Gary Shaw

rjw63

On 10/09/2024 at 11:47, withes_shin said:

Only my opinion, but I truly believe if Gary Shaw hadn't got injured at such a young age he would have been an England regular - which in turn would mean that Gary Lineker wouldn't have the amount of England caps or goals.

Bit of a sliding doors moment for Gary Lineker the injury to Gary Shaw.

I have said the same thing as you for years.

Our Gary was twice the player 👍🏻

• Like 3

Shawsey was a class act on the pitch.  He was far superior to Linekar all over the pitch.  Villa fans raved about the ball from Dougie for Ollie’s goal at Sheffield.  Have a look a Shawsey’s to Dennis Mortimer against Liverpool in 80-81.  What about how he played Morley in against Everton?  Gary was a top draw finisher and definitely would be worth £100 million at a canter today.  
I am really hoping and praying he pulls through both as a Villa fan and a mate🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

Shawsey was a class act on the pitch.  He was far superior to Linekar all over the pitch.  Villa fans raved about the ball from Dougie for Ollie’s goal at Sheffield.  Have a look a Shawsey’s to Dennis Mortimer against Liverpool in 80-81.  What about how he played Morley in against Everton?  Gary was a top draw finisher and definitely would be worth £100 million at a canter today.  
I am really hoping and praying he pulls through both as a Villa fan and a mate🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Absolutley  bang on, with everything you say. Paul is our best ever player, but Gary is my favourite all time Villa player.

Unrivalled first touch - even taking into account the current era.

I would say £100 mill would be a snip for someone of Gary’s ability in todays market.

I remember travelling to Shrewsbury to watch him play - quite sad really.

I’ve never really forgiven Graham Taylor for giving him 45 mins on the right side of midfield against Ipswich ( I believe ) before hauling him off at half time - pretty much ended his career at the club ☹️

Hat-trick for the Shrews in 4 and a half minutes!!!   Shawsey was deadly in the box and couldn’t half finish outside of it.  Taylor didn’t like Gaz and if you read Garry Thompson’s book he told David Platt to keep away from them both!!! 

1 hour ago, AVFCGB said:

Hat-trick for the Shrews in 4 and a half minutes!!!   Shawsey was deadly in the box and couldn’t half finish outside of it.  Taylor didn’t like Gaz and if you read Garry Thompson’s book he told David Platt to keep away from them both!!! 

I can remember the one game Shaw started for Taylor. He still had his touch but he couid barely move. Daley came in next game and he was sensational. 

Hard to say with Linekar. Shaw was technically superior but didn't have Linekars pace. Both could have been played together but Shaw never got a look in for England which would never have happened today.

48 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I can remember the one game Shaw started for Taylor. He still had his touch but he couid barely move. Daley came in next game and he was sensational. 

Hard to say with Linekar. Shaw was technically superior but didn't have Linekars pace. Both could have been played together but Shaw never got a look in for England which would never have happened today.

Have a look at the record books and see how many of our 80-82 team got full england caps.

Disgustingly overlooked.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I have said the same thing as you for years.

Our Gary was twice the player 👍🏻

I wouldn't say he would have got as many goals as GL, he wasn't that "Sniffer" like forward. More in the Peter Beardsley kind of forward. And, let's me honest, Beardsley was some player.

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I wouldn't say he would have got as many goals as GL, he wasn't that "Sniffer" like forward. More in the Peter Beardsley kind of forward. And, let's me honest, Beardsley was some player.

Genuinely think you are underestimating Gary’s goalscoring ability. I believe he was 20  per season if he had a full career that was not blighted by injuries.

Such a sweet striker of the ball - and could score so many types of goals too 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Genuinely think you are underestimating Gary’s goalscoring ability. I believe he was 20  per season if he had a full career that was not blighted by injuries.

Such a sweet striker of the ball - and could score so many types of goals too 👍🏻

Yes he was! Right, left, head, he had the lot!  Younger Villa fans do not realise how good he was.  Yes the tackle by Bowyer did for him but don’t forget the ulcer in his knee was missed.  He was on the way to being world class.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I "liked" your comment, hope you don't confuse it with liking the fact that our 80 - 82 team were overlooked at international level! .....that single fact is shocking though. It would never happen these days. Or would it?....I often wonder if we suddenly had the same success, Kane and McGuire would still get picked.....

I recall Sir Brian coming on as a sub against Wales in a Home International match in the mid 70's, played a blinder and I dont think he was ever picked again.....

I loved watching Gary Shaw play, such a sad ending to his career cut short by injuries. I wonder if he had those injuries today modern medicine and treatment might have extended his career?

I can't quite remember the details but I've heard (or read) him speaking about this - by today's standards, it would have been a relatively simple injury to overcome. 

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

I don’t think Gary had the pace in a straight sprint but he was devastating over the first couple of yards which was his strength along with his technical ability. The last time I saw him was after a game when he was working as a club ambassador in the pub a few years ago, still a good looking lad, lock up your daughters!!! Please get well Gary we have enough HEITS for now. UTV!!!!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

Yes he was! Right, left, head, he had the lot!  Younger Villa fans do not realise how good he was.  Yes the tackle by Bowyer did for him but don’t forget the ulcer in his knee was missed.  He was on the way to being world class.  

100 % agree, world class was not beyond his abilities.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â