Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/10/24 at 22:59

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He gave the free kick at just gone 84 minutes and we took it at 91:11 - I thought the six minutes he'd announced was in addition to the time he was going to add on for his microphone - it should have been twelve. It was really weird.

Nah was  later than 84 minutes. Think Maatsen was fouled for it by Lindelof and we put him on at 85th minute.

It seemed longer as ref was lining everything up and then ran off, not sure why he had to go to the dugouts when the backup walkie talkie had to come from the other side of the pitch so that wasted a minute.

It did seem ages but was about four minutes or so in total and there weren't many other stoppages in that second half because it was so tedious.

Edit: BBC text has foul in 87th minute and then play restarting in 92nd minute so 8 minutes would've probably been right and he all but played it.

There was nothing close to six minutes stoppage time if the free kick had just been taken 30 seconds later.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Anyone get the feeling some of our fan - base is becoming somewhat spoilt? Those players gave their all Wednesday night and still some expect a repeat 4 days later, we're not at the level where we can take such games in our stride and it will be a while before we are.

I don't think it's that at all. It's more we're largely trying to do it with 8/9 of the same 11 every 3-4 days which even at this early stage is taking its toll a bit.

Perhaps we're not at the stage currently like Liverpool and Man. City who can rotate half their team and still pick up wins but people are seeing some of our players continually come off the bench and help us get wins so don't think it's unreasonable to be calling for them to start prem games sooner or later.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Weirdly as well as that, you could make a claim that the one we lost was our best performance - in some of those games we've not been at our best but still won. If we really click and find some form, we could really do something. We were well off our best today and still comfortably better than Manchester United.

Man. United are no threat to us at all again this season which is pleasing.

In a way it's been a decent weekend as didn't expect Chelsea to drop points (they have only won 1 out of 4 at Stamford Bridge) and Spurs collapse was a delight to watch. Newcastle won't finish above us if they have Isak injured for spells this season.

5th should also be CL this season so we're well in the mix, just need to get through the tough November/December period without too long a winless run.

Get 4 points from Fulham/Bournemouth and we'll be nicely on 2ppg average for the first quarter of the season.

So for me we have actually yet to hit top form this season. We have shown flashes but we are still some way off our best & today was not good. However... We have several out through injury & a couple just back too, so we're not quite sharp as yet. It says a lot to me that despite this we can hold our own against a Man Utd team. Of course they are struggling but they were determined today & we were nowhere near our best yet still matched them. That is progress for me in some weird kind of way as we nearly always lose against them home or away. So I guess not playing well & not losing is not a bad outcome against a Bogey team.

The break has come at the right time & who knows what we'll be like with Mingsy, Kamara, Buendia all virtually ready & with McGinn, Ramsey, Onana & Konsa not too badly injured! 

It can still be a fantastic season. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think it's that at all. It's more we're largely trying to do it with 8/9 of the same 11 every 3-4 days which even at this early stage is taking its toll a bit.

Perhaps we're not at the stage currently like Liverpool and Man. City who can rotate half their team and still pick up wins but people are seeing some of our players continually come off the bench and help us get wins so don't think it's unreasonable to be calling for them to start prem games sooner or later.

You're missing my point. It was naive to expect us to roll - over Man United after such an emotional night like Wednesday. Then when you counter in the injuries, we should be hoping more than expecting in those situations. The criticism about today's performance was over the top imo, and I'm one who has no problem with criticism, as long as it feels justified.

• Like 1

Hard to know what to make of that game.

People complaining about the ref - he was fine tbh. I didn’t agree with all of his decisions, but nothing stood out as an obvious game changing howler.

Given we were missing McGinn, Onana, Ramsey and then Konsa, I thought it was somewhat understandable (from Emery’s perspective) that we didn’t take control of the game.

What really pissed me off were the set pieces. We had so many set pieces and I only remember one that was vaguely threatening (a nice corner routine that got played along to Tielemans).

I had Barkley MOTM, but Tielemans and Martinez also played well.

Diego Costa was good off the bench after taking pelters recently.

Duran came on too late imo.

Our squad probably isn’t deep enough to handle this fixture schedule so we might see quite a few of these off days this season. Need reinforcements and need Kamara & Mings back asap.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think we have to rotate Rogers more, he's not been playing great of a while.

Far from his best today. It’s a lot to ask of him to keep producing top level performances, given his lack of experience.

I was trying to think of what options were available to us,  Buendia was the obvious one but is Unai just being ultra cautious with our returning warriors?

the international break comes at a good time.

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Best moment of the match...

Biggest loser of today’s game was Austin MacPhee. Would love to know why some games we look like set piece geniuses and sometimes (like today) it’s a mess. Maybe the fixture schedule makes it harder to prepare? Maybe certain players are better at executing the routines?

41 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Biggest loser of today’s game was Austin MacPhee. Would love to know why some games we look like set piece geniuses and sometimes (like today) it’s a mess. Maybe the fixture schedule makes it harder to prepare? Maybe certain players are better at executing the routines?

Maybe sometimes the players don't just quite manage to execute his plans, there's only so much he can do tbh

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Best moment of the match...

This little routine just to pass it to Bailey's weak foot down a cul de sac with zero angle for a ball in was quite possibly one of the dumbest routines I've ever seen.

Talk about over elaborating. Pure nonsense.

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This little routine just to pass it to Bailey's weak foot down a cul de sac with zero angle for a ball in was quite possibly one of the dumbest routines I've ever seen.

Talk about over elaborating. Pure nonsense.

Fine margins. On another day the multiple dummies give Bailey the yard he needs to get a better ball in and we’re all praising McPhee again. I’d rather us have the odd game where our set pieces look batshit crazy, if it means that just 4-5 times a season we score from them. That’s better than many, many other set-ups we’ve had, where free kicks and corners regularly came to nothing.

Having watched it now, we easy did enough to win it. Probably mentally difficult this game after the Bayern win, with the injuries we needed a big game from Philogene who was ok, and Bailey who did some good work but isn't at his best by a long way.

Rogers, Philogene had great chances. Barkley if he hit it first time left footed instead of taking a touch could have finished a lovely move.

Positives, clean sheet, more minutes for Philogene, Cash looked good after a while out of the team. Barkley and Tielemanns as a pair is actually pretty good at this level. 

Full strength and fresh we would have killed them. Hope Konsa injury isn't too bad.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â