Gary Shaw

rjw63

Would've been one of our greatest players but for injury (talking Cowans/McGrath level) but of course still part of our glorious early 80s period.

Given he's only 63 now he could've easily played up to the late 90s so shows how much of his career was taken away by injury.

Hopefully he can pull through this medical episode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Would've been one of our greatest players but for injury (talking Cowans/McGrath level) but of course still part of our glorious early 80s period.

Given he's only 63 now he could've easily played up to the late 90s so shows how much of his career was taken away by injury.

Hopefully he can pull through this medical episode.

Yes pfa young player of the year 81. Best young player in Europe 82. Then that career endimh injury at Forest in 83 at the age of 22.  Who knows what he might hsve been 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would have loved to see Gary play before he got injured. Proper Villa legend... so good even Maradona wanted his shirt. Obviously like everyone else I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's cross our fingers and wish him a complete recovery. For those of us with a couple of grey hairs, or inherently follicaly challenged remember Gary Shaw as one of the finest footballer's to wear claret and blue. That silky two touch that would guide the ball to the toes of the fleet - footed Tony Morley, I can picture it now, the hallmark of that great side. What a privilege!

One of my Favourites, rarely got caught in possession, just a fab forward, with a good striker skill.

Hope he recovers well.

• Like 3

Only my opinion, but I truly believe if Gary Shaw hadn't got injured at such a young age he would have been an England regular - which in turn would mean that Gary Lineker wouldn't have the amount of England caps or goals.

Bit of a sliding doors moment for Gary Lineker the injury to Gary Shaw.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Only my opinion, but I truly believe if Gary Shaw hadn't got injured at such a young age he would have been an England regular - which in turn would mean that Gary Lineker wouldn't have the amount of England caps or goals.

I've often thought the same, although Shaw was a different kind of striker, more in the style of a Dalgliesh than the pacey, run in behind type Lineker was,  there might have been roles for bnoth of them but England managers back then seemed particularly averse to selecting Villa players even as squad players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

One of my Favourites, rarely got caught in possession, just a fab forward, with a good striker skill.

Hope he recovers well.

I'm sure he made his debut at Bristol City in the FA Cup. I was there, and that's the first time I heard his name. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm that or not.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm sure he made his debut at Bristol City in the FA Cup. I was there, and that's the first time I heard his name. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm that, or not.

That is correct, I checked my book, I wasn't there

Edited by TDR V2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm sure he made his debut at Bristol City in the FA Cup. I was there, and that's the first time I heard his name. I'm sure someone on here will be able to confirm that or not.

Not the FA Cup. The league. 26th of August 1978, 3rd league game of the season away to Bristol City, came on as a sub (for Gary Shelton) and we lost 1-0.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Where is the speculation coming from? And yes, hopefully inaccurate. 

Facebook commentors.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Unless confirmed don't even post that.

You're right.

Deleted.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, withes_shin said:

Trust me, that's not only your opinion. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

Gary out of induced coma now I'm told. A little bit of good news then

I shared this great news on another Villa forum last night and somebody said it wasn't true according to their friend who had visited him last night.

Is it possible to provide any more details?

I worked with Gary at Villa and am desperate to know whether he has or hasn't improved.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â