Ratings & Reactions: LC3: Wycombe v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/24 at 22:59

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

CBS commentator just said that was really entertaining, dear god what does he usually watch

The same bloke who insisted on calling Bogarde, Bohardy all match?  Maybe he's an expert Dutch linguist but it was annoying the 💩 out of me... 

Edited by FLVillan

1 minute ago, striker said:

What a horrible watch. Villa could have quite easily lost that game by some margin if Wigan's forwards weren't so terrible.

The only player to come out of that game with any credit was Borland when he came on. Very tidy on the ball and didn't panic in tight situations.

The rest were just as poor as Wigan were and should be embarrassed their performances were actually televised.

I know we were bad, but I dont think Wigans forwards would have ever scored against us! 😜

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, striker said:

What a horrible watch. Villa could have quite easily lost that game by some margin if Wigan's forwards weren't so terrible.

The only player to come out of that game with any credit was Borland when he came on. Very tidy on the ball and didn't panic in tight situations.

The rest were just as poor as Wigan were and should be embarrassed their performances were actually televised.

You alright mate? Do you need someone to phone you an ambulance?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Caddy said:

The league cup is a bit tinpot these days, but look what the goal meant to Buendia. It's still a worthwhile competition IMO even if the big sides take the piss in the lower rounds

Its probably more respected by clubs than the FA Cup these days. Since 2013 only United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea have won it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, striker said:

At least the Leeds guys put in an effort.

Suppose the mighty "Wigan" got further than Everton who are a real embarrassment

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Got the job done. Through to the next round, nothing else matters. I gave Buendia man of the match because he kept trying and it was good to see him score a goal and it wasn't an easy chance to take. Thought our defence looked a bit dodgy but oh well. 

As we know, defending is the thing it takes longest to get right in Emery's system, and this was the first time these guys had played together in that combination. Losing Carlos in the warm up didn't help either.

• Like 1

If we had rested so many players in past seasons we wouldn't be in this evening's draw, but we are and that is real progress. No, it wasn't pretty but they got the job done and that's what top sides like us do. 

So pleased for our captain tonight, after such a long injury lay off,  that was some header too. I thought Gauci looked solid, other than for one misjudged, long throw. Duran reminded me of Harry Kane, when he won that penalty too ;) and he converted it with some aplomb.  Young players got a first team run out, but the regular squad players will need to move up a few gears for the Ipswich game (as I'm sure UE will have let them know). Job done! 

9 hours ago, rubberman said:

See, on the one hand I completely agree and think a lot of his effectiveness as a sub comes from what has happened over the previous hour, tired legs etc. 

But (and I think Watkins suffers this with England), if you are only put at the top of a makeshift/2nd string side, you'll never look as good as the first choice forward in front of the first choice team. 

Yeah, having time to think about it & seeing your post, you make a valid point.

I think I was just frustrated with the whole performance overall when you consider they had a ton of players missing as well.

But that doesn't change your point, & I accept it as valid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, striker said:

Wigan??

Honestly thought Gauci was MOTM which probably says something about the performance. I know he had that heart in mouth moment from the long throw in and one or two porous pieces of distribution, but I thought on the whole he did what you'd want to see of him when called into action. Can't say any other player had their finest showing, although Borland had an impressive albeit brief cameo.

One to forget, I'm sure it won't happen but fingers crossed the draw is kind to us, we can get through and rotate, and suddenly find ourselves deep in the competition when you can then take it more seriously. 

11 hours ago, striker said:

In the shock result of the night, Wigan Athletic were knocked out despite their opponents, Aston VIlla, not turning up. The game was terminated after 10 minutes, with Wigan 2 down through own goals.

In the meantime Wycombe Wanderers were taken by surprise when a fully-kitted Villa team arrived expecting a match. Wycombe’s manager said, ‘“They seemed s nice bunch of lads, so we put to gether a scratch team from our ground staff and club shop employees and we damned nearly beat them”.

Unai Emery, “In the first half we played BLEEP”.

Edited by briny_ear

You could say we judged this to perfection. Won the game with the weakest team we could win it with. Any weaker and you lose. Any stronger and you're using first teamers who need a rest.  In that sense we got minutes into the right legs and gave a run-out to players thought deserving of it. Buendia got a goal. Gauci showed some promise. Duran got his start and another goal. Debuts for several players. It wasn't an easy watch at times, but in the sense of being in the hat for the next round while getting several smaller jobs done, I think that's mission accomplished. We won't see a team that weak again, unless we get another Wycombe-esque draw in the next round.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â