Ratings & Reactions: Ipswich v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/24 at 22:59

We have a number of issues:

• Can’t defend or keep clean sheets (rubbish defence, Konsa and Torres overrated)
  • No width whatsoever (Ramsey isn’t a left winger, Philogene is a winger but looks rubbish at this level, we miss Diaby)
  • We are too slow as a team (this comes from the manager, Unai is world class but he’s got to change his approach because we should have won today, we are better then them on paper but our slow approach made it so easy.)

We are -3 points down in equivalent games from last season, we will be lucky to finish top 6 in all honesty unless we drastically improve in the coming months. We were fortunate to get past Leicester, Everton and wolves who are all mediocre teams at best.

Edited by Leeroy

Sky sports are embarrassing finding reason as to why the 2nd yellow was not given, 4 tackles 1st half and a yellow the 1st one 2nd half was yellow and off, the 2nd one was a straight red, if it had been a Villa player the red would have been straight out, corrupt league, corrupt refs 

I think the performance was similar to all our performances to be honest. Far to interested in pissing round with the ball in possession. Slow getting the ball forward, Sloppy, ponderous, mistake ridden. I've been saying the same for the last few weeks that our performances lack the intensity in attack that we had last season and a reason why we can't put teams away early without relying on them folding late on. 

• Like 1

We got what we deserved in the end but Ipswich should have been down to ten men before they equalised.

First half was pretty poor, second half was worse, Diego Carlos is an issue and what’s happened to Leon Bailey? Looks less than half the player he was last season (barring the perfect cross for Watkins’ goal of course).

JPB offering nothing so far in his limited time on the pitch, will need a massive improvement and I would think/hope a far more resilient defensive performance in midweek to stand a chance.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's not a conspiracy to point out that the ref was crap and that if he had sent off Morsy as he should've done, we probably would've won. Pointing that out doesn't excuse the poor performance.

We came from a goal down to lead, and then through being lacklustre in the second - half we threw it away. Shoulda, coulda doesn't cut it at this level for me I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

He tried to make a forward pass 70 yards away from our goal and it got cut out. Yes it was a poor ball but are you telling me that should score from that? Carlos is a liability, he’s been poor for a lot of games now.  

The ball was then pumped over a strolling Konsa and they were 1 on 1 immediately as they had been all game given the only tactic we had to defend against was a quick break! If Konsa decides to play the only ball that was viable, Ipswich don't break.

• Like 1

Most frustrating thing about today, and I’m aware this is random, is when Digne had 30 yards of clear grass to run into and just turned around and passed it backwards.

We’ve spent £37m on a left back who played in the CL final last season and we’re not playing him. Maatsen would have knocked that forward and probably got us into a goal scoring position. If Emery doesn’t trust him defensively then why did we f****** sign him. 

Over the top. Perhaps. But it just really wound me up! 

20 minutes ago, Hev said:

Yet again, we have a chance to go top and choke. Not one corner all game either - when did that last happen? 

Was just thinking the same thing, a game that was very reminiscent of the home game to Sheff Utd last year, when we also had a chance to go top, then blew it with a lackadaisical display in second gear. That one was worse because we were at home, but this was very poor as well. 

The lack of corners speaks to the fact that they never had to stretch themselves - literally or metaphorically - to defend against us in that second half, because we played it at walking pace. 

Got to feel that we've been incredibly fortunate with our fixture list and, even then, having Duran on a hot streak.

We've been pretty awful all season, arguably playing our best in the loss against Arsenal. We've scraped wins, and often late fortunate ones after being behind, against some of the worst teams in the league. Other than Arsenal, we've played teams 14th or lower and been lucky to escape with so many points.

We've been papering over the cracks. It isn't clicking this season at all. Defensively we've been shocking (no clean sheets in the league) and even going forward we've been slower and less decisive than usual. We've been relying on those individual 'moments of magic' and that will always only have so much success before it dries up.

Unai has some work to do as the signs are that there is a complacency or lack of discipline/effort this season. The RB decision is a disaster and certain players are being allowed to coast.

Think the next few months could be a bit of a wake up call as to where we really are as regards our level. Based on performances, I'd say that is outside ANY European spots at the moment and our league position is highly misleading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

.... what’s happened to Leon Bailey? Looks less than half the player he was last season (barring the perfect cross for Watkins’ goal of course).

I think it is the missing competition for the right wing. When Diaby came, Bailey upped the game big time. Now we don't have any credible player to take his place.

Like clockwork, opportunity to go to the top of the table and we shit the bed. 

Ref was garbage, but that doesn't account for a 10-0 corner count.

Too many players thought that just turning up would be enough. Our defence leaks like a sieve and our wide players only had one trick-run into the corner, get trapped pass ot back to the fullback.

What even is the point of carlos at this stage tbh?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

What did Carlos do wrong today then? 

2 big chances Ipswich missed in the first half were down to him being 5 yards behind the other defenders for the Clarke header and in no man’s land when Emi saved from Delap, don’t even get me started on the 2nd Delap goal. He’s simply not good enough for where we are at.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Well we were in control at that point imo so if the ref does his job and sends morsey off theres a very high chance we win. 

Carlos and Konsa were shit at the back though and ramsey broke down our attacking plays

We were never in control in that second - half, it was as piss - poor as you can get. Ipswich well deserved that point, they never let their heads drop once, so fair play to them and credit where it's due.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I think the performance was similar to all our performances to be honest. Far to interested in pissing round with the ball in possession. Slow getting the ball forward, Sloppy, ponderous, mistake ridden. I've been saying the same for the last few weeks that our performances lack the intensity in attack that we had last season and a reason why we can't put teams away early without relying on them folding late on. 

Spot on.

Been the same in last few games.

The attacking intensity is not there this season and yes we have come back in other games bit this has been against a poor Everton...even wolves and a Wycombe team leagues below.

We need to get going and for the love of God...move the ball quicker...this delay and wait is just a mistake and easy to read waiting to happen 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â