Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

The line-up will be intriguing. Surely we have to rotate heavily, for all the reasons outlined in this thread. And yet ... we know rotating heavily is something Emery hates to do. We've seen how much he likes a settled side. How much he trusts the same guys to just go out and do it time and time again. Helped by the fact that, statistically, we don't actually run around as much as other teams. Preferring to let the ball do it. I would like to see about 6 or 7 rotations. Not a full 11. I don't want to throw the match. Wycombe may be league 1 but they're good league 1 so show the respect and put them to bed. But it wouldn't surprise me if Emery goes stronger than we think he will, and think he should.

This feels like a “give the fringe players minutes” type of game. 

Gauci

Ned Carlos Swinkels Maatsen

JB Barkley Bogarde JJ

Buendia

Duran

If Bogarde can’t play in midfield maybe start one of Onana or Tielemans. 

14 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

This feels like a “give the fringe players minutes” type of game. 

Gauci

Ned Carlos Swinkels Maatsen

JB Barkley Bogarde JJ

Buendia

Duran

If Bogarde can’t play in midfield maybe start one of Onana or Tielemans. 

Surely neither Onana or Tielemans will be starting this one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I wonder if the game could be danger of being called off due to the weather?  Wimbledon v Newcastle called off this morning already. 

Looks like it’s raining quite heavily overnight in the area but then dry all day tomorrow and I can’t see a river anywhere near to the ground so fingers crossed should be okay 

• Thanks 1

Historically, rotating too heavily always results in us getting our pants pulled down.

The guys that have been coming on in games should start, but otherwise a strong squad is needed 

• Like 1

We either muller them, like we should do, otherwise we allow them to get right in our faces and bully us into a shock defeat. It's very important that we keep winning because there's no better habit. I think we'll be fine, just as long as we match their obvious determination. Let's hope some of the squad members can provide Unai some food for thought. 

Come on be Babbys!!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

The line-up will be intriguing. Surely we have to rotate heavily, for all the reasons outlined in this thread. And yet ... we know rotating heavily is something Emery hates to do. We've seen how much he likes a settled side. How much he trusts the same guys to just go out and do it time and time again. Helped by the fact that, statistically, we don't actually run around as much as other teams. Preferring to let the ball do it. I would like to see about 6 or 7 rotations. Not a full 11. I don't want to throw the match. Wycombe may be league 1 but they're good league 1 so show the respect and put them to bed. But it wouldn't surprise me if Emery goes stronger than we think he will, and think he should.

The team he put out for the Everton game last year was stupidly strong (McGinn left back the only experiment) yet we still lost, I'd rather heavy rotation, the season will be a long one hopefully and we can't afford to run out off legs like last year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BOF said:

For some reason I though this game was on Wednesday. We put a fair bit in on Saturday but then to me it's natural we just give the guys who turned that game round starts.

I imagine it will be the type of game where we just pace ourselves especially if we score a couple early on so I think it will be stronger than many are predicting and then we'll sub off key players on the hour mark and give kids a chance then.

Tuesday to Sunday 2pm is then a decent gap. It's the Man. United game where we'll probably have to rotate a bit coming so soon after Bayern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Gauci

Nedeljkovic Bogarde Carlos Maatsen 

Young Onana Barkley Ramsey 

Buendia Duran

I think we'll go with that

Is Jaden injured? He was out for a few weeks, returned for the Everton game (which wasn't a great cameo) and he's disappeared again from the matchday squad.

I'd go... 

Gauci, 

Ned, Carlos, Pau, Maatsen

Buendia, Onana, Barkley, JJ

Bailey, Duran

I don't want us losing any match. If we can get 2 or 3 ahead then we can bring off the likes of Pau, Onana & Bailey. 

We've seen before, chucking out a fully rotated team is a risk and if we can score 3 or 4 again tonight, it will breed further confidence into this squad. 

I’ll be in with the Wycombe fans as I live down here and my mate is a STH there so got me a ticket. Weather has been dreadful last 48 hours but game should be ok.

Please, everyone who’s going let’s treat Adams Park and the Wycombe fans with respect unlike SHA a few weeks ago (see my post in the SHA thread for further info) 

• Like 1