Ratings & Reactions: Ipswich v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/24 at 22:59

Needed Barkley earlier, Onana ran about and won a number of headers but they just kinda went wherever, didn't offer us any control whatsoever.

JJ ignored the overlap too often, turning into pressure constantly. Struggles in games where he doesn't have space to run.

Bailey is being actively double marked now, one holding the outside and another covering the cut inside to his left. Without a right back that can attack adequately, there's nobody to take a body off him.

One thing I would say despite our wobbly start (and probably goes against other things Ive posted but hey I’m fickle and emotive, but Ive had time to think) is that I won’t accept that it’s luck that we have won against Everton, Leicester, etc. it’s Emery and team who has brought in the mentality to fight back and not give up, and it’s also not luck we have Duran to win us the games. He was kept by Emery, calmed down by Emery, brought on by Emery at the right time and those things together have resulted in victory. They aren’t lucky wins, that’s good coaching. I’d rather not have to claw back from 1 or 2 down but hey ho.

What does worry me is that whichever way you spin it this is a bit of a wobble. But then ultimately we have probably overachieved with what we have and we haven’t been able to improve on the players we’ve got. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maltesemike said:

True, they were top drawer. But errors nonetheless cost us in the game.

Oh yes, fundamental levels too. Too many individual errors. Totally unforced errors. We will improve - but it doesn’t fill you with confidence that certain players who should know better make such obvious mistakes. It will balance out though. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm sorry but in absolutely no sane world can 4 wins and a draw from our first 6 league games, while also winning our opening League Cup and Champions League matches, while still dealing with significant injury absences, be reasonably described as a "wobbly start".

You can debate whether it's a great start or a decent start or just an ok start or whatever but "wobbly" it is not, under absolutely no circumstances.

Maybe wobbly is the wrong word. The wins, draws etc just doesn’t feel sustainable at the current level of performance. We have played bad teams and scraped by. 

Granted we do have injuries and packed schedule. This early on though it’s a little concerning I think. I’m worried for the Man Utd game. 

5 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

So because other people can't regulate their emotions and act like normal human beings rather than having a hissy fit every week because we're not smashing every team, that means that I should stay out of the match thread? 🙄

No, you don't have to stay out of it. Just know that it's like a stand in there, live football makes people silly.

WE made that game hard for ourselves and it shouldn't have been..... nothing from our recent reputation suggested to me that we was not capable of winning that game, until we started playing. The League positions of both teams bared no resemblance to that poor performance.

Our defensive work is in danger of undoing everything good about this Villa Team...it was amateurish....It really is a worry, now.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Oh yes, fundamental levels too. Two many individual errors. Totally unforced errors. We will improve - but it doesn’t fill you with confidence that certain players who should know better make such obvious mistakes. It will balance out though. 

some of the decision making was woeful....Konsa's suicide pass which was intercepted for their second goal, should have gone out wide to Jaden.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Poor game management from us second half, needed the third goal before slowing things down.

Unai hopefully won't make the same mistake again.

Konsa needs to be back in the centre of defence, play Ned at RB

Ref bottled sending their captain off twice.

Need to focus on getting a clean sheet every game as this first goal give away is beyond a joke now.

Over to you guys Wednesday to get VP rocking and give the diving cheat Kane hell.

UTV

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

Maybe wobbly is the wrong word. The wins, draws etc just doesn’t feel sustainable at the current level of performance. We have played bad teams and scraped by. 

Granted we do have injuries and packed schedule. This early on though it’s a little concerning I think. I’m worried for the Man Utd game. 

Yep. People are saying we haven't got out of second gear, but what if this is it, what if this is our top gear?  We looked shoddy in preseason and frankly it's carried on into this season. We've heavily relied on subs and today as with Arsenal that didn't work. We're leaking goals alarmingly and that is an issue especially when we are huffing and puffing up top. He has to address this quick as the tough games start now.

People are saying we haven't got out of second gear, but what if this is it, what if this is our top gear?  We looked shoddy in preseason and frankly it's carried on into this season. We've heavily relied on subs and today as with Arsenal that didn't work. We're leaking goals alarmingly and that is an issue especially when we are huffing and puffing up top. Unai has to address this quick as the tough games start now.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm sorry but in absolutely no sane world can 4 wins and a draw from our first 6 league games, while also winning our opening League Cup and Champions League matches, while still dealing with significant injury absences, be reasonably described as a "wobbly start".

You can debate whether it's a great start or a decent start or just an ok start or whatever but "wobbly" it is not, under absolutely no circumstances.

Absolutely. The concerning thing is that we haven’t looked convincing at all  

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Probably was better and I'm not complaining as he is scoring. But his general play, passing, touch I think has been worse this season

It has, but yesterday he was really sharp and his touch and general play was good. Let's hope that continues now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Yep. People are saying we haven't got out of second gear, but what if this is it, what if this is our top gear?  We looked shoddy in preseason and frankly it's carried on into this season. We've heavily relied on subs and today as with Arsenal that didn't work. We're leaking goals alarmingly and that is an issue especially when we are huffing and puffing up top. He has to address this quick as the tough games start now.

Because this is how we played last season and how we are set up. Was a lot of first gear performances last season even when we were winning

This time last season we put in a similarly bad performance away to Forest

• Like 1

Frustrating performance, always disappointing to not win when you have a lead. Konsa obviously is wasted on the right, we see him struggle there often. They were full value for their point despite being very fortunate to have 11 men on the field.

Havent seen many talking about the Watkins penalty incident first half. Their defender has a handfull of shirt the whole time, then puts his leg across, doesnt win the ball, and trips Ollie. Its just brushed aside as nothing, not enough…Looked stonewall to me but ive long given up on the officiating in this league. Truly abysmal from the referee again yesterday.

13pts from 18 with those fixtures is probably par for the course. Beat Man Utd and all is well again. Expecting a hiding midweek though 😬

The obvious difference between this season and last is the defence.

This time last season we were all marvelling at the disciplined high line and how good our defence was every single game (bar the Newcastle anomaly in the first game)

That's gone this season. It's recoverable, I'm sure Unai is working on a solution day and night. But that for me is the biggest miss

We're scoring goals. That's not a problem. But when you're conceding every game (we haven't kept a clean sheet in the league since the game vs Arsenal in April) and going behind in every game, you're going to slip up.
We can't continue to come from behind to win in every game. It's impossible

• Like 1

That was a banana skin game right from the start.

First half, Ipswich shaded it. Second half, they were all over us.

Worst player on the pitch was Konsa. Not a high bar (or low, whichever way you look at it), but he played terribly. If Bogarde had given that performance he would be slated.

Nice to see Morgan score though. Nice to see a right footed cross from the right wing too. Beautiful delivery, beautiful header.

I am hoping we get to see more of that on the left wing when Iling-Junior comes back.

Officials were shocking too. How their number 5 didn't get sent off on at least two, maybe three occasions, I will never know. He seemed to be following the SkySports narrative of the game being all about "plucky" Ipswich, instead of just two teams playing each other for three points in the Premier League.

Overall, it was just a bad day at the office, but we still managed to scrape out a point from it.

Edited by Andy_10

The reluctance to push for a third goal when at 1-2 was so frustrating to watch. Constantly re-cycling the ball back to the halfway line instead of getting it into the box. With four minutes to go we were walking forward with the ball like we were playing the clock down, no urgency.

Bad day all round.

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

An unbeaten September. Worth celebrating that still regardless of a poor performance. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â