wedge

2pm Sunday KO on TV away to a newly-promoted side early on in the season usually makes me very anxious but this is Unai's trend-bucking Villans we're talking about!

Will be a tough game where we'll have to suffer at times and be patient I'd imagine.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 3

Some players are good in any context, some perform poorly if they don't have their preferred on-pitch partners. I don't think I've ever seen us really talk about much this on VT. I don't know why.

I'm thinking Onana and Barkly don't always sync well? Bailey needs Cash or Konsa?. And so on.

I think Onana should start if Tielemans is also on in this match. EFL match has no bearing.

• Like 1

They've not done us a favour playing this on the Sunday, had it been Saturday we'd have had another day to prepare for Bayern. 

I was expecting to see whoever had shone against Wycombe to come in for this to keep players fresher for Bayern but not many shined too brightly...

We'll put out a strong side and hopefully get 3 points.

Hoping Cash is back. Not convinced by Bogarde or Nedeljković (YET), and Carlos seems to have one brain fart most games, and putting Konsa RB obviously weakens us centrally too.

I am going to hope that his non-inclusion last night was to give him more time to get fit for Saturday, and I'll put him in my starting XI.

Martinez

Cash    Konsa    Torres     Digne

Bailey  Onana  Tielemans  Ramsey

Rogers

Watkins

Subs; Gauci, Bogarde, Carlos, Ned, Maatsen, Barkley, Buendia, Ramsey, Duran.

These will be no mugs on their home soil, they've had 3 draws previously and their two defeats were Liverpool and Man City, so we need to be "on it" from the start.

I'd like to think that we will have a bit too much though, 1v2 us. Watkins and Bailey. 

13 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Barkley, Maatsen, Duran to get good minutes. Will be a tough game, but one we have to be targeting 3 points from. 

Only if we don't turn up. If we play to any kind of standard we'll beat them comfortably. They're a championship standard team who will do well to get over 30 points this season. We should be miles too good for them. 

Edited by villa89

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Only if we don't turn up. If we play to any kind of standard we'll beat them comfortably. They're a championship standard team who will do well to get over 30 points this season. We should be miles too good for them. 

That will be the key factor in most games this season as we are a very good side and better than most in the league. If we drop off though, then we are capable of losing games like this. Hopefully we won't.

I think you are giving them a bit of a diservice though, they have only lost 2 home league games in 2 seasons (albeit in league one and the championship) and caused Liverpool a few issues early on. They will certainly be up for it, so we better be.

17 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Emi

Ned Konsa Pau Digne

Bailey Onana Tielemans Ramsey

Rogers Watkins

Barkley, Maatsen, Duran to get good minutes. Will be a tough game, but one we have to be targeting 3 points from. 

Bailey isn't ready imo, but with Jaden and SJM injured, probably our only option 

Emi

Kosta Konsa Pau Digne

Onana Tielemans

Bailey  Rogers Ramsey 

Watkins

Give Ollie 60 mins to play himself into some better form, then reward Duran. Agree with you on Maatsen and Barkley, both will be needed Vs Bayern so should be given time, as should Buendia

We haven't been firing on all cylinders and this will be tougher than wolves at home, we need a clean sheet but I see this has been a tight game, pity as it would have been nice to start strong score a couple then sub the key players off. My fear is a close game with a goal in it or more likely a draw. Please prove me wrong Emery,  UTV 

14 hours ago, duke313 said:

Worth noting they have drew their last three games.  Shouldn't be underestimated just because they are newly promoted, remember Sheff Utd?

I agree, I think this will be a tougher test than Leicester as Ipswich have more pace in the final third (Omari Hutchinson, Ogbene, Smdodzics).

Wouldn't shock me if it was a 1-1 tbh. Actually expecting that result if we actually have the chance to go top which is a reasonable possibility given Man. City and Liverpool also have away games.

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

I do

Sheffield United were competitive for about 4 games and then terrible for the rest of the season.

If you want a guide to how Sunday could go if we underestimate then then Luton away from last season is a better guide. We were 2-0 up at half time and very comfortable and then Luton started spamming our back post with crosses and set plays and it quickly went back to 2-2 and we were clinging on. Huge goal from Digne to win it right at the end and that was one of the results that got us 4th in the end as we were in indifferent form at that stage.

17 hours ago, TDR V2 said:

I'd take a point right now, but I'm pretty sure Emery wants 3.

This is more important than Bayern, Bayern is just a UCL bonus for me (ducks)

I think anyone that wants long term success for this club would agree, 9 points is all we need to get to next phase of CL, far more important to win this game and it's not even remotely close. 

But why noth both! 😅

17 hours ago, TDR V2 said:

I'd take a point right now, but I'm pretty sure Emery wants 3.

This is more important than Bayern, Bayern is just a UCL bonus for me (ducks)

Really, away at Ipswich. Away at City, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool, maybe even Brighton and West Ham (already beaten them away though) yep I'd take a point. Away at Ipswich (or any likely bottom half team for that matter) anything other than 3 points is simply points dropped because we are the better side. Not to say we could drop points, no game is easy, but if we draw the game it won't be a great result for us.

We won away at all the teams that went down last season and only lost to two bottom half teams away (Forest and Brighton) and the Brighton game was when we were out on our feet. Our record against bottom half teams away from home was won 5, drew 3, lost 2. With most of our team well rested for this one I'd like to think we can win this game and keep up our 100% record away from home.

Edited by Leeroy

11 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really, away at Ipswich. Away at City, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool, maybe even Brighton and West Ham (already beaten them away though) yep I'd take a point. Away at Ipswich (or any likely bottom half team for that matter) anything other than 3 points is simply points dropped because we are the better side. Not to say we could drop points, no game is easy, but if we draw the game it won't be a great result for us.

We won away at all the teams that went down last season and only lost to two bottom half teams away (Forest and Brighton) and the Brighton game was when we were out on our feet. Our record against bottom half teams away from home was won 5, drew 3, lost 2. With most of our team well rested for this one I'd like to think we can win this game and keep up our 100% record away from home.

Oh yeah a point isn't great but we stay unbeaten. I'd love 3 points but Ipswich won't be straightforward. Hopefully bringing Duran on towards the end will finish them off

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â