• Ramsey (Bailey 16)
    • Durán (Watkins 61)
    • Barkley (Onana 61)
    • Nedeljkovi (Bogarde 79)
    • Maatsen (Ramsey 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/24 at 22:59

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have a sneaky feeling that Leicester, may take a few points at Home this season......and we may look back, with a warm feeling over this win.

It was a good win. If we can  get Watkins and Bailey firing again like last season we will be okay. Onana getting goals from midfield is a huge bonus plus Duran scoring again gives another option up front.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

We are WIP...We all know that.

Right now, it's expected for us to look, good on the ball. Many fans have us down as a classy team and easy on the eye....on transition, we are up there with the best, and we are learning how to win.

However, compared to the very best, we struggle to stay on the ball when teams come on to us, we like time and space to play, and some of the inferior sides set out to stifle us, and we are not quite good enough YET to over come it, like the better teams can.

There are clear aspects of our game, that have got us to where we are, and other aspects, we need to improve to mix it with the best.

Great progress though.

Needless to say I agree with you 100% on this.  I think this is one of the things that I liked about our business over the summer.  I was gutted when Dougie left - but I can really see the benefits that a Kamara, Onana and Tielemans midfield brings in terms of providing more balance in attack and defence.  Obviously, we're one third of that midfield short still and it will take a few weeks for them to build the kind of understanding that makes great midfields tick.  And yes I would have liked to have kept Dougie and have him in that trio - I think he would have excelled with far more focus on the things he does well and a lot more cover for the areas where he wasn't so good.

I think as well as making our midfield stronger / more combative - we'll also see that it will allow us to attack the teams looking to stifle us - as our flair players don't need to worry as much about being caught on the break.  So we can look to create more space and get more width through our attacking FBs.  The added bonus is that with Onana and Rogers we also have plenty of height and so can find space in the opposition box in different ways (one of the reasons why I think Rogers is a better fit for us than Diaby - without getting into the discussion on who is the "better" player.

More importantly (for me) is that 90% of our January and summer signings seems fully aligned with the plan - so in terms of WIP, I think you can see why they have been signed, how we will look to use them and the improvement that Emery and his team can make to those players and our squad as a whole.  It's not an overnight fix because for many reasons we can't just go out and buy too many ready made solutions - but I can clearly see how as some of our new signings develop and grow they can address some of those areas where we need to improve to really push for the next level.  It just feels like we have a 2, 3, 5 year plan.  Which excites me more than actually going "in all" for one season.

Balance.  Versatility.  Determination.  Confidence (but not arrogance).  Teamwork.  Desire to win.  They're all things that we're getting much better at after a period of time where pretty much none of those words could be used to describe a Villa team.  I'm excited.  And I'm excited that you are excited because I feel if a Villa team is making you happy and me happy then it is going to be a really, really good team because of the way we view the game slightly differently.  It will mean one thing above all else - that we've absolutely nailed BALANCE.

• Like 1

i know we didnt exactly make ourselves look good in the match, but i actually thought Leicester looked decent at times, i can see them surprising a few teams this season, i wouldnt be surprised if they stayed up tbh.

a point from Spurs, narrow defeat to Fulham, narrow defeat to us, not a bad start in context.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 09:59, allani said:

Needless to say I agree with you 100% on this.  I think this is one of the things that I liked about our business over the summer.  I was gutted when Dougie left - but I can really see the benefits that a Kamara, Onana and Tielemans midfield brings in terms of providing more balance in attack and defence.  Obviously, we're one third of that midfield short still and it will take a few weeks for them to build the kind of understanding that makes great midfields tick.  And yes I would have liked to have kept Dougie and have him in that trio - I think he would have excelled with far more focus on the things he does well and a lot more cover for the areas where he wasn't so good.

I think as well as making our midfield stronger / more combative - we'll also see that it will allow us to attack the teams looking to stifle us - as our flair players don't need to worry as much about being caught on the break.  So we can look to create more space and get more width through our attacking FBs.  The added bonus is that with Onana and Rogers we also have plenty of height and so can find space in the opposition box in different ways (one of the reasons why I think Rogers is a better fit for us than Diaby - without getting into the discussion on who is the "better" player.

More importantly (for me) is that 90% of our January and summer signings seems fully aligned with the plan - so in terms of WIP, I think you can see why they have been signed, how we will look to use them and the improvement that Emery and his team can make to those players and our squad as a whole.  It's not an overnight fix because for many reasons we can't just go out and buy too many ready made solutions - but I can clearly see how as some of our new signings develop and grow they can address some of those areas where we need to improve to really push for the next level.  It just feels like we have a 2, 3, 5 year plan.  Which excites me more than actually going "in all" for one season.

Balance.  Versatility.  Determination.  Confidence (but not arrogance).  Teamwork.  Desire to win.  They're all things that we're getting much better at after a period of time where pretty much none of those words could be used to describe a Villa team.  I'm excited.  And I'm excited that you are excited because I feel if a Villa team is making you happy and me happy then it is going to be a really, really good team because of the way we view the game slightly differently.  It will mean one thing above all else - that we've absolutely nailed BALANCE.

I have always been discerning towards our team, because I always want them, to improve. Even though I observe the shortfalls, I am well aware of the improvements we have secured.

Our team has improved beyond recognition, but we have a way to go too.

I have never been one to predict or expect trophies, I have always believed get the small things right, and they will come...Incremental progress, is what gives me satisfaction.

So for this season, I am looking to sustain our goal scoring exploits, and reduce the goals conceded...I think if we can do that, we increase the odds of achieving something.

I am not looking at just the answer in a Maths context, I am looking at the workings out in the margin.

The business of reducing the number of goals conceded, encompasses, many disciplines, not just one and I have every confidence Unai is well aware, and will be working on it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i know we didnt exactly make ourselves look good in the match, but i actually thought Leicester looked decent at times, i can see them surprising a few teams this season, i wouldnt be surprised if they stayed up tbh.

a point from Spurs, narrow defeat to Fulham, narrow defeat to us, not a bad start in context.

I think it's extremely difficult to criticise any away win, its hard enough to win at home in this league.

It wasn't our best, but as you allude to, but we have to respect the opposition and by doing so, we automatically respect ourselves better.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â