• Ramsey (Bailey 16)
    • Durán (Watkins 61)
    • Barkley (Onana 61)
    • Nedeljkovi (Bogarde 79)
    • Maatsen (Ramsey 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/24 at 22:59

Can remember a lot of times Bogarde passed straight to a Leicester player, definitely should have been subbed at halftime.

I think Youri heard them calling him a fat b*****d and rubbed their faces in it.

I was really impressed with us seeing that one out. Unai has coached them so well. Would have been easier had Onana stayed on the pitch but we coped. Had feared the worse when he picked up that early yellow. 

9 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Leicester set themselves up well to negate our strengths.  Rogers surrounded by two defensive midfielders at all times, Vardy playing in the channel between Konsa and our rookie right-back, a big athletic unit at centre-back instead of Westergaard, and being extra physical.  They were helped by a clueless referee.

For our part, we feel into the trap of playing at break-neck speed, lacked composure at times, but also didn't move the ball quickly enough - Rogers especially guilty of holding onto it and trying to bulldoze his way through 2, 3, 4 at a time.  I thought Tielemans was good at times, but also looked nervy at times.  Suppose that's to be expected on his first visit back to his old club.  Duran's goal was a superb header but he still has a lot to learn off the ball.  So many times they were able to play effective balls into the middle because his position/shape was all wrong.  Not a coincidence that they enjoyed the majority of the ball after Watkins went off.  Barkley was very impressive when he came on. 

We did enough to win and it was a good three points away from home.  Happy days!

Emery should have moved Rogers back in my.opinion to give him a bit more space. Interesting comment about Duran off the ball, you mean in the press or general tracking. I didn't.notice it personally

+ Lamare Bogarde, considering it was his debut and was playing out of position, looked really composed on the ball (ignoring a couple of easy passes he got wrong).
+ Ramsey is getting back to his best.
+ Duran is a better super-sub than anyone we could have signed in the window.
+ Barkley had a good cameo and looked sharp going forward.
+ Rogers was still a threat despite Leicester's game plan to try and nullify him.
+ We limited Leicester to very few real chances. I can't remember Emi having to do much apart from claiming a few crosses and diving at Vardy's feet once.
+ Our ability to play our way out of danger is still really impressive to watch. The move in the second half that finished with Ramsey almost getting the ball to Watkins would have been a great goal.
+ Before the Age of Unai we would have drawn or even lost that game.

- With Rogers as a focal point in the attack, Watkins is getting fewer touches per game and I think this is contributing to him snatching at chances.
- We should have killed the game at 2-0 but we never really had control of the midfield at any point in the game. We're lacking a midfielder who can set the tempo in the same way that Luiz did.
- Bogarde is not (yet) viable as a full-back when faced with a pacey opponent. Ayew was basically an extra midfielder so there was no threat, but when Mavididi came on Lamare looked flustered.
- Rogers is going to be targeted by opposition and they will double up on him. He needs to learn to use this to his advantage and play the quick ball when it makes sense rather than trying to steamroller through every time.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I clearly need to watch the game back, because I was there and Youri looked like he was on holiday for most of it, not sure how he's being rated that highly today at all.

It was his work on the ball in the middle, always wanted the ball, progressive, showed his ability in control and passes. He was excellent

14 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

To be fair, for all that people are rightly excited about Tielemans and Onana looking good together, last year we had two of the best midfielders in the league at keeping play going, recycling, keeping the ball. Going to take time to adjust to having neither in there (and hopefully Kamara will be back soon so it’ll only be a short-term thing)

We were really good in the first half of last season at recycling possession with those 2. When Kamara got injured we got worse, although Tielemans is just as technically gifted as Luiz so there should be no falloff there. Onana has been used to playing hoofball under Dyche at Everton of course.

I think Unai is more a pragmatist than a purist, I recall games at home to Spurs and Chelsea towards the end of last season where we had 30% possession or something ridiculous. Granted we had a player sent off against spurs but even before that we were sitting back and letting them have the ball.

This is not in any way a dig at our superb boss, who has taken us to an incredible level, but the results in the 2 games mentioned above (4-0 loss to spurs and scraping a 2-2 against st Chelsea who had lost 5-0 to Arsenal days before and had a goal controversially chalked off in injury time) show that sitting back against the better teams in the league doesn’t work. We need to improve this side of our game even going back to last season IMO.

But look, I’m delighted to have 6 points on the board with some very kind fixtures coming up. I expected 4 or 5 so we’re ahead of where I thought we’d be despite not quite having the window I was hoping for, our main striker yet to fire or our attacking mids, and injuries to players already. So I’m happy with our start.

Edited by Leeroy

16 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You would be hard - pressed to find a striker who isn't going through what Ollie is right now. I think talk of him being dropped is slightly over the top. 

It wouldn't surprise me, in the least, should Ollie get a hat - trick against Everton. He's just lacking that bit of self - confidence that all strikers rely upon.

I love the guy, and respect his overall game.....How many strikers not only score regularly, but come in with a bucket load of assists....very few....and how many in that position stay ever present.

Ollie has his shortfalls as does any striker, as you say Sheepy, confidence... is probably more present in a strikers game, than other positions.

For me, I am just going to forget about him, let him play through this barren spell, JD is right to be banging the drum for a start, but I will let Unai, decide that.

As Churchill once said or words to that effect " when you are going through hell, don't stop, just keep going"...That's my advice to him.

Ollies form will come back, I think he has probably played too many games, needs a mental rest.

Undoubtedly, the Villa fans will be behind him.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â