Brumstopdogs

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

But then it affects our chances against Wolves a few days after that.  Need to rotate like all the English teams in Europe do. 

Do they? What until Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City play their first games in the CL and see how much rotation they do. Very little if any. They'll play their first team.

Assuming Cash and Bailey are out and Onana is fit, then I'd go..

Martinez

Konsa   Carlos   Torres    Digne

McGinn  Onana Tielemans Ramsey

Rogers

Watkins

Not ideal playing Konsa at RB, but on paper with Cash out I think that might be the strongest and most settled option available. 

Strong start and hopefully we can get a couple of goals up by 60 then see the game out whilst conserving a bit of energy.

Then we can start utilising the squad with subs like;

Ned (for Carlos) - Konsa back at CB, Barkley for either of the central pair, Maatsen for Digne, Buendia for Rogers, JPG for McGinn and Duran for Watkins.

Basically the usual kind of subs.

Champions League though.. wow.

UTV

• Like 2

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/patrick-rahmen-young-boys-202425-tactical-analysis-tactics

For many years, the Swiss Super League has been the domain of dominance for FC Basel.

However, the giant started to struggle in 2017, which was the chance for new champions in the Alps.

BSC Young Boys, a club that has been runner-up multiple times during the years of Basel’s championships, stepped up to the task, winning six out of the seven league titles in Switzerland.

Quite an interesting scouting article though slightly out of date now.

Seems YBB like to cross - a lot, which panics me slightly.

Seems that they also defend relatively wide in general which is good for us in terms of playing through their lines

10 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

As YB is my local club and I've been to countless games, I'd like to write a short summary of what to expect for travelling fans:

Recent success: After years of struggle and always just falling short to FC Basel, YB clinched the 2017-18 Swiss Super League title, marking their first league championship in 32 years. They have now won the Swiss Super League 5 times in the last 6 years. They are regulars in Europe and routinely make it very difficult for visiting "big clubs". Notable wins against Juventus in 2018/19 (absolute limbs when Hoarau scored his second) and Man United in 2021/22. Visiting teams often struggle with the artificial pitch. They beat Galatasaray both home and away to qualify for the CL league stage. They are currently bottom of the Swiss Super League after an extremely poor start, but are not to be underestimated (as proven against Gala).

Stadion Wankdorf: Their home ground, Stadion Wankdorf, has a capacity of 32,000 and is the second-largest stadium in Switzerland. Food and beverage is very good and the urinals don't really flood much at all. I'd highly recommend getting the traditional "YB Wurst" (beef and pork sausage) with mustard, bread bun and a beer. Kebabs are also decent. The away end is situated in the corner opposite the main stand and offers a good view of the pitch. The game isn't classed as high-risk by the police, so security won't be too strict.

Style of play: YB is used to playing possession based football and are extremely quick in transition. Off the ball they press high and are vulnerable to counter attacks. Their defensive shortcomings are usually compensated by their attacking prowess (for Swiss standards). They typically play 4-2-3-1/4-2-2 with pacey wingers, target man and quick support striker behind him.

Ones to watch: Cedric Itten (some call him budget Haaland, but I think budget Giroud is more accurate), Silvere Ganvoula (tall, strong striker), Meschack Elia (technical and pacey, plays the position Diaby played for us last season), Alain Virginius (on loan from LOSC, rapid LW), Joël Monteiro (tall, awkward RW).

Fans: The BSC Young Boys Ultras as a collective are known as the “Ostkurve". I'd say they belong to the top 3 ultras sections in Switzerland, just behind FC Zurich and FC Basel. They prepare choreos with tifos and pyro for practically every match and sing for 90 mins. Most of the fans are very welcoming and not actively hostile towards away fans unless provoked unnecessarily. If you missed out on tickets in the away end and are somehow seated in sector D, I would advise against wearing Villa colours, as it may cause trouble. Before and after the match they will gather around the stadium and in the "Eleven" bar, which is typically off limits for away fans.

See you there. UTV!

Do they have a disciplinary problem?  Surprised to see they're bottom of the league... but then also noticed they've picked up 3 red cards in 6 league games :D  (Strangely, in their 10 games this season in all comps, there have been 6 red cards!).

Normally I'd say I'd be happy with a point from this (remember what happened in Warsaw) given this is all new and it's only the first game but if they're bottom of the Swiss league we really should be going there and dominating.

I fully expect the regular 11 and then changes for Wolves.

1-2 win.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Do they? What until Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City play their first games in the CL and see how much rotation they do. Very little if any. They'll play their first team.

City didn't start Dias Gvardiol Rodri Bernardo Foden at the weekend. They have enough quality players to make it look like it's always a first 11, but they are rotating already and will continue to.

Without being disrespectful to Young Boys, and there is a big possibility we could lose I think we may see a few changes. The priority to win this game right now isn't as high as the game on Saturday even if it's our first game back in so many years.

I think something like this is possible:-

Martinez

Ned Konsa Torres Maatsen

Barkley Tielemans

Philogene McGinn Rogers

Duran 

That's not too many changes still mind you. 

1 hour ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Stadion Wankdorf: Their home ground, Stadion Wankdorf, has a capacity of 32,000 and is the second-largest stadium in Switzerland. Food and beverage is very good and the urinals don't really flood much at all. I'd highly recommend getting the traditional "YB Wurst" (beef and pork sausage) with mustard, bread bun and a beer.

You're recommending we all go to Switzerland to try Young Boys' sausage? 

Edited by Jareth
  • Haha 2

What a great moment. Looking back at me in school, I'd never have believed you if you told me I'd be in my late 40's when we actually qualified for the champions league. Here we are. All excited a day before and arranging an early finish tomorrow to get in front of a screen somewhere. Bloody great innit. Be interesting to see the line up but 3 points would be such a great start. UTV

• Like 3