Your All-Time Villa XI 2024

tomav84

15 hours ago, SuffolkVillan said:

lineup.png.3e4c72bfb96c1594ef84f2f0e1a369d0.png

Not easy! Have to go 4-3-3 to get Shaw, Yorke and Little in. Don't think anyone can omit Sid or God.

I would pay Chris Heck prices to watch that side

• Like 1

A lot of debate to be hard here, but the ones who go in without having to debate are Little, Cowans, McGrath, Mortimer Martinez and Billy Walker IMO

Build your team around them 

• Like 1

I think it’s easy to forget just how good a player Dwight Yorke was in his pomp for us - he was pure class. One of my fav all time players from back in the day was Draper but he didn’t do enough to be considered - took me ages to decide my XI based on skill alone and not favouritism 

• Like 1

All the the teams putting Mellberg RB are doing so because they like him. He hated playing there and wasnt very good there. Quite frankly, there is no place for him with McGrath and Laursen, no matter what era you're from.

Martinez

Walker Laursen McGrath Staunton

Grealish Barry Young

Yorke Benteke Watkins

RB is the hardest position. We just haven't had a great Premier League RB. The rest picks itself. Yorke, Benteke and Watkins are by a mile our best forwards and I couldnt leave either one of them out. No modern team without Grealish, Barry or Young can be taken seriously.

These things are always tricky, do you pick the best players or those who could play together? A midfield trio of Grealish, Barry and a young would get absolutely destroyed, only one of them played in a position remotely like that. However, all 3 are midfield players so it is legit.

18 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

These things are always tricky, do you pick the best players or those who could play together? A midfield trio of Grealish, Barry and a young would get absolutely destroyed, only one of them played in a position remotely like that. However, all 3 are midfield players so it is legit.

There’s always a bit of artistic licence with these teams. I could remove Walker and leave a back 3 and put Milner in a midfield 4 on the right with Young on the left. But then the CBs never played as a three so you disrupt that. If it was 4-4-2 then I’d remove Benteke and put Milner in. Either way it’s just a bit of fun.

Martinez

Mellberg    McGrath    Laursen      Staunton

Houghton           Barry

Milner                Grealish               Young

Angel              

Martinez

Mellberg    McGrath    Ehiogu    Staunton

Townsend         Barry

Bailey                Merson          Grealish  

Yorke  

This was really hard but in the end I like the balance here. Sorry I was unable to include Milner, Laursen, Taylor and Benteke. Bailey gets in to add pace to the balance.

Certainly not the best, & 100% not my favourites now, but at the time, I enjoyed watching all of these players.

RM was difficult to find a backup, so slammed Merson in there. Bailey probably should fit in there tbh, but he's only been decent for about one season. It's a shame that Nii Lamptey never worked out as I remember being so excited when he signed.

IMG_0217.png

Edited by Andy_10
  • Like 1

On 14/09/2024 at 01:04, Follyfoot said:

A lot of debate to be hard here, but the ones who go in without having to debate are Little, Cowans, McGrath, Mortimer Martinez and Billy Walker IMO

Build your team around them 

It shocks me how many teams don’t have Gary Shaw. Did more for our club than Gresford ever did.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â