Kingman

With the injuries maybe something like this:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Digne 

Philogene Barkley Tielemans Maatsen

Rogers Watkins

The Duran formula is working a treat - ride it as long as possible. Buendia, to get some minutes. Get to the international break and get  some injured players back for - hopefully Mings and Kamara too!

• Like 2

What’s our injury list looking like?

Kamara - not yet fit

Mings - not yet fit

McGinn - out for a few weeks

Cash - possibly can play for half an hour

Bailey - probably injured

Ransey - probably injured

Buendia - available, maybe not fully fit yet. 

Anyone else?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Kamara - not yet fit

Mings - not yet fit

Anyone else?

Onana possibly 

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Kamara - not yet fit

Mings - not yet fit

Anyone else?

Hause comeback time

• Haha 3

My pre Ipswich verdict

Ipswich are unbeaten in three, only Liverpool and Manchester City have beat them this season, they've only lost three home games in just under two years and one of those was the aforementioned Liverpool, they're going to super hyped to get their first three points of the season. It could actually be one of our most difficult game yet, if we don't win it wouldn't be the biggest surprise to me, nor a crushing disappointment, we have to not underestimate them

And pre Bayern Munich

I don't think our recent performances tell us much about how we will play in this game, last season we often didn't play well and dropped points, in the so called easier games, but then would play better against the better teams, and i wouldn't be surprised if we saw that this coming week against Bayern

I was more or less on the right track about both, so that should add some gravitas to what I'm about to say

Manchester United have had a bad start to the season, but over this year they're eighth best team in the league, have taken just six less points than us in that time, of course it's not where they expect to be, but it shows they're good enough to be a threat to us and most teams on their day, but even if you ignore that and view them as a poor team based on this season alone, that doesn't really frame it as an easier game for us, as despite how well we're doing overall, we're not the kind of team that often comfortably wins the so called easier games, as we saw against Ipswich, Wolves, and Wycombe, none of whom are better than Manchester United, also according to Manchester Evening Mail, as of 2023 they haven't lost three games in a row in all competitions since 62/63 season, not sure if it's happened in the last year, but either way, it's something that happens very rarely, could have done withot them losing tonight, as will only make them more fired up for the weekend

I think it's important to not frame it as an easy game or a game we should be winning, this happened before we played them last season, and as a result when we lost that game there was an unfair over reaction, as if we'd lost to one of the worst teams in the league, instead of a team who were in and around top six

We can win, but won't be easy, if we do would probably be our best league win of the season so far, a draw wouldn't be the worst, at least would maintain our unbeaten run since Arsenal defeat, would mean we don't go into the international break with a loss, and would stop them from gaining any ground on us, but of course hopefully we can get the three points, on previous occassions when they've bounced back from a defeat or two a lot of those would have been when in general things are going okay and they're happy with the manager, difference on this occassion might be players losing fatih in Ten Hag, which if is the case might see them not reacting as normal, if on some level they would like a change, or maybe wishful thinking

Either way we just have to ignore all this crap, take the game in isolation, and if we play to our best, we will have an excellent chance of getting a positive result

38 minutes ago, smg said:

Too many people with Sunday league attitudes regarding referees on here.

Or not enough? Many amateurs may better grasp the unique challenges of officiating?

This fixture 🙁 no matter what the circumstances are I’m never convinced, the fact were on a super high and Ten Haag needs this makes it worse than ever for us, i bloody hope im wrong 

• Like 1

I think we need this as much as them if not more. Our lousy record against them is really quite embarrassing considering they are not the club they were under Ferguson and rarely challenge for the title these days. Obviously we haven’t been much good ourselves until the last couple of years but still. To only have one win at home to them in 29 years is just head scratching, it really is. The only other teams we seem to do so badly against are Newcastle away and Man City (and to an extent Liverpool too), but at least with City we can justify that by them being the best team in the country. We absolutely cannot lose this game, a draw is the bare minimum required. We need to better the result from last season when we defended like schoolboys. Don’t let them run in behind so easily and make sure we are ruthless in front of goal. I think it’s a disgrace that Fernandes is allowed to play, Man Utd let off the hook again.

No idea on injuries, I hope Bailey and Onana are fit at least, but I really feel this is a time to start Duran. I think their defence will really struggle against Watkins and Duran with Rogers behind. I also think we should play a 3-4-1-2 formation with Digne dropping into a back 3 so that Maatsen can start in midfield.

I’d go:

………………………Martinez…………………….. 

……...Konsa……….Pau………Digne……….

Bailey..Onana..Tielemans..Maatsen

……………………….Rogers……………………….

………….……Watkins…Duran………………..

If no Onana and Bailey then Barkley and Philogene will have to play. Carlos was great against Bayern by all accounts but I just worry he’ll have his brain fart moments again like he did against these last season, though playing Digne in a back 3 is untested. Either way I think Duran and Watkins will cause all sorts of problems for their back line. May as well try to get goalscorers into the team to sink them as our midfielders don’t have that many goals in them especially with Bailey yet to hit form. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think we need this as much as them if not more. Our lousy record against them is really quite embarrassing considering they are not the club they were under Ferguson and rarely challenge for the title these days. Obviously we haven’t been much good ourselves until the last couple of years but still. To only have one win at home to them in 29 years is just head scratching, it really is. The only other teams we seem to do so badly against are Newcastle away and Man City (and to an extent Liverpool too), but at least with City we can justify that by them being the best team in the country. We absolutely cannot lose this game, a draw is the bare minimum required. We need to better the result from last season when we defended like schoolboys. Don’t let them run in behind so easily and make sure we are ruthless in front of goal. I think it’s a disgrace that Fernandes is allowed to play, Man Utd let off the hook again.

No idea on injuries, I hope Bailey and Onana are fit at least, but I really feel this is a time to start Duran. I think their defence will really struggle against Watkins and Duran with Rogers behind. I also think we should play a 3-4-1-2 formation with Digne dropping into a back 3 so that Maatsen can start in midfield.

I’d go:

………………………Martinez…………………….. 

……...Konsa……….Pau………Digne……….

Bailey..Onana..Tielemans..Maatsen

……………………….Rogers……………………….

………….……Watkins…Duran………………..

If no Onana and Bailey then Barkley and Philogene will have to play. Carlos was great against Bayern by all accounts but I just worry he’ll have his brain fart moments again like he did against these last season, though playing Digne in a back 3 is untested. Either way I think Duran and Watkins will cause all sorts of problems for their back line. May as well try to get goalscorers into the team to sink them as our midfielders don’t have that many goals in them especially with Bailey yet to hit form. 

No chance we change to a back 3 for this and certainly not one with Digne in it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

No chance we change to a back 3 for this and certainly not one with Digne in it!

As with all these pre match threads, it’s not what I’m expecting but what I’d like to see. Unai knows best of course but given we have a few injuries now I really think it’s time to unleash Duran from the start and the only way I think we can do that is by playing 3 at the back to not leave ourselves exposed. I see Digne performing a bit like Shaw did for them when he played CB last season. 

I expect it will be a 4-4-1-1 again though.

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Kamara - not yet fit

Mings - not yet fit

Anyone else?

you would hope that ramsey isnt too serious.

After the int break we could possibly only be missing mcginn from the squad (assuming no international injuries).

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Unai knows best of course but given we have a few injuries now I really think it’s time to unleash Duran from the start and the only way I think we can do that is by playing 3 at the 

Why does Duran have to start? He's not looked great when he does including recently. Digne in a back 3 is horrible idea

• Like 1

I really hope those in that Utd dressing room can sense ETH is on his last life, and do the right thing and just tank the game on Sunday.

Unai’s record against Ten Hag is shockingly won 1 lost 4 since being Villa boss. Which proves the Utd curse runs deeper than logic. Something otherworldly is clearly at play here.

This game is huge for us; certainly dont want to be left thinking what could have been during the international break.

2-1 Villa (Watkins, Tielemans)

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why does Duran have to start? He's not looked great when he does including recently. Digne in a back 3 is horrible idea

As horrible an idea as playing our best CB at RB next to an error prone CB. Not keen on Digne there either but not much we can do with no Mings or Kamara. If either was fit they’d play there. 

Three at the back seems defensive and I’m usually not a fan of it but we keep conceding, so trying to find ways to stop that. We also seem to be reliant on Duran’s goals off the bench to save us (West Ham, Leicester, Everton) so why not start him alongside Watkins. He’s a goalscorer and at the mo we are overly reliant on Watkins scoring goals for us (unlike this time last year when Luiz, Diaby, Bailey etc had all chipped in). I also think Maatsen deserves a start because he’s quality.

Man Utd aren’t the team they were but they’re better than everyone we’ve played so far bar Arsenal plus they have our number so we have to play better than we did against Wolves and Everton. Also the team put a lot into Bayern so changes won’t be a bad thing.

I don’t think it’ll be that team anyway.