Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

19 hours ago, Herman22 said:

This feels like a “give the fringe players minutes” type of game. 

Gauci

Ned Carlos Swinkels Maatsen

JB Barkley Bogarde JJ

Buendia

Duran

If Bogarde can’t play in midfield maybe start one of Onana or Tielemans. 

Who is JB? 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is Jaden injured? He was out for a few weeks, returned for the Everton game (which wasn't a great cameo) and he's disappeared again from the matchday squad.

He has essentially taken Traore's role at the club.  In every sense.

Though on the bright side, we can expect the odd worldie from 25 yards.

Sounds like this competition is not very high on the priority list for Emery so expect a heavily rotated team for this. Expect Maatsen, Barkley, Duran and Buendia to get their first starts of the season. Probably see Carlos, Bogarde and Bailey to come in. Wonder if Nedeljkovic will finally start? 

Don't expect it to be exciting tonight! 

Keep seeing people suggesting Torres should play. Check where he was two days ago:

It doesn't scream 'getting ready to face Wycombe'. I v strongly suspect he's been given some time off, and it wouldn't surprise me if Konsa, Tielemans, Rogers and Martinez had been also, since they've played every min in the PL so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Sounds like this competition is not very high on the priority list for Emery so expect a heavily rotated team for this. Expect Maatsen, Barkley, Duran and Buendia to get their first starts of the season. Probably see Carlos, Bogarde and Bailey to come in. Wonder if Nedeljkovic will finally start? 

Tbh, I'm more excited to see some of the fringe players playing than watching the first team spank Wycombe 9-0

Gauci

Ned  Carlos  Swinkels  Maatsen

K-Young  Buendia Bogarde Barkley  Ramsey

Duran

Be good to also see Kane Taylor, Broggio, Wilson or others get some minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Curious to know your source on this matter.

Ketchup, HP,  Daddy's?

15 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Curious to know your source on this matter.

Ketchup, HP,  Daddy's?

Unai Emery himself here

"It is clear the priority is the Premier League," said Emery. "Thirty eight matches [and] through it we have to get our first objective - try to be in the top seven and be consistent in playing in Europe.

"The second most difficult is the Champions League and then we have to try to find something important in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

"The FA Cup is maybe more important than the Carabao Cup, but the Carabao Cup is a trophy and we are going to compete.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Keep seeing people suggesting Torres should play. Check where he was two days ago:

It doesn't scream 'getting ready to face Wycombe'. I v strongly suspect he's been given some time off, and it wouldn't surprise me if Konsa, Tielemans, Rogers and Martinez had been also, since they've played every min in the PL so far. 

Well judging by the size of that pan they are all with him in Smethwick

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A club who ain't won anything in 30 years not being bothered about a good chance of silverware will never not be funny.

It's about priorities. Ours lie elsewhere. The domestic cups you hope for an easy draw, rotate players and if you end up in a quarter final // semi final then you start taking it seriously. 

• Like 1

Assuming Maatsen is starting, as he was used on the club's X post yesterday to advertise the game.

Unless we send out a Bristol Street Motors Trophy standard team then we should win this comfortably regardless of who plays.

In Emery's interview yesterday he said that we'd rotate and see if we had the chance of a trophy "after 3 rounds" - I'm not sure if that's a bit lost in translation and he meant 'after Round 3' or literally after 3 rounds, which would take us to the semi final. I assume the latter

Edited by StewieGriffin

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a League Cup game! Testament to how great we are to watch, I'll take all the Villa I can get. Looking forward to a match where we should be able to stretch our legs a bit and really show what we can do despite the inevitable lineup changes.

• Like 1