Raheem Sterling

MaVilla

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Well, they will wait to see if they get a better offer from somewhere else first. 

That's the way I saw it yesterday and how it's been reported. We obviously have a good relationship internally with Chelsea with the recent player trades so they've probably offered him to us straight away just to flush out some more offers from abroad.

If nothing materialises then he'll still be there for us next Friday evening.

Believe me after what we did with Coutinho we aren't offering someone about to hit 30 a four year deal. It would just be a year's loan with favourable options for us, no different to Lenglet coming here 12 months ago when Barca needed to shift him.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

This would be another journey man signing by Villa. It just doesn’t equate to this window’s buying policy. Villa should be looking at Sancho but not at the original quote price of 40m. I’m sure Man U would agree to and loan to buy deal for around 30m.

And people say Sterling has a bad attitude. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All depends on how much hunger and desire he still has, it’s mental to think he’s not 30 yet, feels like he’s been around forever, reality is he’s already had a ‘full career’ having been in first team football from such a young age, I worry that it’s just not there any more. 

If he's giving the big 'un about wanting to get back in the England squad and gets his agency to call out Chelsea when they drop him it would be a bit bizarre he moves somewhere and dosen't do much. This should be the most motivated he's been in years to prove people wrong.

Mind you I thought all this about Barkley when he first came in 2020 and after the decent first five games he was incredibly underwhelming for the rest of his spell.

I do get the age thing though. Does feel like players who are playing week in week out at 18 burn out far more quickly at top level, Fabregas and Theo Walcott very similar when you look at their careers.

• Like 1

Whilst I would err on the side of "leave this one well alone", I can't help but feel fascinated at the thought of Unai fancying revitalising Sterling's career. It would be so like him.
We have a very young relatively inexperienced squad, so we can easily accommodate him. It would have to be a very favourable deal too of course, with Chelsea paying most of his wages. We'd have to be able to chin him off if he's being a pain in the arse or phoning it in.

I watch this with a Roger Moore-esque eyebrow cocked, but expect it will probably come to nowt.

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

1. Maybe international team mate deserved it, not everyone is friends in football

I'm not standing up for him per se, but you seem to have an irrational hatred of a lot of people in football...

It was days after the club game and unprovoked attacked him in the England canteen. 

Is a lot of clearings in the woods in football 

Edited by Zatman

33 minutes ago, striker said:

This would be another journey man signing by Villa. It just doesn’t equate to this window’s buying policy. Villa should be looking at Sancho but not at the original quote price of 40m. I’m sure Man U would agree to and loan to buy deal for around 30m.

Mr bad attitude and poor trainer, no thanks.  If it’s a choice between Sterling and Sancho I’d pick Sterling because he has a good attitude and a nice bloke according to former colleagues.  That goes a long way in a great dressing room like we have.

31 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I can’t see what Sterling can offer Villa right now. For £300k a week we gain an out of form, experienced DOB, that may still be slightly better than what we already have. 

Even on a reduced wage loan, we putting him in our shop window with game time to keep his value for Chelsea, at the expense of our own players game time. 

loan to buy or straight buy, we have to give him a contract to the end of his career, because no matter how good Emery might be able to make him, we won’t be able to sell him. (Much like Carlos, Digne, Moreno) 

JJ, Rogers and Philogene, need that game time he will take for their own development.  Bailey and Buendia need that time for their own value. 

All these players are/will be good enough for what we trying to do. Sterling really only offers experience and i don’t believe that is worth anything close to what we’d have to pay him. 

There is no way we’re paying him £300k a week, it will be a fraction of that with Chelsea paying the rest.

Developing players is all well and good, but Emery is also here to win. The experience of someone like Sterling could prove vital if we were to make the knockout stages of the CL, at a point in the season we’re likely to have injuries. Would you be happy rocking up to the Bernebeu or San Siro with Philogene in the starting XI because Bailey got injured? We saw what happened last season, we didn’t have the players fit to push on and win the ECL.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

There is no way we’re paying him £300k a week, it will be a fraction of that with Chelsea paying the rest.

Developing players is all well and good, but Emery is also here to win. The experience of someone like Sterling could prove vital if we were to make the knockout stages of the CL, at a point in the season we’re likely to have injuries. Would you be happy rocking up to the Bernebeu or San Siro with Philogene in the starting XI because Bailey got injured? We saw what happened last season, we didn’t have the players fit to push on and win the ECL.

We not paying that and we going to be playing Philogene at the Bernebeu, because we are not going to sign him. 

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Best thing we can do for us right now, is leave him to be a financial burden for chelsea

He can play for us AND be a financial burden for Chelsea.

• Like 1

This whole thread is defective, for it's predicated on the idea that we're in talks with Chelsea, but according to Romano who often speaks for Chelsea and maybe ourselves, so I would believe him on this matter, we haven't even made an approach. Not even worth worth worrying about the link as it stands

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Here's Romano speaking about Sterling, I've helpfully linked to the exact moment he talks about the link to us

5 more pages of this rubbish since was confirmed BS by Romano and the original paper talk based on Chelsea have offered Sterling to Villa. Delete this thread already

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, juteface said:

Hard no from me. The wages alone are stupid.

Nobody will pay those wages. Chelsea will have to pay a large proportion of them.

37 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Best thing we can do for us right now, is leave him to be a financial burden for chelsea

If all teams said no to Chelsea's cast offs, then it might serve as a valuable lesson to that team and the players for the future.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Also, is he going to be releasing a statement every time he doesn't get any minutes? No thanks.

I mean, I don’t want us to sign him, but at least he seems to want to play unlike the other 20+ players in the non-first team squad at that joke of a club 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â