Champions League - League Phase 2024/25

alreadyexists

An interesting point made by the Football Rankings twitter (x) guy, likely to only be 10 points needed to get to the knockout phase.

I gather it’s seeded then so the higher up you finish the lower ranking team you play on the knock out round?

Let’s go for 16 points though obviously! 

Edited by alreadyexists
Updated title

4 hours ago, limpid said:

I'll move this from forum to forum through the group stages. I'm not allowing it in the VillaTalk forum as the last one descended into discussions about individual games and tickets.

Thanks Limpid, apologies for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

An interesting point made by the Football Rankings twitter (x) guy, likely to only be 10 points needed to get to the knockout phase.

I gather it’s seeded then so the higher up you finish the lower ranking team you play on the knock out round?

Let’s go for 16 points though obviously! 

I'd be very surprised if it was as high as 10.

I honestly think 8 will be enough.

10 will probably be like the fabled 40 point mark in the premier league. It's what everyone aims for but is rarely what is actually needed.

Obviously it's very hard to tell at this stage

• Like 1

If the Premier League is used to estimate points needed for top 8 and top 24 in the CL League Phase, I get the following results:

Top 24 would be about the same as being 14th in the Premier League, and historically you need 1.1/1.2 points per match to get it. With 8 matches that’s about 9-10 points.

Top 8 would be somewhere between 4th and 5th in Premier League, historically that’s somewhere between 1.75 to 2.0 points per match, with 8 matches that is between 14-16 points.

Two more wins and we most likely get into the knockout phase, and if we could win an additional two games we are in contention for top 8.

According to the 'Super Computer', we're due to finish 7th!! Not that I give much weight to that kind of information!

Working on a more realistic 10-15pts for Playoffs and 16pts+ for automatic qualification;

We need three wins and a draw minimum;

Wins vs Young Boys ✅️ Bologna (H) and Celtic (H) and draw against Brugge (A) means qualification.

To qualify automatically, we probably need to turn Brugge into a victory, with further wins against Monaco (A) and one draw from the trickier games vs Bayern (H), Juventus (H) or RB Leipzig (A). Think our greatest chance is Juventus considering home advantage.

Enjoy the ride...

• Like 2

I keep looking at results from other teams we've got to play (like Celtic) and for a second start thinking 'damn, we could have done with them drawing there', before coming to my senses and remembering that it's now a 36 team league, and it matters only tangentially how our opponents have done elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On that tangent, Bayern, Celtic amd Juve have won, Bologna drew, Brugge and obviously Young Boys lost. Monaco (v Barca) and Leipzig (v A.Madrid) tonight.

Bayern at home 2 weeks yesterday up next.

Then Bologna at home and Brugge away end of October/start of Nov. And then we'll already be half way through.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Have to admit that I thought the League Phase was a stupid idea when it was first revealed but I already think it's a much better format.

It's deffo better for clubs like us, we have more chance of progressing, and should be fewer pointless games 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â