Rep of Ireland v England/England v Finland

andykeenan

Is this question about singing the national anthem ever raised in other major countries like Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany and France?

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It is slightly different in that he is English

Well, if he's English he should never have played for Ireland. 

I'm probably in a minority here, but I've always been opposed to this 'nationality inherited from parents/grandparents' business. As far as I'm concerned, your birthplace defines your nationality. Yes, there need to be sensible exceptions, such as being born when your parents are on holiday, but otherwise, keep it simple. 

Why are people making a big deal out of it now when he's been the U21 manager for so long. Don't they play the anthem when they line up too? So people would already know the answer. 

I mean, I know the real reason why, it's the gutter Press trying to stir up trouble as usual, but still. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

This "journo" who wrote the piece is as little Englander as you can get. He said England hiring Sven would pretty much turn it into a 3rd world country😂

Most English people would agree that things have gone down hill in recent years. Maybe he's right and it all started with Sven 🤔

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Maguire and Grealish starting and Colwill at left back suggests Carsley is gonna be no better than Cocknose.

As suspected. Continuity name nothing more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Maguire and Grealish starting and Colwill at left back suggests Carsley is gonna be no better than Cocknose.

Maguire 100%

Grealish suggests he will attack 

Colwill is a LCB playing LB, it's an improvement 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Maguire 100%

Grealish suggests he will attack 

Colwill is a LCB playing LB, it's an improvement 

I can understand the Grealish pick a bit more because no Bellingham but I still think he was lucky to make the squad and Maddison was more deserving (or even Rogers). Grealish has been on the bench most of the last 6 months.

At left back it’s fine to have a more defensive minded player due to Trent being so attack minded on the right but I think Lewis would have been the better option who’s had a great start to the season for City.

Don’t particularly care how he lines us up in all honesty. He shouldn’t be in charge for any length of time, let’s not waste these players with another manager with zero pedigree.

11 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Colwill sort of makes sense as it will give TAA more licence to play at RB like he does for his club. Gordon starting on the left probably needed to happen in the Euros. Maguire just walking straight back into the 11 is bizarre though. Should really be picking Konsa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I can understand the Grealish pick a bit more because no Bellingham but I still think he was lucky to make the squad and Maddison was more deserving (or even Rogers). Grealish has been on the bench most of the last 6 months.

At left back it’s fine to have a more defensive minded player due to Trent being so attack minded on the right but I think Lewis would have been the better option who’s had a great start to the season for City.

Every time I've seen Lewis he's been anywhere but LB! He plays a bit like zinchenko where he ends up in midfield 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, if he's English he should never have played for Ireland. 

I'm probably in a minority here, but I've always been opposed to this 'nationality inherited from parents/grandparents' business. As far as I'm concerned, your birthplace defines your nationality. Yes, there need to be sensible exceptions, such as being born when your parents are on holiday, but otherwise, keep it simple. 

Wouldn't go that far but it's weird seeing players playing more than one game for a nation and then switching as Rice did 5 or so years ago.

It’s hilarious when coaches come in and pick the likes of Maguire, probably thinking that they are absolutely genius for their selections because ‘he plays for Man U so must be good’. This is the Man U side which have looked defensively awful in all of their games so far. Until this level of thinking changes, we aren’t going to win a single thing. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â