The Great Right Back Conundrum

Delphinho123

Given the amount we’re all talking about it, thought I’d start a thread on it. It appears to be our Achilles heal at the moment.

Bogarde was poor yesterday, but understandable given it’s his debut and playing out of position.

Cash I think is rash and was clearly a weak link for the last season.

Nedelkovic doesn’t seem ready? Perhaps unfair? Still so young.

So what do you do, play one of the above? Move Konsa over there and bring Carlos in?

We haven’t kept a clean sheet yet this season and I’m of the persuasion that we need to score at least 2 to win every match at the moment (we’re not doing a bad job of that).

It’s a problem. It was a problem last season and it hasn’t been fixed in the summer.

Talk to me. I’m here to hear. 

• Like 3

I think it depends on the game, but honestly I would like to continue to try and bed in Bogarde & Kosta especially in "easier games" (on paper). I like that we're giving chances to our younger players.

In harder games I would play Konsa there and go with 3 CBs and an asymmetrical defensive line. We can then rotate Digne and Maatsen for aggression down the left flank.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

I think the expectation is that Mings comes back plus Carlos so Konsa can become that option at RB. Needs addressing longer term though.

• Like 1

While not perfect we have two quality left backs, can’t we play one at right back for a bit.  

Yes the wrong foot but how to play the role and positioning will be intuitive.  

Inverted wingers are a thing so why not full backs.  

I’m not saying it’s ideal but experience and knowledge of the full back position is surely better than inexperience and/or CB experience.  

To be honest I don’t think it’s been as bad as some on here, it’s not been great but not been a disaster so I’m not worried whoever does it.

Prefer Torres and Konsa as our CB’s and plug the other gaps, not plug a CB role.

• Like 1

All depends on the opposition facing us. Against a bottom half Premier League side I think Ned and Bogarde are ok to start but against a top half side I would prefer to see Cash or Konsa start at RB.  Ned and/or Bogarde would also be ok seeing out the last twenty minutes or so of games.

If we can get Carlos and/or Mings back fit, then for the big games I wonder if we’ll see Konsa shift across to RB again and Carlos or Mings playing alongside Pau making three CB’s and Maatsen coming in to provide the width down the left?

However, I’ll finish where I started, it very much depends on the opposition facing us. 

• Like 1

Seemingly, Unai either doesn't want to play Konsa out of position or, he doesn't trust Carlos to do a job.

He also seems to prefer a more 'solid' away defence and can afford to be a bit more liberal at home.

The Matty Cash injury has probably come a bit sooner than expected meaning that Bogarde and Kosta, are auditioning for those roles and/or being given game time.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of playing players out of position, especially in defence, so I hope the rotation is Cash/Kosta in the long run, with only a CB played out of position in exceptional circumstances.

43 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Agree. 2 pl class left backs, and we bought Maatsen. 

Maatsen is another level to both of them (at least to the Moreno of last season anyway), and is younger and will only get better. Very wise buy.

• Like 3

We have to find a way to sign one in January.

The biggest fudge of the transfer window considering we sold and loaned out so many players in the end.

Bogarde did his best yesterday but clearly CL would be a level above his general experience if he was struggling to contain players who've just come up.

Ned far more promising but again only 18.

Reality is Cash will continue to start majority of games when he's fit again.

Can't even move Konsa there as much as this season given we're a CB light in the squad compared to 12 months ago.

I'd have taken Wan-Bisakka personally, especially once we got in Maatsen.

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Maatsen is another level to both of them (at least to the Moreno of last season anyway), and is younger and will only get better. Very wise buy.

We've solved next summers LB problem before we've solved this summer's RB problem 

To be fair with Ned we've potentially solved our long term RB problem too

Which then leaves us with just the current problem - cash isn't good enough which I think is a bit unfair, he's our weakest link and he's had a bad start (with the pen and the injury) but he can do a job, he's not a disaster 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bogarde did his best yesterday but clearly CL would be a level above his general experience if he was struggling to contain players who've just come up.

This whole CL level stuff is a myth 

Yesterday he played against ayew, with 500+ club and 100+ international games under his belt and ex arsenal ex juve mavidi

Vs young boys he'll play Vs Gambian international ebrima colley

The PL every week will be a tougher challenge than 50% of the CL group stage 

• Like 4

I would try to bed in Ned, certainly whilst Cash is injured, as I think he has the highest potential in that role. He also has a lot of pace so can potentially recover from a bad starting position due to inexperience.

It's a shame as RB was probably our weakest position last season and is even more so this season

Not having upgraded the right back position is not the reason why we have leaked goals so far this season.

Ned is the future for the position and he needs minutes to evolve and make the position his own for the next 5+ years. 

The club can’t afford to bring in a better player which will stunt his development, so Cash is the perfect foil until he gets up to first team speed.

The link with Gert was a replacement for Carlos, but he could also play RB.

The club is not in the position where it can spunk £200,000,000 on players and replace them if they don’t immediately work out. See Chelsea, Man City, Manure etc.

Personally I’d rather have the 18 yo who needs time , yes it will be frustrating at times, but long term will be a positive investment for the clubs long term future. Patience.

Given time either Bogarde or Ned might develop into very good right backs. Too early to write them off this season. Cash when fit is still my first choice. Hopefully Mings is ready to plsy soon and then Konsa can also shift to rb

Edited by PaulC

Still can't understand for the life of me, how Bogarde played RB in front of Ned yesterday ? KN is the future (apparently) in this position, so let him bed in and get experience (with the odd error that comes with gaining said experience).

Don't throw another good kid under the bus by playing him out of position on his PL debut......

Edited by Dillon66

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

While not perfect we have two quality left backs, can’t we play one at right back for a bit.  

Yes the wrong foot but how to play the role and positioning will be intuitive.  

Inverted wingers are a thing so why not full backs.  

I’m not saying it’s ideal but experience and knowledge of the full back position is surely better than inexperience and/or CB experience.  

To be honest I don’t think it’s been as bad as some on here, it’s not been great but not been a disaster so I’m not worried whoever does it.

Prefer Torres and Konsa as our CB’s and plug the other gaps, not plug a CB role.

Agree fully with this. Pick whichever of Maatsen and Digne are more 2 footed, and play them on the right. 

I don't mind Kosta at all, but he's so young. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â