Rep of Ireland v England/England v Finland

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Apparently anywhere in the attacking side of midfield.

had never even heard of him.  Don't recall him from our games vs Lille. Weird call up given its not an area we're struggling for decent players in. Lack of a left back is utterly bizarre. And then you have the recall of Maguire.

He's doing nothing to suggest he should get the job full time.

He came on as a sub in both games vs us

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Angel Gomes what type of player is he? 3 goals in 92 games is some stat for anyone other than a right back.

Had the joint most assists in the French league last season. Used to be a pure no 10 in his United days, but has even played holding midfielder after his French move. Also for U21 where Carsley know him from, key player for his team. Extremely press resistant, very skillful, but also very short at 5ft6. Deserve his call up.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Only just seen that the RoI have a new manager. Icelandic too, haven't heard of him, personally, before. 

Think it's the guy who was the goalkeeper during Euro 2016 then became an actor-director isn't it?

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Fits the description of a goalkeeper that's for sure. 

Okay, I've just looked it up and it's not him at all, it's just the guy who managed Iceland in 2016, which when you think about it, is quite a bit more logical :D

Why did I think it was that other lad? Who knows!

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think it's the guy who was the goalkeeper during Euro 2016 then became an actor-director isn't it?

He was the co-manager in 2016 and sole manager in 2018

Plus a dentist 😂

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, I've just looked it up and it's not him at all, it's just the guy who managed Iceland in 2016, which when you think about it, is quite a bit more logical :D

Why did I think it was that other lad? Who knows!

That's what happens when you get "Goalkeepers" on your mind. You go all John Burridge. 😉

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2024 at 21:59, rodders0223 said:

Angel Gomes what type of player is he? 3 goals in 92 games is some stat for anyone other than a right back.

No idea who he is and why he's suddenly international class.

Saying that, if Maguire can get dozens of caps I'm sure anyone can.

Carsley has said he won't be singing GSTK, with predictably angry articles/comments in the Daily Heil etc.

Claims that he's always been too focused on the game to sing the national anthem of either Ireland or England before a game he's played in/managed. Wonder if any old footage of him mumbling along to a few words of Amhrán na bhFiann will emerge before the match... I'm sure the English press will be balanced in its reaction if so

It’s a boring anthem tbh.

To me it’s just not a national anthem. It’s about a deity I don’t believe in and a person/institution I couldn’t care less about.

I wouldn’t mind all of that though if the thing was **** inspiring. Take “I vow to thee my country”…similar subject material but it builds to something uplifting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We're a weird country at times 

Seriously, who gives a **** of the national team manager sings the anthem 

Unfortunately, lots of people. 

But did Sven sing it? Capello? What's the difference? 

Edited by mjmooney

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, lots of people. 

But did Sven sing it? Capello? What's the difference? 

It is slightly different in that he is English

But what did Sven do when we played Sweden? Capello Vs Italy? Jack Charlton when his Ireland team played England? ( Not sure if those 3 things even happened)

It's not hard to just apply a bit of common sense and reasoning, and I'm sure the commentators will mention he played for Ireland at least 5 times before kick off

And even after all of that, the notion that he or any of them have to sing the anthem....what a load of bollocks, of course they don't, it means absolutely nothing

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s a boring anthem tbh.

To me it’s just not a national anthem. It’s about a deity I don’t believe in and a person/institution I couldn’t care less about.

I wouldn’t mind all of that though if the thing was **** inspiring. Take “I vow to thee my country”…similar subject material but it builds to something uplifting.

not like Paquador

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Very funny that however well Carsley does now it will be impossible for him to get the job full time because of how messed a certain proportion of English minds are

Not really. Southgate was judged on what he did  in world cups and euros not nations league gamesand friendlies so what Carsley does in the interim is not worth much.

Edited by PaulC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â