Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

2 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I think he was implying that Emery probably doesn't want Sterling.  Or at least it doesn't make sense that he does.

He’s absolutely not saying the first sentence. And the second sentence leads back to the question in my post.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I mean, I don’t want us to sign him, but at least he seems to want to play unlike the other 20+ players in the non-first team squad at that joke of a club 

Indeed. And what a funny old d world we are in where players are issuing press releases to let their manager know they would like to play. Was so much simpler back in the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Also have it on good authority that he got dropped by England for calling Gareth a "clueless cock-nosed wasteman", or something to that effect.

That's another tick in my book.

Sign him up, nothing wrong with his attitude or his perception, well said Raheem! 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

A few years ago when he was competing with Grealish for England he was a waste of space for many in here.

Suddenly when there are links to us he is suddenly a world beater

Not one person in 23 pages has even remotely alluded to Raheem Sterling being a world beater. There could be 23,000,000 pages and no one would say that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I know a few mutuals that are quite close to him and his missus and they always say the two of them are lovely people. (Both do quite a bit of charitable things in Jamaica and here) When he was younger he kept his head down considering the area he grew up in he could’ve been led down a different path. I also still hear he’s a sound guy present day.

I think he’ll be a decent signing for us if the fees are alright, I think he gets a hard time for some reason but he’s been very productive throughout his career. He hasn’t had that great of a time at Chelsea as everyone knows but overall he’s had a good career.

I couldn't see him ever going to Saudi Arabia long-term. Does that comport with your sense?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I couldn't see him ever going to Saudi Arabia long-term. Does that comport with your sense?

I mean I highly doubt he’d consider Saudi, I think if no one wants him in the Prem then he’d consider Germany/Spain. I think he’ll still bet on himself to perform at a top level. Judging from the rumours today, Arsenal are looking for a forward player that doesn’t mind not starting for them. To me it sounds like he’d be perfect for that situation. Their fans seem to want him as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I mean I highly doubt he’d consider Saudi, I think if no one wants him in the Prem then he’d consider Germany/Spain. I think he’ll still bet on himself to perform at a top level. Judging from the rumours today, Arsenal are looking for a forward player that doesn’t mind not starting for them. To me it sounds like he’d be perfect for that situation. Their fans seem to want him as well.

i think arteta has said no

• Like 1

I don't get the idea we need to replace the goals Diaby produced. 

Maybe Luiz but I would assume Tielemans has those covered - though that means no Tielemans at CAM

So in the Premier league that is what 14 GCs + 3 OG for Diaby, 8 GCs for CAM Youri, 2 for Zaniolo, 2 from Ramsey, 4 for Rogers. That's 33 GCs from our LW and CAM spot last year (minus Mcginn who I assume with have similar minutes). 

I think you can reasonably expect Rogers and Ramsey to each get 7 goals and 7 assists each (Hourihane had that in our relegation battling season for instance), Philogene you'd expect to get 3 or 4 of each too.

We clearly focused on improvement defensively, so treading water on offence, with the exception of Duran and the Rogers/Ramsey improvements should be more than fine. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't mind Raheem at all, but I worry about our recruitment staff getting drawn into a wasteful time-suck over him. Whether you like him or not, the fact is, an RB or an RB/CB seem more pressing needs for focus. I think we're capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, but there have got be limits and so many hours of the day. How much time did that whole "Joaoker" fiasco take up? Maybe a lot. Maybe not much. We may never know. All this brinksmanship is opaque. But that kind of time-waste worries me if it's happening.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

This is absolutely nothing personal, but I really hate this as a response.

It clearly isnt the individuals money, but that doesn't mean we arent entitled to feel concerned about how the club (potentially) spends it's money. If we paid everyone 200k a week and we fell foul of squad cost rules/PSR/went bankrupt in 5 years would that be ok because "it isnt my money" ?

If we matched Sterling's rumoured current wages then that is a bad way to spend money. It's absolutely no different to saying "why are we spending £50m on that player?", yet that isnt the individuals money either.

Hell even if we only took on half his wages which is 160k a week that would leave him as the highest earner at our club. And would cost us 8 million for the season (or maybe slightly less because we are already in August but oyu get my point). 

That is a significant hit to our financial structure and is the equivalent of us spending 20 mil on a player who earns 80k a week. I'd much rather use the funds for sterling if there are any to add to a signing we might otherwise make to get a better player. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Indeed. And what a funny old d world we are in where players are issuing press releases to let their manager know they would like to play. Was so much simpler back in the day.

In fairness there must be a big old queue outside the manager's office

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

image.png.eb0720e86ec66ae30cfdb94c3d872fbf.png

Cannot believe people are still carping  on about this. Sterling has no plaice at our Chubb

• Like 1

Even without the ridiculous statement over the weekend from "his team" talking about being ready & wondering why he wasn't picked, despite being told by the manager on the Friday before that he was going to be surplus to requirements, I wouldn't want Villa to bring in Sterling. 
He was a fine player when he was younger, but he has been on the decline for a couple of years & I wouldn't want his wages or "his team" anywhere near the club.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â