Brumstopdogs

Was looking at more recent YB's matches. Here's a find from August. Utter destruction for Printse-Nendaz's against Young Boys in the Swiss Cup. Poor keeper! But Printse-Nendaz is in the fifth tier of the Swiss football system -- and I believe they're amateurs. I gather this match was a huge thrill for Printse-Nendaz supporters, and they're actually proud of the match. Testament to a good football system, really. What a thrill it must have been for the amateur players -- even if it was a bit embarrassing. Sort of like if Villa played Kiddy and Kiddy were having a bad day?

Screenshot2024-09-14at7_51_46PM.png.73b41d958525ca4b09b7e53dd00045d9.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Some changes here surely as that’s what Emery wanted a strong squad for?  Can see Carlos, Maatsen, Barkley, Duran getting decent minutes.

As posted earlier in this thread, we should have enough to get a positive result but their artificial pitch worries me somewhat. Making the game more of a leveller and possible injury concerns. 

Martinez

Ned     Carlos    Pau     Maatsen

Onana    Barkley 

McGinn                      Ramsey

Rogers

Duran

Subs: Gauci, Bogarde, Digne, Konsa, Swinkels, Tielemans, Philogene, Buendia, Watkins 

Assume Cash, Bailey, Kamara and Mings won’t make this one. Hoping for a winning start obviously but perhaps a draw wouldn’t be a bad result to get us off and running in the Champions League. Still seems weird saying it. 

Edited by ferguson1

I wonder is there a way to get both Ollie and Big John starting together? 

Without the outlet of Bailey could we move Ollie on to the left wing? 

Emi

Bogarde Konsa Pau Digne

Onana Tielemans

McGinn Rogers Watkins

Duran

Or we rest Ollie and start JJ on the left. 

8 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Kosta         Konsa        Torres          Maatsen

Mcginn      Onana       Tielemans     Ramsey

Rogers        Duran 

I would go this. I think Ollie will start and to be fair, he fired us here last season and will want to play the first champions league game! Case for Barkley to start too. 

• Like 2

Don't **** with the lineup unless there's an injury or illness concern. The idea of doing some kind of experimental squad for this baffles me. Why would we ever want to make slashing changes to our lineup on our first European Cup outing in half a century after a match three days before? There's so little time. I so hope the boys get a chance to at least spend a couple hours on the artificial pitch per @Pongo Waring's Indy article and Pep's strategy. Oh, but don't we want to be nice and fair to Duran or whoever and start him? No, this is a moment for cold-minded squad management, not a time to dole out gold-star stickers for great school work. There will be time for that. Young Boys is not the right occasion.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Our first match in the 'new' champions league. First time back in this competition for approx 40 years and people want us to make rotations? 

Unai will rightly play the strongest team we have

But then it affects our chances against Wolves a few days after that.  Need to rotate like all the English teams in Europe do. 

Young Boys are regulars in Europe and have a track record of giving bigger teams a bloody nose so we need to play a strong/experienced team.

I'd like SJM to sit a game out but not this one...

Martinez

Konsa  Carlos  Pau  Maatsen (more recent CL experience)

Onana  Barkley

SJM  Tielemans  Rogers

Watkins

With Duran, Ramsey, JPB, Ned et al coming off the bench if we need more oomph.