Ratings & Reactions: Ipswich v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/24 at 22:59

13 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Needed Barkley earlier, Onana ran about and won a number of headers but they just kinda went wherever, didn't offer us any control whatsoever.

JJ ignored the overlap too often, turning into pressure constantly. Struggles in games where he doesn't have space to run.

Bailey is being actively double marked now, one holding the outside and another covering the cut inside to his left. Without a right back that can attack adequately, there's nobody to take a body off him.

This is a good point, Ned may have been useful in that aspect as likes to get forward.

Two points dropped really, although Ipswich battled hard throughout. Morsy should have been off yesterday, no doubt about it and I couldn't believe it when Phillips was given a free-kick for running into one of our men (which ultimately led to their first goal, although how many chances did me miss to clear it around our box?). 

22 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

We were awful but my God the match threads are getting more and more toxic. 

I keep seeing comments like this, but all I see most of the time is people calling us out when we're playing badly. 

Seriously, what do you mean by toxic? Some people maybe a bit overboard with their criticism but 90% of comments are just people reacting to what they're seeing. Toxic is a very strong word, implies people are howling for blood. 

Do you expect a load of happy clapping when we're giving the ball away, making bad decisions constantly and failing to work any openings against a significantly less talented opposition? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blunther said:

Impressed by some of Ipswich’s play. Hope they stay up and think they’ll have a good chance. We were awful other than the brief period we scored two. Did we have a chance second half? A point was all we deserved, if that. 

Yes. For all that we were terrible, they were good and played it perfectly. My mate is a Wolves fan and I told him last week not to worry as all. The promoted teams will be worse.  But I'm not so sure actually. 

But then these teams can do OK early doors but as the season grinds on they tend to get found out, injuries take their toll and the established teams with probably more squad depth start to get their act together. 

22 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

Go back and read through. Same people, ( you included ) bitching and crying all the way through the match.

Meybe because, you know, we were absolutely terrible for most of it? Do you expect them to be showered with praise and a ton of positive posts? 

Thought too many players had an eye on Wednesday night and not to miss it, the major problem was our right side and Konsa probably had one off his worst games filling in at right back but without McGinn in front and Bailey just not tracking back and letting runners go we managed a draw just about. The right back position has to be solved or we are just moving players around and not letting partnerships develop into a stronger back line.

On 29/09/2024 at 23:05, the_eristic said:

Needed Barkley earlier, Onana ran about and won a number of headers but they just kinda went wherever, didn't offer us any control whatsoever.

JJ ignored the overlap too often, turning into pressure constantly. Struggles in games where he doesn't have space to run.

Bailey is being actively double marked now, one holding the outside and another covering the cut inside to his left. Without a right back that can attack adequately, there's nobody to take a body off him.

Yeah.

...but that means someone else is free of a marker.....maybe we are not capitalising on that.

The game  has overloads and underloads....but players have to find a way to avoid being closed down.

constant movement is one way, where markers find it difficult to work.....I find some of our players, are on their heels as opposed to the balls of their feet, and look laboured and slow, looking for someone else to do stuff....that has a habit of getting in to the thinking and then decision making becomes slow too.

Our play is becoming predictable and teams are sussing us out....with willing runners challenging us and us in energy conservation mode, we are finding the going difficult against teams ostensibly not as good as us.

Edited by TRO

Posted (edited)
On 29/09/2024 at 21:51, andycappa said:

Jaden has off days every time I have seen him play, no tricks to beat his man, knocked off the ball easily, at the Monet he offers absolutely nothing 

Is that the impression you have? 

Edited by sidcow

On 29/09/2024 at 23:42, Mantis said:

I'm sorry but in absolutely no sane world can 4 wins and a draw from our first 6 league games, while also winning our opening League Cup and Champions League matches, while still dealing with significant injury absences, be reasonably described as a "wobbly start".

You can debate whether it's a great start or a decent start or just an ok start or whatever but "wobbly" it is not, under absolutely no circumstances.

Depends on if you are purely analysing points on the board or looking at performances and opposition. 

Wolves for example have had a disastrous start to the season but have had the misfortune to play almost consecutively the top third of last years table and performed really well and been unlucky in most games. 

We've stumbled through a lot of games against lower end table opposition. 

With our very kind start to the figures I would have hoped for a significantly better goal difference. 

If we don't start playing better (which I'm certain we will) we're going to start dropping off as the games get harder. 

Wobbly start can be about performance, not just points. 

We may choose, to eck out obvious errors and mistakes, that relate to individuals, and nothing wrong with that......but many elements are at fault, in that game  and other games where we have won, that lead to those errors.

We don't have to lose or draw, to only see shortfalls......They are there when we win.

Scoring umpteen goals and go on to win, does not negate shortfalls in our defensive make up.....What it does do, is encourage us to rejoice and look forward to the next game...To do that with conviction, we need more.

My point is.....We have to fix these issues in order to progress with any kind of tangible faith....and not flip flop from game to game with hope as our only friend.

Edited by TRO

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â