Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Wycombe v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/24 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

You could say we judged this to perfection. Won the game with the weakest team we could win it with. Any weaker and you lose. Any stronger and you're using first teamers who need a rest.  In that sense we got minutes into the right legs and gave a run-out to players thought deserving of it. Buendia got a goal. Gauci showed some promise. Duran got his start and another goal. Debuts for several players. It wasn't an easy watch at times, but in the sense of being in the hat for the next round while getting several smaller jobs done, I think that's mission accomplished. We won't see a team that weak again, unless we get another Wycombe-esque draw in the next round.

I think the average age of the squad last night was 22.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I think the average age of the squad last night was 22.

I'd say so yes. And that's my point. We've seen it plenty of times over the years in the EFL trophy. Sending the under 21s out against grown men, albeit from a lower league, can bite you in the ass. But we judged it perfectly. The right mix. Just about.

• Like 1

Pretty difficult to choose a MOTM for that, I went with Gauci because I though he looked pretty assured and made a decent save from the header late on - Not sure if he oculd have done better with the goal though.

I can see Buendia got the majority of votes, and I'm wondering how many of these voters watched the game, because he was way off it IMO. He gave the ball away countless times, and was pretty dreadul.

That said, his goal was really well executed, so that in itself (in a game like this) might swing the voting and of course, it is fantastic to see him playing again after such a lengthy lay off, again that may have swung the voting. Maybe I've answered my own question there. 

I'm a Buendia fan and pleased that he's back and scoring, it's good to see, but it's obvious he needs time to get up to the levels he's capable of. I hope our fans give him that.

Back to the game, was all a bit meh really, they deserved penalties - but no injuries (I think), through to the next round, vital players rested, I'd take that all the way to Wembley really - but we're going to need some luck with the cup draws for a couple of rounds...

• Like 1

Happy we won, happy we picked up no injuries to key players.

Performances from Barkley, Onana, Duran and Buendia were very poor and those four alone should have bossed this game ...... instead they just didn't look too bothered.

Swinkels put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen in a Villa shirt - looked completely lost - and I know he is better than that. Bogarde was also alarmingly iffy on the ball. Liked Gauci, liked Maatsen, liked Young.

Happy to move on fast !

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Performances from Barkley, Onana, Duran and Buendia were very poor and those four alone should have bossed this game ...... instead they just didn't look too bothered.

Swinkels put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen in a Villa shirt - looked completely lost - and I know he is better than that. Bogarde was also alarmingly iffy on the ball. Liked Gauci, liked Maatsen, liked Young.

Happy to move on fast !

Strange, as the general consensus is that he did quite well up until we conceded.

I think Swinkels and Bogarde both did ok up until just before the end when they both seemed to either get tired, or lose focus, or both.  Swinkels missed a couple of long balls going over his head and one of them let one bounce in the box whihc is a no-no.  Bogarde failed to deal decisively with the aftermath in each case which led to chances and the goal.

I was especially disappointed in Barkley who gave the ball away and played further sloppy ones in dangerous areas quite a few times, and Bailey who just didn't look on it at all.  I also thought Buendia looked off the pace most of the game and was caught in possession too often.  Understandable given his long lay off.   Took his goal well mind.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

We won't see a team that weak again, unless we get another Wycombe-esque draw in the next round.

I think Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke are likely to be the only non-Premier League teams involved and they're all a fair bit stronger than Wycombe.

It'll be interesting because I'm not sure we'll want to roll out too many of the first team and the squad isn't massive.

I think both Young and Maatsen were okay - but I'm not sure they work asa combination. Young wants the ball up to him early, either in front of him to run onto or quickly so that he can get into a one-on-one with the defender, that's not really Maatsen's game - Maatsen wants to get forward himself, he wants to overlap and get into the same positions Young takes up. I think Young will work really well with Digne and Maatsen with Rogers.

Credit must go to Wycombe and there coaching team, they got amongst us and caused problems,  similar to wolves first half. It was only a moment of quality from Buendia that seperated us, I'm discounting our penalty and their goal, if var had been on both would have been overruled, not a clear penalty and their player handled the ball before shooting.

On 24/09/2024 at 23:45, NurembergVillan said:

You alright mate? Do you need someone to phone you an ambulance?

After watching that load of tripe think I'll definitely need one.

On 25/09/2024 at 07:38, Zatman said:

At least the Leeds guys put in an effort.

Suppose the mighty "Wigan" got further than Everton who are a real embarrassment

Wouldn't expect anything else than the above content from you Zatman. 🥱

On 25/09/2024 at 12:16, Paul33 said:

Happy to move on fast !

Young looked ordinary against sub standard opposition. At best a Championship player.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Not biting I'm afraid.

Because you were outed. Its cool happened Leeds crew too

Since you "watched" the game and entered the thread could have easiky guessed the opponent correctly. Began with a W so was close

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â