Match Thread: LC3: Wycombe v Villa

limpid

We look like a team that's never even come close to playing together before, the only recognised partnership anywhere on the field being Swinkels and Bogarde.

We look half a second too slow because it's a disjointed line up. Nothing is instinctive because they've never played together in a match setting.

PS Buendia to open the scoring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Senior players just don't care

Judging by the bench I don't think Unai is that bothered either 

This is the reality it’s just the sad thing is it rubs off on the youth who’d relish the opportunity and are now all at sea. 

• Like 1

We've got a good enough team out to be doing much better, but some of the senior players look like they're only half bothered, Onana, Barkley, and Buendia should be helping us control the game, to take pressure off inexperienced defence, and Maatsen going backwards every time, Duran not holding the ball up well. Kadan Young has done okay considering

With the extra 2 CL games rotation in the League Cup was always gonna happen. It sucks but the reality is this is the chance for fringe players to take a chance. It didn't happen last year vs Everton, well see what happens here.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'd be more likely to see JJ on for Buendia and leave the front three as it is - I think Broggio will come on for Young late on.

I’d look forward to seeing Broggio. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'd be more likely to see JJ on for Buendia and leave the front three as it is - I think Broggio will come on for Young late on.

I think Buendia needs to stay on. No point subbing him in a game like this 

I think it's difficult for Maatsen in that what he wants to do is get up the field and use his pace to cause trouble for the full back - but playing with an out and out pacy winger in Young means there's no space for him to do that and he's then playing a little bit within himself. I think if we were to bring on Ramsey for Young it would free Maatsen up a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

So hold on.. Barkley has a below average half against Wycombe but has been superb in multiple games in the league but it’s THIS half we are going to cling onto?

Christ! 🥱🥴

Mainly because based on those games and with this line up I was expecting him to boss this game 

This line up hinges on the 2 in the middle and they've both been really poor

I wanted Barkley to be getting 80+ touches tonight and seeing if his pass percentage was still >90%, I would guess that both of those things are going to be no

We've not been perfect in the last 2 league games but there's no one tonight suggesting anything should change Vs Ipswich 

Reminds me of the conference league group stages last season, playing at about 10% of usual intensity and just trying to do the absolute bare minimum and still get a result.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Buendia needs to stay on. No point subbing him in a game like this 

Subbing him off for Ramsey would improve us though 

Digging out Buendía is beyond harsh. The bloke has been out for over 12 months with a serious injury. What do people expect? He's bound to be rusty.

Agree that Barkley and Onana need to step it up. Like the look of Swinkels, shades of Pau about him. I think apart from any other shortcomings, Bogarde is too small to be a centre back.

• Like 2