Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah pretty much what I think we'll see. I know Ramsey dosen't play at CM anymore but his first two years of prem football were central so I imagine he'll be o.k against mid table league one.

Think Cash will return for this at RB, might even play him further forward.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, I think a lot of people expecting to see Bogarde in midfield is a bit premature, I think CB is more likely

And I can't imagine we risk either Tielemans or Onana in this one a week before Bayern, 60' for Ramsey in midfield might do him good, though with McGinn missing too, Maybe he's also benched for Wycombe

I think we would more likely see Kane Taylor, or even Borland in central midfield than Ramsey, but Bogard and Barkley most probable, central midfield is Bogarde's best position, if Emery trusts him to do a job at Premier League level out of position, then I'm sure he'd trust him to do a job against League One opposition in a role he's much more familiar with

Might depend on whether we want to give Kosta a game and whether Swinkels gets a start, if both those thing happen, then for sure Bogarde more likely to play CM, unless we were prepared to play both him and Swinkels in central defence

I think team will be something like Gauci, Kosta, Carlos, Swinkels, Maatsen, Bogarde, Barkley, Buendia, Young, Philogene, and Duran, if Phiogene isn't availabe then maybe one of Jimoh, Patterson, or Broggio could possibly come in, unless Emery feels Bailey and or Ramsey need game tme after their injuries, if so they could start, hopefully help us win the game with time to spare, and then bring on a few academy players

• Like 2

----------------------------------Gauci-------------------------------

Nedeljkovic-------Carlos-----Bogarde-----Maatsen

------------------------Barkly-----Borland--------------------

Philogene---------------Buendia----------------Ramsey

------------------------------Rogers-----------------------------

Rogers can play upfront. Ramsey needs his minutes to keep recovering from last year. Bogarde is actually very good as CB. Don't think this will be easy at all. We need to be ready to pounce with top players if it's starting to look like we can't cope. We were smashed by Columbus Crew last summer, and British League One and MLS aren't dissimilar. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

That's interesting with Bogarde, he's been playing at a higher level out of position, he seemingly won't get a gamein his best position unless there's 3 injuries there. Do we gain anything with him playing at DM against wycombe? I'd like to think Ned gets the nod at RB, he has played well enough there and we're going to need him to play some minutes at RB before the seasons out. 

Definitely love to see a 3/4 line of Philogene, Buendia and Young play together. 

@useless how far behind philogene do you see Jimoh, Patterson or Brogio in terms of development?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Bogarde at LCB is asking a lot surely, even if he is versatlie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Bogarde at LCB is asking a lot surely, even if he is versatlie.

It's fanciful. He impressed me at CB against Leipzig last summer, when he often seemed to be drifting left and stopping balls, but you're right. It may also just be a needless complication. I think this could be tricky. We have the firepower to beat Wycombe obviously, but that's not really the issue. It's more does our B-squad?

Jimoh, Patterson, and Broggio are far behind Philogene in terms of development as non of them have even played any first team football yet, Broggioa and Jimoh are only seventeen, but all three have been training with our first team and are more or less a similar level to Philogene as he was when their age, as long as the team is strong in general and not full of inexperienced players like that then I think one or two of them could do a job

Kadan Young probably the academy player most likely to get game time, maybe he will even get a start, for the others there are a lot of ifs, on one hand capable, but on the other they might not even make the squad, I think will depend to what extent Emery will want to rest some of the more important players, if he decides to put them on the bench just in case we need to rescue a point, then obviously that leaves less room for academy players

And by academy players that's not counting the likes of Bogarde, Swinkels, and Kosta, as they've been part of the first team squad, I think there's a good chance we will see those, maybe there's an element of risk with Swinkels, but as someone who we've had to have on the first team bench, it's possible that we will want to see how he does against first team opposition in a competitive game, although with Tyrone Mings on the way back maybe that isn't so urgent now, but still would be good to give a game, maybe help him get a loan in January

Torres clearly on the beach, so he won't be there. The other players who haven't missed a minute are Martinez, Konsa, Rogers and Tielemans, so I'd assume most or all of them will also be getting the night off. Watkins, Digne and Onana have played approx 350 mins so presumably also due for a break though may be on the bench. 

I'd go as strong as possible outside of those absences, however. 

From memory he doesn't go too weak that often. Even against Stevenage we had plenty of first teamers around.

I'd like to see plenty of rotation though.

It's games at the ends of the spectrum you really want McGinn for, it's quite funny. I'd want him starting both this and Bayern. Most of the other matches I could see him getting lost in the shuffle.

Gauci

Ned, Carlos, Swinkels, Maatsen

K. Young, Barkley, Bogarde, Ramsey

Duran, Buendia

• Like 2

Rest completely; Martinez, Konsa, Torres, Digne, Tielemans, Onana, Watkins.

Substitutes (if required); Ramsey, Rogers

With that in mind, I'd go -

Gauci,

Kosta, Carlos, Mings, Maatsen,

Cash, Barkley, Kamara, Bailey,

Buendia,   

Duran

Imaaagine...😍

I know neither will be playing, but I've missed typing their names in these line ups. I'm guessing it will be a couple of the youngsters, Swinkels / Bogarde / Young.

Hate making wholesale changes as I think it can really affect the performance, but with the games coming up, I don't think we have a choice.

I'd like to think we'd still have enough quality (especially in the top half of the pitch), so I'll go 1-3, Buendia and a brace from big Jhon.

On 21/09/2024 at 21:16, StewieGriffin said:

Gauci

Ned, Carlos, Swinkels, Maatsen

Barkley Bogarde

Philogene Buendia Young 

Duran

0-3

I like it.  Would start Bailey for Young though, needs to get some mins in after the injury.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Rogers can play upfront. Ramsey needs his minutes to keep recovering from last year. Bogarde is actually very good as CB. Don't think this will be easy at all. We need to be ready to pounce with top players if it's starting to look like we can't cope. We were smashed by Columbus Crew last summer, and British League One and MLS aren't dissimilar. 

No chance I'd risk Rogers in this game. He's far too important to us. 

• Like 1

On 21/09/2024 at 14:26, ferguson1 said:

Gauci

Nedeljovic       Carlos       Swinkels       Maatsen

Bogarde     Barkley

Bailey                                  Ramsey

Buendia 

Duran

Subs:  Olsen, Cash, Digne, Konsa, Pau, Kamara, Onana, Young, Watkins

I’m guessing Philogene will remain out. Bit early for Mings but hoping Kamara may make the bench.

Edit - can’t see McGinn making the bench after coming off today. Onana or Tielemans to replace him. 

I’d be still looking to start the team above but if possible give complete rest to Martinez, Konsa, Pau, Digne, Tielemans, Onana, McGinn, Rogers and Watkins. Just can’t see Philogene starting either as he hasn’t made the bench for the last couple. 

Expect to see about 7 changes to the side that started against Wolves for this game. I'd probably change the whole team if Mings, Kamara, Philogene and Cash were available but I'm guessing they're not.

Gauci

Nedeljkovic Carlos Torres Maatsen

Onana Barkley

Bailey Buendia Ramsey

Duran

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I agree Roger’s could play up front but he’s played every minute of our PL games so far and I think Duran has more than earned a start, I wouldn’t even have Roger’s and Ollie on the bench!

• Like 1