Pre-Match Thread

Topic will be automatically locked at 14:00

Kingman

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The thing with the shop on matchday is that because we have the big player arrival about an hour and a quarter before kick off, there are thousands of people at that end of the ground from around two hours before kick off. The new fan zone was packed from at least an hour and a half before kick off and a lot of the people arriving early have a look in the shop.

On matchday, if you don't want to queue for a fair while to get in and then queue for a fair while again to pay and a fair while again if you're having anything printed, I'd recommend getting there for about 12:30 for a 15:00 kick off.

Isn’t this what they’ve been trying to do for years? Get people to the area early, spending money and generally being more of a ‘day out’ experience, rather than a couple of hours in Aston before leggin’ it as quick as possible?

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Isn’t this what they’ve been trying to do for years? Get people to the area early, spending money and generally being more of a ‘day out’ experience, rather than a couple of hours in Aston before leggin’ it as quick as possible?

Yep, absolutely, and Villa Park is noticeably busier a couple of hours before matchday than it used to be - partly that's due to transport and people arriving early to get a parking spot a half mile from the stadium, but that there is now more for people to do is good. The shop on matchday's must make a fortune, but the queues 90 minutes before kick off to get in were halfway across the North Stand car park - just wanted to give the original poster a heads up!

• Like 1

I think Wolves are better than Everton and we struggled against them so it's another potential banana skin, especially with it being a local derby. 

Even so, on paper we should win. Other than Cunha and possibly Semedo (as right back is our weakest position), I'm not sure anyone else from their team gets in ours. That new signing Larsen has looked decent and they have a competitive midfield in Gomes - Andre - Lemina so we certainly shouldn't be taking them lightly. They have had a tough start to the season having played Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle so far (although 2 of those were at home) so only having 1 point reflects that rather than how bad they are.

However, they are a bottom half team nowadays and we are at home so anything less than 3 points will be disappointing. I think I'd take Bogarde out for this as he struggled last match and play either Ned or Carlos. My first match at Villa Park this season and I'm sure they'll be respect shown to Gary Shaw before the game. It would be nice to keep a rare clean sheet and score at least a couple of goals to boost the GD.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

Bet OB are not happy especially with what happenedin the Cup last season, Albion also at home 3pm. 

Just noticed this, I'm deffo driving to this one. Trains won't be pleasant

Firstly, I’m sure it’s going to be pretty emotional pre-match with Gary Shaw being on screen and no doubt a minute silence at kick off time. Hope we turn all that emotion into a convincing performance and win.

I think Emery will pretty much go with a very similar eleven to what he has already done, fitness permitting. He’ll want to keep up with the leading teams at the top and this is a great opportunity to do that. Fringe players can get a significant run out against Wycombe next week.  So for me, I would start with:

Martinez

Konsa         Carlos           Pau          Digne

Onana            Tielemans

McGinn                                     Ramsey

Rogers

Watkins

Subs:  Gauci, Nedeljkovic, Maatsen, Bogarde, Barkley, Buendia, Bailey, Philogene, Duran

Assuming Cash, Mings and Kamara still don’t make the squad?  Hopefully decent minutes given to Maatsen, Barkley, Bailey and Duran, depending on how the game plays out.

I think we’ll score, we’ll win and hopefully no injury concerns by the end.  3-1 win UTV

• Like 1

Duran must be absolutely chomping to start a game soon and in fairness he has deserved a chance. Watkins still clearly not full speed yet. Surely one for Duran to show us what he can do in 90 mins.

18 minutes ago, Radness said:

Could we maybe see a 442 with Watkins and Durán both starting?

After the Everton game, Unai did joke that he needs to try to get them both in a team. Just not sure he'd risk that in a game like this. Would love to see it though

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Start Duran, rest Ollie, play Ollie against Wycombe, score goals, gain confidence, all is good ...... simples !

Just so we’re clear Ollie scored 2 in the last league game. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Just so we’re clear Ollie scored 2 in the last league game. 

Yeah he has to start. I’d start Duran against Wycombe and tell him to destroy them. 

• Like 1

As much as i think Carlos is a mistake waiting to happen i'd start him in this one with Konsa RB.

That striker Wolves have Larsen looks a right handful and very physical.

I'll be worried if Pau has to deal with him seeing what happened with DCL.

The connection between JJ and Rogers is really starting to form now. I’d be building our whole attacking structure around them. 

Emi

Borgarde Konsa Pau Digne

Youri Onana

McGinn Rogers JJ

Ollie

I wonder if Bogarde might be given a break here. If so we either bring in Carlos and shove Konsa to RB or start Ned. 

I’d be happy to see Big Jhon starting up front. No doubt he’s done enough to earn a start. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â