Champions League 2024/25

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Tough game I reckon tomorrow even if they aren't the Bologna that qualified for the CL. If we can get three points we'd only need 3 more points from the rest of our games for the playoffs surely?

A game we should be winning at home, they are not in a particular good run of form and have lost key players plus their manager from last season.  

32 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

If Samuel Iling-Junior scores against us he should celebrate it

I thought there was a rule in place and he wouldn't be eligible to play against his parent club? 

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Tough game I reckon tomorrow even if they aren't the Bologna that qualified for the CL. If we can get three points we'd only need 3 more points from the rest of our games for the playoffs surely?

You won't get 11 points and go out at the league stage. Win tomorrow night and we're effectively through to the playoffs. Maybe a draw against Celtic to make sure. Haha. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

No rule in the UCL 

There may or may not be a rule as in the Premier League but I cannot believe we do not insert a clause in the loan contract that does not allow him to play against his parent club (us) 😀

If we win tonight, and are effectively through to the playoffs minimum, there's a bit of a double edged sword as to whether we go all out in the remaining 5 games to secure a top 8 place, and bypass the playoff. Or take our foot off the gas in our remaining league games and rotate, and put all our energy into the premier league. We'll likely continue to go for it, but the priority is the league according to the manager and players. 

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If we win tonight, and are effectively through to the playoffs minimum, there's a bit of a double edged sword as to whether we go all out in the remaining 5 games to secure a top 8 place, and bypass the playoff. Or take our foot off the gas in our remaining league games and rotate, and put all our energy into the premier league. We'll likely continue to go for it, but the priority is the league according to the manager and players. 

I wouldn't head down tonight if I was you! 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

defo aim for the top 8 i say. but win tomorrow, we would only need another 6 pts to basically guarantee top 8. if we consider celtic to be 3 of those, we just need 1 win out of juve, leipzig, brugge or monaco. 4pts from those just to be safe. totally doable.

• Like 3

After the start we’ve made, Unai will be aiming for top 8 I’m sure of it. Avoiding playoff games and facing ‘weaker’ opponents will be the preferred route. It may not work out like that of course, and I’m expecting we’ll be in the top 16 realistically - which is still amazing. 

Will we win the league? Will we win all 8 matches? Will we concede no goals in doing so? These sorts of questions need to be asked at this point.

We will definitely be looking at top 8 now with the play-offs already virtually confirmed, but doesn't finishing as high as possible actually help in theory with effective seeding in the knockout rounds that is already pre-determined in a sense?

A point from our next 5 games will be enough to make the knockout stages. We should be aiming to make top 8 though really now. Goal difference might be significant as plenty of teams are running up scores against the minnows but we continue to keep winning with clean sheets like we are then it won't matter.

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Will we win the league? Will we win all 8 matches? Will we concede no goals in doing so? These sorts of questions need to be asked at this point.

We will definitely be looking at top 8 now with the play-offs already virtually confirmed, but doesn't finishing as high as possible actually help in theory with effective seeding in the knockout rounds that is already pre-determined in a sense?

It's 8-16 that are seeded against 17-24 in a random draw.

It would be better if 8th played 24th and so on.

8 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It's 8-16 that are seeded against 17-24 in a random draw.

It would be better if 8th played 24th and so on.

No, after that in the the last 16. I believe the draw is effectively seeded in some sense.

I saw a graphic earlier, but for now I have this:

To strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final.

Here we go:

r1015134_2_1296x1296_1-1.jpg

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â