Gary Shaw

rjw63

The world is a cruel place, what a loss to all the Villa family and of course his own family

You gave us moments of pure joy, heights we had never seen and all with that smile on your face. 

R.I.P Gary   a true   HEITS and you leave us with a future for the fans.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

It feels like as a club we have lost too many former players before their time but for me, this one hits hard.

I really got hooked on supporting Villa at around 11-12 years old, at the time when Gary was on the verge of achieving every boyhood Villa fan’s dream. 

He was only 8 years older than me and I feel like I’ve got a whole lot of life still to live. Never met him personally but have heard and read nothing but good words about him. 

The timing is poignant too. Imagine how proud he’d have felt as we lined up against Bayern Munich in 2 week’s time. 

Heart-wrenching. 

ditto

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Him, Spink or Williams. I know Spink was a sub, but he virtually played the whole game. 

He was younger than both and he was only 19/20 when we won the league in 81 and he must hsve scored neatly 20 goals that season. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He was younger than both and he was only 19/20 when we won the league in 81 and he must hsve scored neatly 20 goals that season. 

I hardly missed a game, aside from the the first few due to three months detention centre. 

He was a pleasure to watch, so easy on the eye. Him and Withe, the proverbial salt and pepper. One all hustle and bustle, effectively, I may add. The other, a silky, smooth operator. That first touch, when pitches weren't the snooker tables they are today. Such a shame, Paul, especially for us that watched him in the flesh. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 3

Too young to have seen Gary play. I stood next to him once, watching an Aston Villa “all star” team, that’s about as much as I can offer in lieu of having not watched him play for us.

I doubt there will be many, if any, local lads who go on to achieve what he did, with Villa. 

Rest in peace, Gary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

Brian Little has said on X "Gave Shawsy my number 8 shirt when I retired...he took it to another level...RIP. xx"  A fitting tribute from one Villa legend to another. 

That is some quote from Brian - and in all fairness, he was just being honest. Gary was that good.

• Like 2

Just woken up to this news and is a somber feeling.

Growing up in Australia I never had the opportunity to watch Gary live, it was always highlights and interviews. As a young footballer I had many idols and Gary was one of them and still remember pretending to be him when playing with friends.

It's a sad day, Gary is a Villa legend. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

• Like 2

I have written elsewhere that Gary was truly ‘one of our own’ but in some ways he was much more than that, he was ‘one of us’. He was born and lived in Kingshurst where I bought my first house up the road from where I lived as a teenager in Tile Cross. Although Kingshurst is officially in Solihull the lads round there considered themselves Brummies. Gary was the only Brummie in our European Cup winning team and as John references in Gabby’s comments, I am sure loads of local lads were inspired by him - he really was the ‘golden boy’. R.I.P. Gary 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I have written elsewhere that Gary was truly ‘one of our own’ but in some ways he was much more than that, he was ‘one of us’. He was born and lived in Kingshurst where I bought my first house up the road from where I lived as a teenager in Tile Cross. Although Kingshurst is officially in Solihull the lads round there considered themselves Brummies. Gary was the only Brummie in our European Cup winning team and as John references Gabby’s comments, I am sure loads of local lads were inspired by him - he really was the ‘golden boy’. R.I.P. Gary 

Local lad like me , 50/50 blues and  villa area but when push come to shove we're all cut from the same cloth. 

When people pass its a stark reminder to us all that life has an end and only the few make history, Gary was fortunate enough be one of those few, RIP Gary, we're all very lucky to have sat in the sunlight you gave out. 

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â