Kingman

Hope the Wednesday game hasn't taken too much out of the players but can't be an excuse really considering United's game in Portugal. Extra day to rest too. 

Both teams seem to concede a lot of chances but United more than we do. Could be an open game with lots of goals if both teams take their chances. 

I think it could be a 2-2 or we edge it 3-2.

Have to say I am concerned we will win this 4-1 and send ten hag to the job centre. I really think this will happen and the rest of the league will hate us. 

Just try to win the game as any other match and secure the 3 points....nothing else matters.

It's just another game to us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hope the Wednesday game hasn't taken too much out of the players but can't be an excuse really considering United's game in Portugal. Extra day to rest too. 

Both teams seem to concede a lot of chances but United more than we do. Could be an open game with lots of goals if both teams take their chances. 

I think it could be a 2-2 or we edge it 3-2.

Clean sheet , please.............................................I like 'em.

oh! and a cheeky JD special.

Edited by TRO

Maatsen will surely start this.

Bailey not fit and Ramsey all but out so who else can realistically start out wide? I think Buendia is a bit away from starting a prem game given he's only had 5-10 minute cameos, would be different if he was coming on at the hour mark.

The most logical thing is to start Barkley and Maatsen. Both have been coming on for weeks now as subs and making decent impacts so they're both well overdue start and see how it works out.

Tielemans playing magnificently so sure Barkley will look fine alongside him in the pivot and not like Man. United are manic pressers. With one of Casemiro/Eriksen probably starting they will stand off and let us get forward with the ball so plenty of opportunity to slip in quality balls for Watkins/Duran.

• Like 2

We all know this story.  Villa 2-0 up, playing well.... only to inexplicably end up losing 3-2.

At least Coldplay have hope!

"Jonny: Villa will definitely win this.

Will: They are playing really well. They are a great side, and look really cohesive. I always think Youri Tielemans is one of most underrated midfielders in the Premier League.

Will and Jonny's prediction: 2-1"

(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cx20pk5zdmro)

We have proved now we can defend, so if we muck it up, its likely to be tactical.

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

De Ligt got absolutely destroyed tonight. 

was Porto, delighted?

...............I'll get my coat.

Think we might start with Onana, Tielemans and Barkley.  It gives us a couple of playmaking options in the middle of the pitch and more power to hopefully stop Utd getting a foothold in the game.  It will be interesting to see who is supporting Ollie.  I wonder whether we might go with a front three of Ollie, Duran and Rogers.  In some ways I'd like to keep using Duran as a super-sub but maybe we can just launch full riot mode on their fragile defence.

The danger is that it gives us fewer options later in the match - when the bench had served us pretty well so far this season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allani said:

Think we might start with Onana, Tielemans and Barkley.  It gives us a couple of playmaking options in the middle of the pitch and more power to hopefully stop Utd getting a foothold in the game.  It will be interesting to see who is supporting Ollie.  I wonder whether we might go with a front three of Ollie, Duran and Rogers.  In some ways I'd like to keep using Duran as a super-sub but maybe we can just launch full riot mode on their fragile defence.

The danger is that it gives us fewer options later in the match - when the bench had served us pretty well so far this season. 

i doubt we start with both Watkins and Duran. We need to make sure we can control midfield and then bring out Mr Chaos later on.

Let's  see if rat face can get a hatrick of red cards, i means how's there midfield  gonna deal with Rogers rampaging forward? All we have to worry about is Garnacho who, for me,  is a type of player we struggle with. Either way both teams to score and more than 3 goals is a descent bet. 

4-2 to us. UTV .

Martinez

Konsa    Carlos    Torres     Digne 

Jaden    Onana    Tielemans   Maatsen

Rogers

Watkins

I think the fact that they played last night, abroad, we can't use tiredness as an excuse with an extra days rest.

Stick with the defence that were heroic against Bayern and do the usual freshening things up around the 60 min mark.  (Barkley, Duran, maybe Cash, and only Bailey if he is 100% fit - which he clearly wasn't on Wednesday).

I hate this fixture, and I am glad we aren't playing a really high line against them which was our downfall last season when we played. As poor as they are (over the season) they still have players (on their day) that can hurt us. Please let it be a comfortable win, something like

Aston Villa 4 v 0 Man U - Watkins 5th, Torres 14th, Rogers 23rd, Duran (who else) 61st - and chants of "ole" for the last 30, and no pressure of a capitulation! 🙏

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Shocked at what I'm reading, alleging United are anything but utter shite. They have huge holes in the midfield, no plan, no hope -- just a mismanaged collection of lost players.

Man United are a ****ing disaster right now, and we have no excuse for not beating them.

We need to play with belief and bag the three points. It's time to redeem for our mystifying losses to them last year.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Shocked at what I'm reading, alleging United are anything but utter shite. They have huge holes in the midfield, no plan, no hope -- just a mismanaged collection of lost players.

Man United are a ****ing disaster right now, and we have no excuse for not beating them.

We need to play with belief and bag the three points. It's time to redeem for our mystifying losses to them last year.

They have players that can hurt us, as they proved last year, we could not cope with their diagonal balls and pace. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, stay humble...  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

How long have you been following Villa? Well if it’s anything as long as myself and many others, then there’s a reason why winning this fixture will always be a huge doubt.

I’ve only ever seen us beat United three times yes THREE times in 29 years, an abysmal record and the worst in history, one that pains me the most and that’s why this fixture means so much to me, and seeing them bask in so much glory over that time while everyone around me supported them, while I supported the team that had been dragged through the mud, but would not change it for the world as i f**king love this club ❤️ 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 2

I think the way we play at home kinda suits this Man United team tbh. They can sit deep and look to play on the counter and be very direct. 

Though, we should have enough to beat them still. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

They have players that can hurt us, as they proved last year, we could not cope with their diagonal balls and pace. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, stay humble...  

Humble? What is this strange word you speak of?

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, RicRic said:

How long have you been following Villa? Well if it’s anything as long as myself and many others, then there’s a reason why winning this fixture will always have a huge doubt.

I’ve only ever seen us beat United three times yes THREE times in 29 years, an abysmal record and the worst in history, one that pains me the most and that’s why this fixture means so much to me, and seeing them bask in so much glory over that time while everyone around me supported them, while I supported the team that had been dragged through the mud, but would not change it for the world as i f**king love this club ❤️ 

Get ready for the fourth time.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1