Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/24 at 22:59

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

The Man U thing is a myth of convenience, for not playing at our best.

No, it's when we go after them, with the inner belief that we can win and we want it more than them.....and the front men DEMAND the ball with ruthless intention....then we will win.

Yes a crossover between that and injuries to some very important players for us, no onana and mcginn huge difference but aside that we MUST break this curse moving forward, but we could have done with getting some wins against them now before they return to the top, doubt ETH will be in charge come next time we play them. 

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe different result, not sure about different game.

The interesting thing about football is, a single winning goal can change the narrative of the game, quite significantly at times, should that be so....not sure. The events in the game remain the same.

I think Morgan should have scored too.....but they could have too.

Yes spot on, that one goal will turn a player who had no relevance in that particular scenario from a 5 to a 8, fans have a more bubbly perspective when victorious, so players get undeservedly higher ratings then they should, yes the events remain the same but the fans are more kind 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nah was  later than 84 minutes. Think Maatsen was fouled for it by Lindelof and we put him on at 85th minute.

It seemed longer as ref was lining everything up and then ran off, not sure why he had to go to the dugouts when the backup walkie talkie had to come from the other side of the pitch so that wasted a minute.

It did seem ages but was about four minutes or so in total and there weren't many other stoppages in that second half because it was so tedious.

Edit: BBC text has foul in 87th minute and then play restarting in 92nd minute so 8 minutes would've probably been right and he all but played it.

There was nothing close to six minutes stoppage time if the free kick had just been taken 30 seconds later.

Could have done with Maatsen on earlier think he has more clinical deliveries in the area which may have caused more problems

• Like 1

19 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

In the Prem we have played 7 won 4 draw 2 lost 1. Same as Chelsea. An they are being raved as the 2nd coming.

Also 3 points off Arsenal and City, who are God's among other teams.

Not to shoddy still I'd say.

Its because of their resurgence, we on the other hand have just carried on where we left off, bar the palace game 

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Anyone get the feeling some of our fan - base is becoming somewhat spoilt? Those players gave their all Wednesday night and still some expect a repeat 4 days later, we're not at the level where we can take such games in our stride and it will be a while before we are.

Its the fixture i want to win the most out of all PL games, however given the injuries in midfield and a 50% fit Bailey i can accept this result, what bothered me the most out that game was the atrocious display of set pieces taken, that was unacceptable… but we’ve had a memorable week regardless 👏🏽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Its the fixture i want to win the most out of all PL games, however given the injuries in midfield and a 50% fit Bailey i can accept this result, what bothered me the most out that game was the atrocious display of set pieces taken, that was unacceptable… but we’ve had a memorable week regardless 👏🏽

And we have been really good, in the main, regarding set - pieces, so there's that. I just think the expectation for Sunday's game was a tad unfair, considering the intensity of the Bayern game.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Your point Sheepy could be valid, but equally some could say after beating Bayern confidence could be sky High.

I also think after beating Man City last season on a Wed night, we still went on to beat Arsenal that same week...it's all about mental and physical approach for me.

I think its to do with showing the natural controlled aggression to overcome the opponent, we seemed content to just contain them.....a 0-0 draw looked likely from early on in the game.

I didn't see Ollie go after disrupting Maguire and Evans, with the same aggression as he did with the Upamecano and it defined the game.

But we beat Arsenal totally different to the way we beat City. In the City game we actually outplayed them by being constantly on the front - foot. In the Arsenal game, we managed to get that vital early goal and then went on to give a defensive master - class, to the point where Arteta made the bitter comment, " There was only one team trying to win it. " 

United looked like they were happy to take a point, had Rodgers been a bit more incisive with his final ball, who knows. You said yourself that maybe some of our fans maybe are "Overrating" us, so we are not yet at the level where we can keep that intensity which got us over the line against Bayern. Of course it's about "Mental and physical approach" but, most importantly, it's the vital ingredient of "Consistency" which separates the really good from the good. The good news is, we're evidently heading in the direction of the really good, when we actually get there, that remains to be seen, but I have no doubt we will get there.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Your point Sheepy could be valid, but equally some could say after beating Bayern confidence could be sky High.

I also think after beating Man City last season on a Wed night, we still went on to beat Arsenal that same week...it's all about mental and physical approach for me.

I think its to do with showing the natural controlled aggression to overcome the opponent, we seemed content to just contain them.....a 0-0 draw looked likely from early on in the game.

I didn't see Ollie go after disrupting Maguire and Evans, with the same aggression as he did with the Upamecano and it defined the game.

To be fair that's because Maguire and Evans were defending much deeper than Bayern did and so didn't really allow Ollie or any of our forwards to attack the space behind them.  It is not coincidence that our best opportunities came from either breaking on United having won the ball back deep in our own half or from set pieces.  One of our WIP jigsaw pieces as a team (as well as Ollie as an individual) is to be improve at fashioning chances when teams are defending deep and not giving us much space behind to try and attack.

It was one of those games where I think Onana, McGinn and maybe Ramsey would have helped in terms of giving us that extra attacking option from deep.  Onana's already shown he's good at running on to second balls / half clearances and his height would definitely have helped when we had a string of corners / free-kicks in the second half.

• Like 1

While it's nice to have kept a clean sheet, it should be noted that the Mancs have scored only 5 goals in 7 games in the PL this season, and three of those were in one game, so a clean sheet should have been the least we expected.   

On the other hand they really seemed to focus on their defensive side this week after somewhat comical defending in their previous two games, so perhaps the timing of this game didn't help us in that respect.  They sat back and tightened up, with even Rashford tracking back - albeit that it should have resulted in a red card.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

But we beat Arsenal totally different to the way we beat City. In the City game we actually outplayed them by being constantly on the front - foot. In the Arsenal game, we managed to get that vital early goal and then went on to give a defensive master - class, to the point when Arteta made the bitter comment, " There was only one team trying to win it. " 

United looked like they were happy to take a point, had Rodgers been a bit more incisive with his final ball, who knows. You said yourself that maybe some of our fans maybe are "Overrating" us, so we are not yet at the level where we can keep that intensity which got us over the line against Bayern. Of course it's about "Mental and physical approach" but, most importantly, it's the vital ingredient of "Consistency" which separates the really good from the good. The good news is, we're evidently heading in the direction of the really good, when we actually get there, that remains to be seen, but I have no doubt we will get there.

I just saw 2 teams in a week with top reputations in both scenarios....just saying we can play 2 top teams in a week irrespective of the way we do it, and win.

I agree....Unai himself said " we have much work to do" no doubt he has plans for that.

The trajectory is great, no doubt about it....and yes we will get there, despite clubs sniffing around our pockets of success like the manager and JD.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, allani said:

To be fair that's because Maguire and Evans were defending much deeper than Bayern did and so didn't really allow Ollie or any of our forwards to attack the space behind them.  It is not coincidence that our best opportunities came from either breaking on United having won the ball back deep in our own half or from set pieces.  One of our WIP jigsaw pieces as a team (as well as Ollie as an individual) is to be improve at fashioning chances when teams are defending deep and not giving us much space behind to try and attack.

It was one of those games where I think Onana, McGinn and maybe Ramsey would have helped in terms of giving us that extra attacking option from deep.  Onana's already shown he's good at running on to second balls / half clearances and his height would definitely have helped when we had a string of corners / free-kicks in the second half.

Yes they was and Evans was dropping off Ollie just enough, because he didn't want to get done for pace.

I thought Ollie had it within him, to have given Evans a tough afternoon, That's how highly I rate Ollie.

My point was Ollie has to adapt in such circumstances, in order to improve, us....but as you say WIP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imavillan said:

I think he had a decent game up until the 2nd Rashford foul and then not giving Rashford a 2nd yellow and a subsequent red card.

Thats a game changing howler. It was such an obvious yellow card as well and he just simply gave the free kick and ignored it. Even Ten Hag new as he took Rashford off straight after to avoid any other potential incidents.

It may not have made any difference to the outcome and we'll never know but them going down to 10 men would have changed the game.

I thought it was debatable and loads of refs would have avoided the second yellow there having just booked the player. Someone like Mike Dean would have brandished the second yellow (remember him doing similar to Dougie Luiz a couple of seasons back) but the refs who like to let the game flow more tend to let something like that slide. It wasn’t a bad foul.

Obviously it would have been a game changer, but I don’t think it was a shocking decision.

19 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Hard to know what to make of that game.

People complaining about the ref - he was fine tbh. I didn’t agree with all of his decisions, but nothing stood out as an obvious game changing howler.

Given we were missing McGinn, Onana, Ramsey and then Konsa, I thought it was somewhat understandable (from Emery’s perspective) that we didn’t take control of the game.

What really pissed me off were the set pieces. We had so many set pieces and I only remember one that was vaguely threatening (a nice corner routine that got played along to Tielemans).

I had Barkley MOTM, but Tielemans and Martinez also played well.

Diego Costa was good off the bench after taking pelters recently.

Duran came on too late imo.

Our squad probably isn’t deep enough to handle this fixture schedule so we might see quite a few of these off days this season. Need reinforcements and need Kamara & Mings back asap.

I have Barkley the nod, showed some real awareness at times. Diego was excellent, just needs to find that consistency. It was just in those areas where it matters that we looked off it, especially Rodgers, doing the hard bit, then messing up the, seemingly, easy bit, so frustrating. I think the manager half expected the kind of performance we gave, hence, the reasonable explanation after the game. Tbf, the break couldn't have come at a better time, what with the injuries. I thought we had used up.our bad luck in regard to injuries but obviously not!

42 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I thought it was debatable and loads of refs would have avoided the second yellow there having just booked the player. Someone like Mike Dean would have brandished the second yellow (remember him doing similar to Dougie Luiz a couple of seasons back) but the refs who like to let the game flow more tend to let something like that slide. It wasn’t a bad foul.

Obviously it would have been a game changer, but I don’t think it was a shocking decision.

It was a strange decision, so soon after the first yellow......Rashford "did you not get the warning"......He should have walked for being so stupid, and defiant.

My suspicion is the ref would say " I didn't want to spoil the game ".....If it was us, that consideration would be suppressed.

Two Tier effing reffing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Nothing will change my mind that it should have been a booking. It was a clear kick out at the player with zero attempt to play the ball. It was cynical

If anything it was worse that the challenge where he was booked.

It should have nothing to do with keeping the game flowing. If it's a yellow it's a yellow, it doesn't matter whether it's within two minutes or 10 minutes of one another.

The ref bottled it. He new it was a yellow. So much so he went and had a word with Fernandez. Ten Haag new it, he got out of jail and swiftly took Rashford off.

We all ask for consistency. If the first one is a yellow card then so is the second one.

On 06/10/2024 at 12:08, Andy_10 said:

They are basically Crystal Palace & it's wonderful.

Exactly what I thought!

I only saw the first half because I had to travel yesterday, but at halftime, I was thinking that United were playing like the lower mid-table team they are, trying not to lose. If you didn't know the players and put Palace shirts on them, you wouldn't suspect that it was actually United.

• Like 1

Rashford needs to move on, that kick out was basically saying I don't care about the club one bit, not sure what's gone on but it's obviously destroyed his manure career.

• Like 1

I notice that the mainstream media are STILL going on about man yoo after they failed to beat even plucky Aston Villa.

The entitlement goes much further than man yoo fans...

The weird thing about the Rashford incident for me having seen the replay a couple of times is that he almost looked like he wanted to be sent off - it's not really much of an attempt to tackle the player, more a lazy waft of a leg that's almost intended to draw attention - he looked like a player that had given up and decided he wanted out of the game. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â