Kingman

Just now, VillaChris said:

Onana went off v Everton but was available a few days later. Pretty sure Bailey was subbed because he kept losing the ball every time he got it second half rather than any injury but could be wrong on that.

I think they'll both be in the squad but that both are carrying knocks.

Man U are poorly coached; they have zero structure and you can pick holes in their defence with ease.

However, that lack of tactical setup does actually make them dangerous if you stoop to their level and allow the match to turn into a basketball game; they are unpredictable and have pace upfront that can catch you out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, andym said:

Man U are poorly coached; they have zero structure and you can pick holes in their defence with ease.

However, that lack of tactical setup does actually make them dangerous if you stoop to their level and allow the match to turn into a basketball game; they are unpredictable and have pace upfront that can catch you out.

They completely did us second half at OT last season pinging the diagonal long balls out wide to Rashford and Garnarcho, we couldn't cope at all and bizarrely did little to counter it.

However this season we seemed to have dropped our defence back a good five-ten yards, we certainly did v Arsenal. Last night Bayern were doing that type of pass and they got behind us on one occasion but luckily Gnarby couldn't quite get the ball under control and it rolled straight into Emi's hands so if we can handle their quality Man. United really should be more straightforward.

The way to beat them is feed Rogers continually when we win the ball. Also looking forward to Maatsen starting this, they won't enjoy trying to mark the runs he makes infield.

It's hard to see us not scoring 2 or 3 against them, I think we'll win similar to Unai's first match.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Whether they have Ratboy and Mainoo or not, we need to control the midfield and be alert to their countering so I'd go for the below;

Emi

Konsa   Carlos   Pau   Digne

Youri   Onana   Barkley

Jaden        Ollie         Rogers

Only if Onana isn't fit then I'd be tempted to put Maatsen on the left and move Rogers inside to get at them a bit more.

Bailey looks like he's not ready to come back yet and no point throwing Cash straight in against Rashford or Garnacho

There will be some reaction by them after that mess against Ange Ball Mate last week. There will also be a some down for us after the highs of Bayern. 

1-1.

• Like 1

All the teams above us have pretty easy fixtures (though hopefully someone will slip up). Really could do with winning this. Garnacho is the main worry for me, but hopefully they'll play Casemiro who's a passenger these days. Would also like us to take a few more shots - their Onana is not that great.

• Like 2

Worst case:

-----------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Konsa---------Carlos-----------Torres-----------Digne

------------------Barkley-------Tielemans-----------------

Philogene--------------Buendia----------------Rogers

------------------------------Watkins---------------------------

Which still isn't bad and I've discounted Cash, Mings, McGinn, Onana, Bailey, Ramsey and Kamara.

Surely it's about time we had a comfortable victory over them, we've shown we're capable of it but we always seem to let it slip after going ahead. 2-0 i reckon, either that or we go 2-0 up and lose 2-3.

• Like 1

03/12/23 Bournemouth 2 - 2 Villa

06/12/23 Villa 1 - 0 Man. City

09/12/23 Villa 1 - 0 Arsenal

29/09/24 Ipswich 2 - 2 Villa

02/10/24 Villa 1 - 0 Bayern

06/10/24 Villa ? - ? Man. Utd. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Worst case:

-----------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Konsa---------Carlos-----------Torres-----------Digne

------------------Barkley-------Tielemans-----------------

Philogene--------------Buendia----------------Rogers

------------------------------Watkins---------------------------

Which still isn't bad and I've discounted Cash, Mings, McGinn, Onana, Bailey, Ramsey and Kamara.

And Maatsen, Duran and Kosta still options on the bench. Not bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaTO said:

03/12/23 Bournemouth 2 - 2 Villa

06/12/23 Villa 1 - 0 Man. City

09/12/23 Villa 1 - 0 Arsenal

29/09/24 Ipswich 2 - 2 Villa

02/10/24 Villa 1 - 0 Bayern

06/10/24 Villa ? - ? Man. Utd. 

Yes please!

2 hours ago, Razor said:

Surely it's about time we had a comfortable victory over them, we've shown we're capable of it but we always seem to let it slip after going ahead. 2-0 i reckon, either that or we go 2-0 up and lose 2-3.

Unai's first game was the comfortable victory over them. Went 2-0 very early, they fluked a heavily deflected goal right on half time but then we scored early in second and they never looked like getting back into the game.

Hopefully we don't wait another 27 years for a VP win!

• Like 2