Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I mean, I don’t want us to sign him, but at least he seems to want to play unlike the other 20+ players in the non-first team squad at that joke of a club 

Fair point

Any interest in Sterling would make little sense to me for a few reasons. 

Emery's recent signings are mostly of a certain profile - young, tall and athletic as well a technical.   Sterling is small, fast but not very technical (PLs most effective "scuffer" of a ball), nor young.

We already have Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey, Buendia, Mcginn and Bailey for the areas Sterling is most suited to.

Ridiculous wages even if he takes a 50% cut.

I've never thought he was all that good.  Does everything at 100mph and lacks composure.

The only thing he has to offer is experience.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Any interest in Sterling would make little sense to me for a few reasons. 

Emery's recent signings are mostly of a certain profile - young, tall and athletic as well a technical.   Sterling is small, fast but not very technical (PLs most effective "scuffer" of a ball), nor young.

We already have Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey, Buendia, Mcginn and Bailey for the areas Sterling is most suited to.

Ridiculous wages even if he takes a 50% cut.

I've never thought he was all that good.  Does everything at 100mph and lacks composure.

The only thing he has to offer is experience.

We have no idea how much this is journalistic fantasy or CFC/agent-driven spin.

But…

Just supposing it’s a serious possibility, and Emery and Monchi fancy having Sterling in the squad for our first Championship League season, but @El Segundo doesn’t…

Whose opinion should hold sway? It’s a tough one. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuinely think the reason this kid is considered to have a bad attitude is pure racism. He’s probably not the perfect human being but the media see a young black man with lots of money and it’s an easy target. Pundits and pro’s often come out and say he’s a top bloke.

Dunno. There are a thousand reasons why we would/wouldn’t want Sterling. Not convinced his personality one is much of a factor. 

Potentially - probably is an element of that from some people. 

Although I'm basing my assessment of his character on the interview he did when he wanted to leave Liverpool and the statement he released last week. Both of those indicate to me he's a bad apple. 

Of course I could be wrong, he could be the loveliest bloke in the world. But those 2 actions make me think he wouldn't be great for the changing room. 

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

But…

Just supposing it’s a serious possibility, and Emery and Monchi fancy having Sterling in the squad for our first Championship League season, but @El Segundo doesn’t…

Whose opinion should hold sway? It’s a tough one. 

I think he was implying that Emery probably doesn't want Sterling.  Or at least it doesn't make sense that he does.

He is one of the best players ive seen from the angle of ambition exceeding talent. Scoreboard juggernaught.

Doesnt seem to fit the setup or tactical approach but if he can emulate the threat he has been over the years..

Well, he's not too far from being a decent replacement for Diaby

• Like 1

To those saying it's an issue of wages, it's not your money and it could be a loan? Really not important unless we are signing him for multiple years, which seems highly unlikely.

He could potentially be an excellent short-term solution in a position where we lack a proper out-and-out second-striker in a CL season. He's more reliable in terms of output than Felix would've been.

Would also presumably be content not starting every game. The idea he has an attitude problem is frankly a myth perpetuated by certain parts of the media with a certain agenda.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

To those saying it's an issue of wages, it's not your money and it could be a loan? Really not important

This is absolutely nothing personal, but I really hate this as a response.

It clearly isnt the individuals money, but that doesn't mean we arent entitled to feel concerned about how the club (potentially) spends it's money. If we paid everyone 200k a week and we fell foul of squad cost rules/PSR/went bankrupt in 5 years would that be ok because "it isnt my money" ?

If we matched Sterling's rumoured current wages then that is a bad way to spend money. It's absolutely no different to saying "why are we spending £50m on that player?", yet that isnt the individuals money either.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

This is absolutely nothing personal, but I really hate this as a response.

It clearly isnt the individuals money, but that doesn't mean we arent entitled to feel concerned about how the club (potentially) spends it's money. If we paid everyone 200k a week and we fell foul of squad cost rules/PSR/went bankrupt in 5 years would that be ok because "it isnt my money" ?

If we matched Sterling's rumoured current wages then that is a bad way to spend money. It's absolutely no different to saying "why are we spending £50m on that player?", yet that isnt the individuals money either.

Instantly pictured this.... 🤣

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why is this thread still going? We’ve said everything already 

Hooked on the hook to a Sterling tune.

Carrying on.

Would you have it any other way?

Edited by A'Villan

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

To those saying it's an issue of wages, it's not your money and it could be a loan? Really not important unless we are signing him for multiple years, which seems highly unlikely.

He could potentially be an excellent short-term solution in a position where we lack a proper out-and-out second-striker in a CL season. He's more reliable in terms of output than Felix would've been.

Would also presumably be content not starting every game. The idea he has an attitude problem is frankly a myth perpetuated by certain parts of the media with a certain agenda.

Why not just say racist? Nothing about Sterling has ever indicated he would happy to sit on a bench.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If the financials are right this would be an exceptional signing 

A few years ago when he was competing with Grealish for England he was a waste of space for many in here.

Suddenly when there are links to us he is suddenly a world beater

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I mean, we do a bit. Emery's made a measured statement. They're clearly weighing the variables -- skills, costs/benefits, and above all, whether he would fit. It's not a snap decision. I think Emery is gathering and assessing information. He's more or less stated that today, unless the news has moved on?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I know a few mutuals that are quite close to him and his missus and they always say the two of them are lovely people. (Both do quite a bit of charitable things in Jamaica and here) When he was younger he kept his head down considering the area he grew up in he could’ve been led down a different path. I also still hear he’s a sound guy present day.

I think he’ll be a decent signing for us if the fees are alright, I think he gets a hard time for some reason but he’s been very productive throughout his career. He hasn’t had that great of a time at Chelsea as everyone knows but overall he’s had a good career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact this thread is still going worries me. Either we are legitimately interested or we're so desperate for any transfer news we'll take anything. 

As I said earlier, I hate the idea of Sterling as Villa. Not a fan of him.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â