay for a knock to Carlos and umpteen free kicks, including the ones that take ages to set up where rat hit the bar and Digne blazed over.

Then the ref left the pitch for almost seven minutes.

And added six.

The rest is I guess subjective, he might have given United everything because he felt those were the right decisions, but the timekeeping wants looking at, he stopped the game when we had a bit of momentum and ended it at a time where only one team was ever going to win it.

I hope it's something the club formally complain about.

The stoppage started at 87 and play restarted at 91 and a few seconds. Final whistle went at 97.47 (my river cut off with a minute left so saw when the match finished and it was that time). Six minutes of play was added on and six minutes was duly played.

If that delay hadn't occurred you're probably talking three minutes of injury time at the most, hardly anything happened much in second half for stoppages bar Carlos being treated for a minute.

A complaint is way OTT.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, VillaChris said:

The stoppage started at 87 and play restarted at 91 and a few seconds. Final whistle went at 97.47 (my river cut off with a minute left so saw when the match finished and it was that time).

If that delay hadn't occurred you're probably talking three minutes of injury time at the most, hardly anything happened much in second half for stoppages bar Carlos being treated for a minute.

A complaint is way OTT.

He gave the free kick at just gone 84 minutes and we took it at 91:11 - I thought the six minutes he'd announced was in addition to the time he was going to add on for his microphone - it should have been twelve. It was really weird.

• Like 2

I think the Motm awards on here says everything about this game…..front men got nowt.

it was essentially “After the Lord Mayors show”

I thought we did nothing to expose Utd’s league position and everything to improve it.

It seems to me, we struggle to overcome teams who see us as worth beating…..sure we are good underdogs, but we have to learn how to play as a rated team.

If we are to dwell in that Top four band…..we need to play like we belong there.

However, the plus point is the clean sheet.

Man U will always be our bogey team, if we rock up like that.

• Like 2

In the grand scheme of things it's an alright point, United are so poor by their standards but they're still an unpredictable, weird team capable of pulling results out of nothing as we've seen before, and we'll likely be in direct enough competition for places with them this season so it's important to make sure you don't lose games like this.

Flat performance though, a good time for the break given the injuries that have quickly added up.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â