Rep of Ireland v England/England v Finland

andykeenan

Mixed feelings about this one. Was much happier with the performance in the first half but looked lacklustre in the second half. That said, reasonably happy with the performance. It was nice to see Grealish get some freedom on the pitch, haven't seen that since he was playing for the Villa. 

England gave up, carsley left the subs too late

Probably due to it being early in the season and no one caring but somehow despite how great the first half was that's ended in disappointment, turned off in bout the 87th minute, could have turned off 30 mins earlier when England decided the game was over 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Football not too bad. Although I didn't thnk there could be anyone more boring than Southgate. But I think the FA have found him.

I don't find him boring really. He at least gives confident answers unlike the mumbling Southgate who used to make stuff up cos he had no confidence in his own decisions.

18 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Mixed feelings about this one. Was much happier with the performance in the first half but looked lacklustre in the second half. That said, reasonably happy with the performance. It was nice to see Grealish get some freedom on the pitch, haven't seen that since he was playing for the Villa. 

Patterns of play were still there just not as often. Trent was God awful second half as well which didn't help. Overall I found it very refreshing and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't find him boring really. He at least gives confident answers unlike the mumbling Southgate who used to make stuff up cos he had no confidence in his own decisions.

Early days.

• Like 1

Runners moving past Harry Kane. Funny how it makes us look better.

Not to pick on Kane, but if we pressed any good team like we pressed Ireland they'd play right through us. Kane simply can't press like everyone else, he's not quick enough/can't run.

First half was good, second they dropped off but I think that was by design. It'd be hard to play at that intensity over 2 games in a few days with minimal time to work on systems and patterns of play. I expect that to improve the more time Carsley spends with the players. Much more entertaining though than anything served up by GS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Football not too bad. Although I didn't thnk there could be anyone more boring than Southgate. But I think the FA have found him.

Football wasn’t boring, so that’s fine by me. You don’t win games in the post match interviews.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, if he's English he should never have played for Ireland. 

I'm probably in a minority here, but I've always been opposed to this 'nationality inherited from parents/grandparents' business. As far as I'm concerned, your birthplace defines your nationality. Yes, there need to be sensible exceptions, such as being born when your parents are on holiday, but otherwise, keep it simple. 

I concur it just gives average players a chance to play international football

Don't forget that Ireland have been utter dogshite for 10 years (I'm saying that as a 2nd generation irishman) so only scoring two is a bit embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Don't forget that Ireland have been utter dogshite for 10 years (I'm saying that as a 2nd generation irishman) so only scoring two is a bit embarrassing. 

That's the bizarre thing about it, carsley was playing for a job, first half he's probably getting it, go on and score 5 and give the FA a problem, from about 55 minutes they just gave up and stopped playing, the win was in the bag so they went through the motions...and he did nothing about it for another 20+ mins

He'll still get the job but it was a disappointing end 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the bizarre thing about it, carsley was playing for a job, first half he's probably getting it, go on and score 5 and give the FA a problem, from about 55 minutes they just gave up and stopped playing, the win was in the bag so they went through the motions...and he did nothing about it for another 20+ mins

He'll still get the job but it was a disappointing end 

He's getting the job anyway. It’s obvious the FA want him because they know him. He won’t rock any boats or ruffle any feathers. Continuity Southgate.

The media know it. You only have to listen to the narrative they’ve been pushing.

The bookies know it. There’s no one even close in the odds.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â