Kingman

51 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Bayern tweeting about villa is kinda mad isn't it. 

It is. Bonkers when you sit back and think about it. I wonder what Bayern supporters talk about when they talk about Villa Park and traveling to Brum? You think they'll have plans to go and get a balti? That's what I would do if I were there. I mean, and watch Villa.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

At risk of stating the obvious, I think this match is more important in practical ways, too. Yes, it's historic. Yes, it's a spectacle. Yes, dreams are coming true, etc. etc. But I think we also need not to get destroyed. We can't afford to take a huge knock-down at this point in our season. I think it would set us back.

What's getting destroyed? 0-2 isn't getting destroyed. Even if Bayern dominate I think they'll ease off if they're 2 up as they've got a big game away to Frankfurt on Sunday where they could easily drop points if they're not on it.

It's only a group stage game, would be different mentality if it was knock out round.

Let's remember the Don knocked many of these players out in 21/22 when he was at Villareal and that was over two legs so he'll have a tactical masterplan ready, it's just a case of whether the players on the night are brave enough to execute it.

If we had Slippy or Bruce for this type of game we wouldn't cross the halfway line once so this is where it's brilliant to have a proven manager at this level as the occasion won't faze him at all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Id rather we play Konsa and Carlos, Konsa and Carlos have shown they can do a job together. Konsa can do the defensive part, just doesn't have to push to far forward.

It has to be I think.

Bogarde could properly go under and need taking off after 30 mins.

Time to show us what you're made of Diego.

Looking forward to this a lot.

It's a night for forgetting anything else and enjoying the football.

Where Bayern could really expose us is down the sides, especially the right. Konsa was very poor against Ipswich and assuming he stays there he’s up against Davies and Gnabry who will cause all sorts of issues. We’re more solid on our left side but Olise is such a tricky, quality player and started on fire there. If Sane and Coman come on later on it may require some pace from Maatsen and Ned off the bench to track their runs. 

I also think going forward our wide areas are our weak spots so far this season. Left wing was a problem for us last season and Ramsey coming back hasn’t solved it as his form has been poor. Kimmich isn’t the quickest but is such an intelligent full back, Ramsey will really need to up his level tonight. Bailey was brilliant on the right last season but hasn’t hit that level so far, hopefully he does soon. There’ll be room for him to run into on the break as Davies will be high up the pitch often.

Kane will be dangerous as usual and if he drops deep he’ll have runners in behind and he’s very good at finding them. Onana needs to not let Musiala out of his sight. 

We’ll need every single player to put in a performance tonight and given we played with such low intensity against Ipswich I’d expect us to come flying out at them. Even if everyone plays great we could still likely lose because Bayern are one of the favourites in this competition but let’s at least give a good account of ourselves. It’s the biggest match we’ve played at home in over 40 years.

• Like 1

Still think the starting eleven will be the same eleven that started at Ipswich. Time for everyone to stand up and give nine out of ten performances.

Could be one of those really mad nights where we could see a 3-3 or something close to that but whatever happens, we need to embrace it and enjoy it. I actually think the start of the evening will be quite emotional.

C’mon you Villa boys 🟣🔵

• Like 1

4.1 tonight is 300 to 1

Got my £ on it, as I am holibobs my betting app won't work. So I can't cash in early when we go 4 up. Its going to be an amazing and emotional night, for you guys that can attend. Enjoy it, these nights don't come around very often. I was lucky enough to be at our first home game 40 plus years ago.  I will have my euro shirt on watching tonight and hopefully not sat with too many Germans 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m so excited to be going to this match and witnessing the build up, hearing the anthem, experiencing the atmosphere. Just a bit scared that the actual football might be a sobering experience. It’s a Champions League free hit though right?

It’s definitely in the free hit category, nobody is expecting us to win, they are clear favourites. We might well lose and that would be fine in the grand scheme. 

However, Unai has a plan to win the game and that’s what he’ll be focused on. Big night at Villa Park, the atmosphere will be amazing (hopefully), and anything can happen. I’m certainly not betting against us. 

• Like 3