Fan Loyalty

TRO

I find the subject quite interesting, but at the same time Contentious too.

Just a few thoughts, I have on the subject.

We all seem intent on not engaging in a "I'm a better fan than you syndrome"....yet in a latent sense, it exists.

I don't have any hard and fast opinions on this, but willing to be open in my thoughts and open to other opinions.

I am a season Ticket Holder, who had a break for a few seasons, just after Martin O'Neills era, so I feel lucky I was able to get back on the horse, and involve myself back in the renewal programme. I don't necessarily feel I have a right to my next season ticket anymore that other folk who are on the waiting list, and may have done the same as me.....I feel fortunate.

When I managed to get a ticket for the European Cup final in Rotterdam, again, I felt fortunate, because I never went to any of the away games in Europe, I couldn't afford the time away from work.

I am well aware over the years of Villa Fans, who have baulked at turning up for cup games to lower league teams, so selective supporting has always been around.

Now, I am retired, I would like to go to some domestic away games,but it seems tickets are like Rocking horse Manure, and are more accessible to folk who go regularly, I get that, but doesn't help me.....just like my fortunate position doesn't help enthusiastic fans who can't get a season ticket.

I think the loyalty thing has many twists and turns, and basically comes down to our own interpretations and circumstances of it...and how we relate it to our own personal experiences of it. I guess for a large part the club do reward it by having season tickets in the first place....They could create a one line Auction for every game, but I guess that would be cumbersome, but profitable.

Am I a loyal fan?, yes sort of......Am I a selective fan too?, yes sort of.....Do I love the club? yes.....Does the club love me?, most unlikely......Do I care about that?  No because the expectation is too high to harbour.

I am sure all our fans have an opinion on what " Fan loyalty" really means and the abstract that it manifests.....I would guess, the opinions will be diverse.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If you don't know what DHUTWU means, you display zero loyalty.

I would fail that loyalty test.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Does a win make you happy and you try and read and watch as much about the game as possible.

Does a defeat annoy to the point you don't do any of the above.  Get in a bad mood for a for a while until the next game comes around.

If yes you are a loyal fan going to matches and buying stuff is irrelevant.

Yes, to the first line and the second line, prompts me to study the game to see WHY we lost.

30 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Does a win make you happy and you try and read and watch as much about the game as possible.

Does a defeat annoy to the point you don't do any of the above.  Get in a bad mood for a for a while until the next game comes around.

Hello Mrs withes_shin, I told you not to tell anyone how I react after games

Edited by withes_shin
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Hello Mrs withes_shin, I told you not to tell anyone how I react after games

Daffy Duck excited.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Daffy Duck excited.gif

Only if we win, or sometimes a draw, thinking about it..................even after loss!!

Went to my first game in 1980, had my first season ticket early nineties, gave it up, because of cost early 2000's.

I now have a season ticket again, have had since the championship days. But I don't buy merchandise, don't buy food and drink at the Villa - not since they took away the Holte Suite as part of my season ticket privileges.

But I'm still loyal to the Villa. (I think, unless discussions on this topic prove I'm not)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I spend 5 hours a day on Villatalk.  Therefore i am extremely loyal and/or extremely sad, and definitely a better fan than those who only spend a paltry 1 hour a day in ON TOPIC!

6 hours a day and no gold lion.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I definitely get moods shifted by our results. You can see it in my grumpy posts after and sometimes during a loss. That's if I can even be arsed to interact and be reminded of the fact we lost every second.

Polar opposite when we win.

But I don't think that makes me a better fan then someone who can maintain a more measured and pragmatic response.

It's a tricky one. Ultimately, we're all fans in our own way, and (most) of the people here all ultimately want us to win the league. And we all have different views on how that should be achieved. 

I can and do go to games, but again I don't think that makes me a better fan than someone who can't for whatever the many personal reasons there may be that get in the way. Money, time, health, family,  etc.

Loyalty....its about being a fan (however you display it) through thick and thin. It's not about abandoning the club at its lowest ebb when its losing, and its definitely not about supporting us because we signed your favorite player.

Loyalty is a weird one, and I've seen many an argument/fight over it.

You're either Villa or you ain't, my Dad was Villa, I'm Villa and now my son is Villa. 

Me and my son are only members as can't get season tickets. We went to every home game last season (except Caraboo) and managed to get Brighton away too.

This season we are planning the same but this time without any domestic cups as the general increases and UCL prices have made it impossible to do it all. It cost a fortune last season and I've already worked out how much this season will cost (with just 4 UCL games) and it's already approx £300 more than last season. Chuck a few more UCL games in there and I'll be looking at £600 or £700 more. 

Does this make me loyal? No

It's my time with my son and that makes it special, which is way more important

• Like 3

I haven't seen a live league game in over 13 years. I'd love to get down for the odd game this season but equally I have a tight idea of value for money. If somethings too expensive I'm not putting big chunks of my leisure money into one activity. I'm not doing too badly luckily but 60 quid plus for live sport, cup final aside is an obscenity I will never agree with so almost certainly will be maintaining my support from the sofa watching on the telly. I'm invested every week, so in that sense I feel loyal, but I'm no sucker. There are other things in life and sinking maybe 100 quid on one day, definitely more if taking a partner or friend, is grotesque. For me anyway.

• Like 3

I've been a Villa fan since I was 5 or 6. I remember it clearly. In the playground and we're all huddled together, my friend asks who I support. Well my Dad is a Baggies fan so I didn't know much else at that age about the other teams, so before I answered I asked him the question. He said Villa, I said me too! The rest is history. 35 years I've been a fan, watching all the live games on TV, buying the shirt when I can, being on the forums and following on social media etc.. I've only ever been to 1 Villa game and that was against Notts County in the cup when I was about 13. Unfortunately as I got older at school non of my friends supported Villa, non of my family did - so I never went to the games. Typically now I'm older and can make the choice of going on my own, money dictates that I can't.

I'd like to think I get as happy when we win and as unhappy when we lose as much as those who go to the games each week. Just because I'm not present in the ground it doesn't diminish my support.. and it really irks me when there are people who get on their high horse about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GamingDad said:

I've been a Villa fan since I was 5 or 6. I remember it clearly. In the playground and we're all huddled together, my friend asks who I support. Well my Dad is a Baggies fan so I didn't know much else at that age about the other teams, so before I answered I asked him the question. He said Villa, I said me too! The rest is history. 35 years I've been a fan, watching all the live games on TV, buying the shirt when I can, being on the forums and following on social media etc.. I've only ever been to 1 Villa game and that was against Notts County in the cup when I was about 13. Unfortunately as I got older at school non of my friends supported Villa, non of my family did - so I never went to the games. Typically now I'm older and can make the choice of going on my own, money dictates that I can't.

I'd like to think I get as happy when we win and as unhappy when we lose as much as those who go to the games each week. Just because I'm not present in the ground it doesn't diminish my support.. and it really irks me when there are people who get on their high horse about it.

That's risky, what if he had said Blues

• Haha 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â