Carabao Cup Third Round Draw

Ceemo

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

just to prove mine and @Rich192 's point. bournemouth 7 changes, brentford 9 changes, southampton 11 changes, plus heavy rotation for the other sides...because they know they have no chance of winning the cup

take city, arsenal, liverpool etc out of the competition, these teams would (or should) go close to full strength

They really wouldn't. The competition would be worthless as it wouldn't have a European spot and attendances would be even lower. It would be a glorified football league trophy. We will probably get Newcastle away now.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

They really wouldn't. The competition would be worthless as it wouldn't have a European spot and attendances would be even lower. It would be a glorified football league trophy. We will probably get Newcastle away now.

the only proposal i'm making is to have the teams in europe not participate. winner still gets a conf league place

• Like 1

Why wouldn't it have a European spot?

In theory if they took the European teams out of the league cup and kept the European place as the prize there would a rotation of "new" teams getting in to Europe each season

Would be great for both the cup and English football 

• Like 1

There is no way the premier league would allow that.  Nor I would think Uefa.

it would go to a vote, for which you need 14 votes in favour. the non-european clubs would vote in favour meaning you'd just need 1 of the 7 teams playing in europe. i'd wager we'd vote in favour considering how little we've taken it seriously in recent seasons. pretty sure uefa won't have a say.

the reason i believe it wouldn't go through is becuase carabao would likely pull their sponsorship if there's no 'big' teams in it

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

it would go to a vote, for which you need 14 votes in favour. the non-european clubs would vote in favour meaning you'd just need 1 of the 7 teams playing in europe. i'd wager we'd vote in favour considering how little we've taken it seriously in recent seasons. pretty sure uefa won't have a say.

the reason i believe it wouldn't go through is becuase carabao would likely pull their sponsorship if there's no 'big' teams in it

The funny thing would be the likes of klopp and pep moan like **** about the fixtures but given the chance to not be in it they would probably have rejected it

You'd have to open up that vote to the EFL too

The sad reality is more clubs will see it as a one off pay day Vs Liverpool or utd on TV than they will about winning something, it's what football is

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

There are only  3 countries in europe that have a second cup competition- England, Scotland (which is the oldest) and Portugal. France scrapped theirs, and Portugal has no European spot. Uefa would prefer none to give them more flexibility to further expand the European competitions and the Premier league attitude is lukewarm at best- the football league wants it to keep going as they run it.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The funny thing would be the likes of klopp and pep moan like **** about the fixtures but given the chance to not be in it they would probably have rejected it

You'd have to open up that vote to the EFL too

The sad reality is more clubs will see it as a one off pay day Vs Liverpool or utd on TV than they will about winning something, it's what football is

i think the teams that would reject it would be those that haven't won a trophy in ages like spurs. city i'm quite sure would not be in it given the choice.

but yes, the EFL would also reject such a proposal due to the money involved for the lower division clubs (that for the most part don't make the 3rd round anyway)

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are bound to be one of the two playing away. 

Correct